Background. Small molecules that inhibit V600 mutated BRAF protein, such as vemurafenib and dabrafenib, are effective in treatment of metastatic melanoma.
Case report. We here describe the clinical course of a V600E BRAF mutated metastatic melanoma patient with systemic disease, who developed tumor progression on superficial soft-tissue metastases during treatment with dabrafenib. Bleomycin electrochemotherapy during dabrafenib treatment was administered to control the soft-tissue progressing metastases and ensured sustained local control without significant toxicity.
Conclusions. The new combined approach maintained the patient quality of life and allowed for the prosecution of the target therapy, which proved to be still effective on systemic disease, up to 17 months
1. Chapman PB, Hauschild A, Robert C, Haanen JB, Ascierto P, Larkin J, et al. Improved survival with vemurafenib in melanoma with BRAF V600E mutation. N Engl J Med 2011; 364: 2507-16.
2. Hauschild A, Grob JJ, Demidov LV, Jouary T, Gutzmer R, Millward M, et al. Dabrafenib in BRAF-mutated metastatic melanoma: a multicentre, openlabel, phase 3 randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2012; 380: 358-65.
3. Flaherty KT, Infante JR, Daud A, Gonzalez R, Kefford RF, Sosman J, et al. Combined BRAF and MEK inhibition in melanoma with BRAF V600 mutations. N Engl J Med 2012; 367: 1694-703.
4. Mattei PL, Alora-Palli MB, Kraft S, Lawrence DP, Flaherty KT, Kimball AB. Cutaneous effects of BRAF inhibitor therapy: a case series. Ann Oncol 2013; 24: 530-7.
5. Ribas A, Hodi FS, Callahan M, Konto C, Wolchok J. Hepatotoxicity with combination of vemurafenib and ipilimumab. N Engl J Med 2013; 368: 1365-6.
6. Rompoti N, Schilling B, Livingstone E, Griewank K, Hillen U, Sauerwein W, et al. Combination of BRAF inhibitors and brain radiotherapy in patients with metastatic melanoma shows minimal acute toxicity. J Clin Oncol 2013; 31: 3844-5.
7. Ducassou A, David I, Delannes M, Chevreau C, Sibaud V. Radiosensitization induced by vemurafenib. Cancer Radiother 2013; 17: 304-7.
8. Sersa G, Miklavcic D, Cemazar M, Rudolf Z, Pucihar G, Snoj M. Electrochemotherapy in treatment of tumours. Eur J Surg Oncol 2008; 34: 232-40.
9. Campana LG, Valpione S, Mocellin S, Sundararajan R, Granziera E, Sartore L, et al. Electrochemotherapy for disseminated superficial metastases from malignant melanoma. Br J Surg 2012; 99: 821-30.
10. Mir LG, L; Sersa, G; Collins, CG; Garbaya, GR; Billard, V; Geertsend, PF; et al. Standard operating procedures of the electrochemotherapy: Instructions for the use of bleomycin or cisplatin administered either systemically or locally and electric pulses delivered by the CliniporatorTM by means of invasive or non-invasive electrodes. EJC Suppl 2006; 4: 14-25.
11. Belehradek M, Domenge C, Luboinski B, Orlowski S, Belehradek J, Jr., Mir LM. Electrochemotherapy, a new antitumor treatment. First clinical phase I-II trial. Cancer 1993; 72: 3694-700.
12. Matthiessen LW, Chalmers RL, Sainsbury DC, Veeramani S, Kessell G, Humphreys AC, et al. Management of cutaneous metastases using electrochemotherapy. Acta Oncol 2011; 50: 621-9.
13. Campana LG, Testori A, Mozzillo N, Rossi CR. Treatment of metastatic melanoma with electrochemotherapy. J Surg Oncol 2014; 109: 301-7.
14. Mali B, Jarm T, Snoj M, Sersa G, Miklavcic D. Antitumor effectiveness of electrochemotherapy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Surg Oncol 2013; 39: 4-16.
15. Mali B, Miklavcic D, Campana LG, Cemazar M, Sersa G, Snoj M, et al. Tumor size and effectiveness of electrochemotherapy. Radiol Oncol 2013; 47: 32-41.
16. Gerlini G, Sestini S, Di Gennaro P, Urso C, Pimpinelli N, Borgognoni L. Dendritic cells recruitment in melanoma metastasis treated by electrochemotherapy. Clin Exp Metastasis 2013; 30: 37-45.
17. Sersa G, Kotnik V, Cemazar M, Miklavcic D, Kotnik A. Electrochemotherapy with bleomycin in SA-1 tumor-bearing mice--natural resistance and immune responsiveness. Anticancer Drugs 1996; 7: 785-91.
18. Wilmott JS, Long GV, Howle JR, Haydu LE, Sharma RN, Thompson JF, et al. Selective BRAF inhibitors induce marked T-cell infiltration into human metastatic melanoma. Clin Cancer Res 2012; 18: 1386-94.
19. Schilling B, Paschen A. Immunological consequences of selective BRAF inhibitors in malignant melanoma: Neutralization of myeloid-derived suppressor cells. Oncoimmunology 2013; 2: e25218.