Background. Electrochemotherapy is a tumour ablation modality, based on electroporation of the cell membrane, allowing non-permeant anticancer drugs to enter the cell, thus augmenting their cytotoxicity by orders of magnitude. In preclinical studies, bleomycin and cisplatin proved to be the most suitable for clinical use. Intravenous administration of cisplatin for electrochemotherapy is still not widely accepted in the clinics, presumably due to its lower antitumor effectiveness, but adjuvant therapy by immunomodulatory or vascular-targeting agents could provide a way for its potentiation. Hence, the aim of the present study was to explore the possibility of adjuvant tumour necrosis factor α (TNF-α) therapy to potentiate antitumor effectiveness of electrochemotherapy with intravenous cisplatin administration in murine sarcoma.
Materials and methods. In vivo study was designed to evaluate the effect of TNF-α applied before or after the electrochemotherapy and to evaluate the effect of adjuvant TNF-α on electrochemotherapy with different cisplatin doses.
Results. A synergistic interaction between TNF-α and electrochemotherapy was observed. Administration of TNF-α before the electrochemotherapy resulted in longer tumour growth delay and increased tumour curability, and was significantly more effective than TNF-α administration after the electrochemotherapy. Tumour analysis revealed increased platinum content in tumours, TNF-α induced blood vessel damage and increased tumour necrosis after combination of TNF-α and electrochemotherapy, indicating an anti-vascular action of TNF-α. In addition, immunomodulatory effect might have contributed to curability rate of the tumours.
Conclusion. Adjuvant intratumoural TNF-α therapy synergistically contributes to electrochemotherapy with intravenous cisplatin administration. Due to its potentiation at all doses of cisplatin, the combined treatment is predicted to be effective also in tumours, where the drug concentration is suboptimal or in bigger tumours, where electrochemotherapy with intravenous cisplatin is not expected to be sufficiently effective.
1. Marty M, Sersa G, Garbay J, Gehl J, Collins C, Snoj M, et al. Electrochemo therapy - An easy, highly effective and safe treatment of cutaneous and subcutaneous metastases: Results of ESOPE (European Standard Operating Procedures of Electrochemotherapy) study. EJC Suppl 2006; 4: 3-13.
2. Mali B, Jarm T, Snoj M, Sersa G, Miklavcic D. Antitumor effectiveness of ele ctrochemotherapy: A systematic review and meta-analysis. EJSO 2013; 39: 4-16.
3. Testori A, Tosti G, Martinoli C, Spadola G, Cataldo F, Verrecchia F, et al. Electrochemotherapy for cutaneous and subcutaneous tumor lesions: A novel therapeutic approach. Dermatol Ther 2010; 23: 651-61.
4. Soden DM, Larkin JO, Collins CG, Tangney M, Aarons S, Piggott J, et al. Succ essful application of targeted electrochemotherapy using novel flexible electrodes and low dose bleomycin to solid tumours. Cancer Lett 2006; 232: 300-10.
5. Mahmood F, Gehl J. Optimizing clinical performance and geometrical robustnes s of a new electrode device for intracranial tumor electroporation. Bioelectrochem 2011; 81: 10-6.
6. Agerholm-Larsen B, Iversen HK, Ibsen P, Moller JM, Mahmood F, Jensen KS, et al. Preclinical validation of electrochemotherapy as an effective treatment for brain tumors. Cancer Res 2011; 71: 3753-62.
7. Edhemovic I, Gadzijev EM, Brecelj E, Miklavcic D, Kos B, Zupanic A, et al. E lectrochemotherapy: a new technological approach in treatment of metastases in the liver. Technol Cancer Res T 2011; 10: 475-85.
8. Linnert M, Iversen HK, Gehl J. Multiple brain metastases - current managemen t and perspectives for treatment with electrochemotherapy. Radiol Oncol 2012; 46: 271-8.
9. Fini M, Salamanna F, Parrilli A, Martini L, Cadossi M, Maglio M, et al. Elec trochemotherapy is effective in the treatment of rat bone metastases. Clin Exp Metastasis 2013; 30: 1033-45.
10. Fini M, Tschon M, Ronchetti M, Cavani F, Bianchi G, Mercuri M, et al. Ablat ion of bone cells by electroporation. J Bone Joint Surg BR 2010; 92: 1614-20.
11. Edhemovic I, Brecelj E, Gasljevic G, Marolt Music M, Gorjup V, Mali B, et a l. Intraoperative electrochemotherapy of colorectal liver metastases. J Surg Oncol 2014; 110: 320-7.
12. Sersa G, Stabuc B, Cemazar M, Jancar B, Miklavcic D, Rudolf Z. Electrochemo therapy with cisplatin: potentiation of local cisplatin antitumour effectiveness by application of electric pulses in cancer patients. Eur J Cancer 1998; 34: 1213-8.
13. Sersa G, Stabuc B, Cemazar M, Miklavcic D, Rudolf Z. Electrochemotherapy wi th cisplatin: The systemic antitumour effectiveness of cisplatin can be potentiated locally by the application of electric pulses in the treatment of malignant melanoma skin metastases. Melanoma Res 2000; 10: 381-85.
14. Cemazar M, Miklavcic D, Vodovnik L, Jarm T, Rudolf Z, Stabuc B, et al. Impr oved therapeutic effect of electrochemotherapy with cisplatin by intratumoral drug administration and changing of electrode orientation for electropermeabilization on EAT tumors in mice. Radiol Oncol 1995; 29: 121-27.
15. Jarm T, Cemazar M, Miklavcic D, Sersa G. Antivascular effects of electroche motherapy: implications in treatment of bleeding metastases. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 2010; 10: 729-46.
16. Calvet CY, Famin D, Andre FM, Mir LM. Electrochemotherapy with bleomycin in duces hallmarks of immunogenic cell death in murine colon cancer cells. Oncoimmunology 2014; 3: e28131.
17. Goetz FW, Planas JV, MacKenzie S. Tumor necrosis factors. Dev Comp Immunol 2004; 28: 487-97.
18. Mocellin S, Rossi CR, Pilati P, Nitti D. Tumor necrosis factor, cancer and anticancer therapy. Cytokine Growth F R 2005; 16: 35-53.
19. Cemazar M, Miklavcic D, Scancar J, Dolzan V, Golouh R, Sersa G. Increased p latinum accumulation in SA-1 tumour cells after in vivo electrochemotherapy with cisplatin. Brit J Cancer 1999; 79: 1386-91.
20. Campana LG, Mali B, Sersa G, Valpione S, Giorgi CA, Strojan P, et al. Elect rochemotherapy in non-melanoma head and neck cancers: a retrospective analysis of the treated cases. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2014; 52: 957-64.
21. Campana LG, Valpione S, Falci C, Mocellin S, Basso M, Corti L, et al. The a ctivity and safety of electrochemotherapy in persistent chest wall recurrence from breast cancer after mastectomy: a phase-II study. Breast Cancer Res Tr 2012; 134: 1169-78.
22. Campana LG, Mocellin S, Basso M, Puccetti O, De Salvo GL, Chiarion-Sileni V , et al. Bleomycin-based electrochemotherapy: Clinical outcome from a single institution’s experience with 52 patients. Ann Surg Oncol 2009; 16: 191-99.
23. Campana LG, Valpione S, Mocellin S, Sundararajan R, Granziera E, Sartore L, et al. Electrochemotherapy for disseminated superficial metastases from malignant melanoma. Brit J Surg 2012; 99: 821-30.
24. Mali B, Miklavcic D, Campana LG, Cemazar M, Sersa G, Snoj M, et al. Tumor s ize and effectiveness of electrochemotherapy. Radiol Oncol 2013; 47: 32-41.
25. Quaglino P, Mortera C, Osella-Abate S, Barberis M, Illengo M, Rissone M, et al. Electrochemotherapy with intravenous bleomycin in the local treatment of skin melanoma metastases. Ann Surg Oncol 2008; 15: 2215-22.
26. Sedlar A, Dolinsek T, Markelc B, Prosen L, Kranjc S, Bosnjak M, et al. Pote ntiation of electrochemotherapy by intramuscular IL-12 gene electrotransfer in murine sarcoma and carcinoma with different immunogenicity. Radiol Oncol 2012; 46: 302-11.
27. Heller L, Pottinger C, Jaroszeski MJ, Gilbert R, Heller R. In vivo electrop oration of plasmids encoding GM-CSF or interleukin-2 into existing B16 melanomas combined with electrochemotherapy induces long-term antitumour immunity. Melanoma Res 2000; 10: 577-83.
28. Torrero MN, Henk WG, Li S. Regression of high-grade malignancy in mice by b leomycin and interleukin-12 electrochemogenetherapy. Clin Cancer Res 2006; 12: 257-63.
29. Ramirez LH, Orlowski S, An D, Bindoula G, Dzodic R, Ardouin P, et al. Elect rochemotherapy on liver tumours in rabbits. Brit J Cancer 1998; 77: 2104-11.
30. Sersa G, Cemazar M, Menart V, Gaberc-Porekar V, Miklavcic D. Anti-tumor eff ectiveness of electrochemotherapy with bleomycin is increased by TNFalpha on SA-1 tumors in mice. Cancer Lett 1997; 116: 85-92.
31. Roberts NJ, Zhou S, Diaz LA, Jr., Holdhoff M. Systemic use of tumor necrosi s factor alpha as an anticancer agent. Oncotarget 2011; 2: 739-51.
32. Balkwill F. Tumour necrosis factor and cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 2009; 9: 361-71.
33. Eisenthal A, Schwartz I, Issakov J, Klausner Y, Misonzhnik F, Lifschitz-Mer cer B. Immunohistochemistry evaluation of the effect in vivo of tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha on blood vessel density in murine fibrosarcoma. Sarcoma 2003; 7: 57-61.
34. Nooijen PT, Manusama ER, Eggermont AM, Schalkwijk L, Stavast J, Marquet RL, et al. Synergistic effects of TNF-alpha and melphalan in an isolated limb perfusion model of rat sarcoma: a histopathological, immunohistochemical and electron microscopical study. Brit J Cancer 1996; 74: 1908-15.
35. Kristensen CA, Nozue M, Boucher Y, Jain RK. Reduction of interstitial fluid pressure after TNF-alpha treatment of three human melanoma xenografts. Brit J Cancer 1996; 74: 533-6.
36. Lejeune FJ, Lienard D, Matter M, Ruegg C. Efficiency of recombinant human T NF in human cancer therapy. Cancer Immunity 2006; 6: 6.
37. Menon C, Ghartey A, Canter R, Feldman M, Fraker DL. Tumor necrosis factor- a lpha damages tumor blood vessel integrity by targeting VE-cadherin. Ann Surg 2006; 244: 781-91.
38. van Horssen R, Ten Hagen TL, Eggermont AM. TNF-alpha in cancer treatment: m olecular insights, antitumor effects, and clinical utility. Oncologist 2006; 11: 397-408.
39. Folli S, Pelegrin A, Chalandon Y, Yao X, Buchegger F, Lienard D, et al. Tum ornecrosis factor can enhance radio-antibody uptake in human colon carcinoma xenografts by increasing vascular permeability. Int J Cancer 1993; 53: 829-36.
40. de Wilt JHW, ten Hagen TLM, de Boeck G, van Tiel ST, de Bruijn EA, Eggermon t AMM. Tumour necrosis factor alpha increases melphalan concentration in tumour tissue after isolated limb perfusion. Brit J Cancer 2000; 82: 1000-3.
41. Sersa G, Willingham V, Milas L. Anti-Tumor Effects of Tumor Necrosis Factor Alone or Combined with Radiotherapy. Int J Cancer 1988; 42: 129-34.