Introduction: The problem of constipation in Poland concerns 13.4% of the healthy population. In the case of patients treated with opioids, this number increases to 70-90%, which constitutes a serious problem that lowers the patients’ quality of life. The aim of the study was to assess the effects of abdominal massage, which successfully reduces constipation in various diseases, on palliative care patients. Material and methods: The research included 18 patients of a palliative care facility (mean age 78.3 ± 10 years), 11 of whom completed the study. The study participants were randomly divided into two groups, i.e. a pilot group (abdominal massage and kinesiotherapy) and a control group (kinesiotherapy). The therapy lasted 8 weeks and blind evaluation was carried out once per week. The study involved evaluating constipation intensity (The Bowel Function Index), the frequency of defecation (medical documentation) and abdomen circumference (anthropometric tape). The collected data were analysed statistically with the use of Statistica software. Results: The observed differences between the studied groups undergoing different therapies in subsequent weeks were not statistically significant. However, in the group in which abdominal massage was implemented, a decrease in the intensity of constipation, an increase in the frequency of defecation and a reduction in abdomen circumference were noted compared to the control group. The patients also indicated additional positive effects of this form of therapy, i.e. an improvement in breathing, easier urination, release of excessive gas and abdominal pain reduction. Conclusions: The collected data led to the conclusion that abdominal massage may result in a decrease in disorders accompanying opioid-induced constipation. Therefore, it is worth considering the implementation of this form of therapy in the case of patients in an advanced stage of cancer. There is also a need for further research in this field which will include a larger number of patients.
1. Pare P, Ferrazzi S, Thompson WG, Irvine EJ, Rance L. An epidemiological survey of constipation in Canada: definitions, rates, demographics, and predictors of health care seeking. Am J Gastroenterol 2001;96:3130-7.
2. Ziółkowski B, Pacholec A, Kudlicka M, Ehrmann A, Muszyński J. Prevalence of abdominal symptoms in the Polish population. Prz Gastroenterol 2012;7(1):20-5.
3. Sykes N. The relationship between opioid use and laxative use in terminally ill cancer patients. Palliat Med 1998;12(5):375-82.
4. Sykes N. The pathogenesis of constipation. J Support Oncol 2006; 4(5):213-8.
5. Wójcik A, Dzierżanowski T, Wadelik M. Zaparcie. In: Wójcik A, Pyszora A, editors. Fizjoterapia w opiece paliatywnej. Warszawa: PZWL; 2013.p.119-28.
6. Larkin PJ, Sykes NP, Centeno C, Ellershaw JE, Elsner F, Eugene B, et al. The management of constipation in palliative care: clinical practice recommendations. Palliat Med 2008;22(7):796-807.
8. Leppert W. The impact of opioid analgesics on the gastrointestinal tract function and the current management possibilities. Contemp Oncol (Pozn) 2012;16(2):125-31.
9. Dzierżanowski T. Zaburzenia jelitowe wywołane opioidami u pacjentów z chorobą nowotworową. Med Paliat 2012;4:57-66.
10. Bosshard W, Dreher R, Schnegg JF, Buela CJ. The Treatment of Chronic Constipation in Elderly People An Update. Drugs Aging 2004;21(14):911-30.
11. Gürsen C, Kerem Günel M, Kaya S, Kav T, Akbayrak T. Effect of Connective Tissue Manipulation on Symptoms and Quality of Life in Patients With Chronic Constipation: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2015;38(5):335-43.
12. Leung RW, Fung BK, Fung LC, Meng WC, Lau PY, Yip AW. The efficacy of a multidisciplinary approach to the management of constipation: a case series. Journal of the ACP in Womens Health 2008;102:36-44.
13. Dzierżanowski T, Ciałkowska-Rysz A. Behavioral risk factors of constipation in palliative care patients. Support Care Cancer 2015;23(6):1787-93.
14. Leppert W. Leczenie objawowe ze strony przewodu pokarmowego u chorych w medycynie paliatywnej. Now Lek 2011;80(1):47-57.
15. Leppert W, Dzierżanowski T, Stachowiak A, Ciałkowska-Rysz A, Pyszkowska J. Zaparcie stolca u chorych na nowotwory - zalecenia postępowania Grupy Ekspertów Polskiego Towarzystwa Medycyny Paliatywnej. Med Paliat 2014;6(3):117-26.
16. Librach SL, Bouvette M, De Angelis C, Farley J, Oneschuk D, Pereira JL, et al. Consensus recommendations for the management of constipation in patients with advanced, progressive illness. J Pain Symptom Manage 2010;40(5):761-73.
17. Rao SS, Kavlock R, Rao S. Influence of body position and stool characteristics on defecation in humans. Am J Gastroenterol 2006;101(12):2790-6.
18. Krassioukov A, Eng JJ, Claxton G, Sakakibara BM, Shum S. Neurogenic bowel management after spinal cord injury: A systematic review of the evidence. Spinal Cord 2010;48(10):718-33.
19. Dalal S, Del Fabbro E, Bruera E. Symptom control in palliative care-Part I: oncology as a paradigmatic example. J Palliat Med 2006;9(2):391-408.
20. Leung FW. Myths about etiologic factors of chronic constipation: scientific evidence. Adv Stud Med 2006;6(2A):67-73.
21. Chase JW, Stillman BC, Gibb SM, Clarke MC, Robertson VJ, Catto-Smith AG, et al. Trunk strength and mobility changes in children with slow transit constipation. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009;24(12):1876-84.
22. Lau PY, Fung B, Meng WC, Leung R, Yip AW, So SP, et al. Efficacy of multidisciplinary approach in treatment of constipation: a pilot study. Hong Kong Med J 2006;12(6):415-8.
23. McClurg D, Hagen S, Hawkins S, Lowe-Strong A. Abdominal massage for the alleviation of constipation symptoms in people with multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled feasibility study. Mult Scler 2011;17(2):223-33.
24. Sinclair M. The use of abdominal massage to treat chronic constipation. J Bodyw Mov Ther 2011;15(4):436-45.
25. Tekgündüz KŞ, Gürol A, Apay SE, Caner I. Effect of abdomen massage for prevention of feeding intolerance in preterm infants. Ital J Pediatr. 2014 in press doi:
26. Janssen TW, Prakken ES, Hendriks JM, Lourens C, van der Vlist J, Smit CA. Electromechanical abdominal massage and colonic function in individuals with a spinal cord injury and chronic bowel problems. Spinal Cord 2014;52(9):693-6.
27. Higginson IJ, Costantini M. Dying with cancer, living well with advanced cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2008;44(10):1414-24.
28. Ueberall MA, Müller-Lissner S, Bushmann-Kramm C, Bosse B. The Bowel Function Index for evaluating constipation in pain patients: definition of a reference range for a non-constipated population of pain patients. J Int Med Res 2011;39(1):41-50.
29. Przyłuska-Fiszer A, Wójcik A. Problemy metodologiczne badań naukowych w opiece paliatywnej. Diametros 2009;19:119-31.
30. Brzeziński J. Metodologia badań psychologicznych. Warszawa: PWN; 2004.
31. Rentz AM, van Hanswijck de Jonge P, Leyendecker P, Hopp M. Observational, nonintervention, multicenter study for validation of the Bowel Function Index for constipation in European countries. Curr Med Res Opin 2011;27(1):35-44.
32. Rentz AM, Yu R, Müller-Lissner S, Leyendecker P. Validation of the Bowel Function Index to detect clinically meaningful changes in opioid-induced constipation. J Med Econ 2009;12(4):371-83.
33. Hanai A, Ishiguro H, Sozu T, Tsuda M, Arai H, Mitani A, et al. Effects of a self-management program on antiemetic-induced constipation during chemotherapy among breast cancer patients: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2016;155(1):99-107.
34. Kahraman BB, Ozdemir L. The impact of abdominal massage administered to intubated and enterally fed patients on the development of ventilator-associated pneumonia: a randomized controlled study. Int J Nurs Stud 2015;52(2):519-24.
35. Lai TKT, Cheung MC, Lo CK, Ng KL, FungYH, Tong M, et al. Effectiveness of aroma massage on advanced cancer patients with constipation: A pilot study. Complement Ther Clin Pract 2011;17(1):37-43.
36. Connor M, Hunt C, Lindley A, Adams J. Using abdominal massage in bowel management. Nurs Stand 2014;28(45):37-42.
37. McClurg D, Walker K, Aitchison P, Jamieson K, Dickinson L, Paul L, et al. Abdominal Massage for the Relief of Constipation in People with Parkinson’s: A Qualitative Study. Parkinsons Dis 2016 in press doi: