Investigation of the embedded chains in soil starts to play an important role in understanding the structural performance of mooring system, when the embedded anchors will be employed to sustain large loads with the gradually growth of installation depth of offshore aquaculture farm. The aim of this study is to investigate the dynamic response of mooring line considering the influence of embedded chains in clay soil for net cage system. Lumped-mass method is used to establish the numerical model for evaluating the performance of mooring line with embedded chains. To validate the numerical model, comparisons of numerical results with the analytical formulas and the experimental data are conducted. A good agreement of the profile and the tension response is obtained. Then, the effect of embedded chains on the static and dynamic response of mooring line is evaluated, and the dynamic behavior of mooring system considering embedded chains for net cage system is investigated. The results indicate that the soil resistance on embedded chains should be included to predict the mooring line development and the load on the embedded anchors in the numerical simulations. An appropriate safety factor should be included if employing the simplified model Case C at the initial design phase. And the effect of embedded chains on the holding capacity of embedded anchors in single-point mooring system for single net cage cannot be negligible during the design and operation phases. Consequently, it is profound to take into account the interaction of embedded chains and soil for accurately predicting the reliability of mooring system for fish cage.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Andersen K.H. Murff J.D. Randolph M. Clukey E.C. Erbrich C.T. Jostad H.P. Hansen B. Aubeny C.P. Sharma P. Supachawarote C. 2005. Suction anchors for deepwater applications. In: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics 3-30.
2. Cella P. 1999. Methodology for exact solution of catenary. Journal of Structural Engineering 125(12): 1451-1453.
3. Chen X.H. Zhang J. Johnson P. Irani M. 2001. Dynamic analysis of mooring lines with inserted springs. Applied Ocean Research 23 277-284.
4. Cheng M.Y. Cao M.T. Tran D.H 2014. A hybrid fuzzy inference model based on RBFNN and artificial bee colony for predicting the uplift capacity of suction caissons. Automation in Construction 41 60-69.
5. Choi Y. Kim B. Kwon O. Youn H. 2014. Horizontal pullout capacity of steel chain embedded in sand. Advances in Soil Dynamics and Foundation Engineering GSP 240 500-508.
6. Choo Y.I. Casarella M.J. 1971. Hydrodynamic resistance of towed cables. Journal of Hydronautics 126-131.
7. DeCew J. Tsukrov I. Risso A. Swift M.R. Celikkol B. 2010. Modeling of dynamic behavior of a single-point moored submersible fish cage under currents. Aquacultural Engineering 43(2) 38-45.
8. Degenkamp G. DuttaA. 1989. Soil resistances to embedded anchor chain in soft clay. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering 115(10) 1420-1438.
9. Gault J.A. Cox W.R. 1974. Method for predicting geometry and load distribution in an anchor chain from a single point mooring buoy to a buried anchorage. In: Proceedings of 6th Annual Offshore Technology Conference. Houston Texas USA 309-318.
10. Guo Z. Wang L.Z. Yuan F. 2016. Quasi-static analysis of the multi-component mooring line for deeply embedde danchors. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering 138(1) paper No: OMAE-11-1097.
11. Hall M. Goupee A. 2015. Validation of a lumped-mass mooring line model with DeepCwind semisubmersible model test data. Ocean Engineering 104 590-603.
12. Huang X.H. Guo G.X. Tao Q.Y. Hu Y. Liu H.Y. Wang S.M. Hao S.H. 2016. Numerical simulation of deformations and forces of a floating fish cage collar in waves. Aquacultural Engineering 74 111-119.
13. Huang C.C. Tang H.H. Liu J.Y. 2006. Dynamic analysis of net cage structures for marine aquaculture: Numerical simulation and model testing. Aquacultural Engineering 35(3) 258-270.
14. Huang C.C. Tang H.J. Wang B.S. 2010. Numerical modeling for an In Situ single-point-mooring cage system. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering 35(3) 565-573.
15. Kapetsky J.M. Aguilar-Manjarrez J. Jenness J. 2013. A global assessment pf potential for offshore mariculture development from a spatial perspective. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Technical Paper No. 549. Rome FAO. 181 pp.
16. Kim T. Lee J. Fredriksson D.W. DeCew J. Drach A. Moon K. 2014. Engineering analysis of a submersible abalone aquaculture cage system for deployment in exposed marine environments. Aquacultural Engineering 63 72-88.
17. Liu H.X. Liu C.L. Zhao Y.B. Wang C. 2014. Comparative study of reverse catenary properties of the installation line for drag anchors. Applied Ocean Research 48 42-54.
18. Masciola M.D. Nahon M. Driscoll F.R. 2011. Static analysis of the lumped mass cable model using a shooting algorithm. ASCE Journal of Waterway Port Coastal and Ocean Engineering
19. Neubecker S.R. Randolph M.F. 1995. Profile and frictional capacity of embedded anchor chains. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering 121(11) 797-803.
20. O’Loughlin C. White D. Stanier S. 2015. Novel anchoring solutions for FLNG-Opportunities driven by scale. In: Proceedings of the 47th Annual Offshore Technology Conference Houston Texas USA OTC-26032-MS.
21. Rocha M. Schnaid F. Rocha C. Amaral C. 2016. Inverse catenary load attenuation along embedded ground chain of mooring lines. Ocean Engineering 122 215-226.
22. Shainee M. DeCew J. Leira B.J. Ellingsen H. Fredheim A. 2013. Numerical simulation of a self-submersible SPM cage system in regular waves with following currents. Aquacultural Engineering 54 29-37.
23. Skempton A.W. 1951. The bearing capacity of clays. Building Research Congress Division 1 Part 3 London 180-189.
24. Surendran S. Goutam M. 2009. Reduction in the dynamic amplitudes of moored cable systems. Ships and Offshore Structures 4(2) 145-163.
25. Tang H.J. Huang C.C. Chen W.M. 2011. Dynamics of dual pontoon floating structure for cage aquaculture in a two-dimensional numerical wave tank. Journal of Fluids and Structures 27 918-936.
26. Vivatrat V. Valent P.J. Ponterio A.A. 1982. The influence of chain friction on anchor pile design. In: Proceedings of the 14th Annual Offshore Technology Conference Houston Texas USA 153-163.
27. Wang L.Z. Guo Z.Yuan F. 2010a. Quasi-static three dimensional analysis of suction anchor mooring system. Ocean Engineering 37 1127-1138.
28. Wang L.Z. Guo Z.Yuan F. 2010b. Three-dimensional interaction between anchor chain and seabed. Applied Ocean Research 32 404-413.
29. Xiong L.Z. Yang J.M. Zhao W.H. 2016. Dynamic of a taut mooring line accounting for the embedded anchor chains. Ocean Engineering 121 403-413.
30. Xu T.J. 2014. Hydrodynamics of net cage group in the open sea. Doctoral Thesis. Dalian University of Technology.
31. Xu T.J. Dong G.H. Li Y.C. Guo W.J. 2014. Numerical study of a self-submersible single-point mooring gravity cage in combined wave-current flow. Applied Ocean Research 48 66-79.
32. Xu T.J. Zhao Y.P. Dong G.H. Gui F.K. 2013. Analysis of hydrodynamic behavior of a submerisible net cage and mooring system in waves and current. Applied Ocean Research 42 155-167.
33. Yen B.C. Tofani G.D. 1984. Soil resistance to stud link chain. In: Proceedings of 16th Annual Offshore Technology Conference Houston Texas USA OTC 4769 1-10.
34. Zhao Y.P. Bi C.W. Chen C.P. Li Y.C. Dong G.H. 2015. Experimental study on flow velocity and mooring loads for multiple net cages in steady current. Aquacultural Engineering 67 24-31.