Introduction. Each change in the rules of a sport affects the way it is performed. Therefore, changes in regulations require that new training models be developed. The aim of the study was to determine whether FIBA’s introduction of new regulations in the 2010/2011 season pertaining to the dimensions of certain parts of the playing area, which changed the conditions under which the game was played, impacted the offensive actions of the top three teams in the Polish Basketball League. Material and methods. The study analysed qualitative data describing the offences (n = 16,694) performed during 200 matches of the Polish Basketball League, that is the highest-level men’s professional basketball league in Poland, during two periods: the 2009/2010 season (110 matches; n = 9,343 offences), before the regulations were modified, and the 2010/2011 season (90 matches; n = 7,351 offences), after they were changed. The research involved the players of three teams who received the gold, silver, and bronze medals in the final standings of the Polish National Championship in the 2009/2010 season. Results. The study found a statistically significant (p < 0.001) decrease in the overall number of tactical offensive actions of 3.84% and a significant (p < 0.05) 5% decrease in the mean number of points scored. A significant (p < 0.05) decrease in half-court offences, amounting to almost 2% was also observed. This offensive system was characterised by a minor shift toward individual offences with the back to the basket and pick-and-roll offences; these changes, however, did not cause an increase in the level of effectiveness. Conclusions. The direction of the changes observed have been determined, which consisted in a reduction in the overall number of offensive actions and a shift in the place where they were completed, from the three-point area in particular, to the two-point area.
1. Arias J.L., Argudo F.M., Alonso J.I. (2011). Review of rule modification in sport. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine 10(1), 1-8.
2. Romanowich P., Bourret J., Vollmer T. (2007). Further analysis of the matching law to describe two- and three-point shot allocation by professional basketball players. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis 2(40), 311-315.
3. Montero A., Vila H., Longarela B. (2013). Influence of changing the distance of the 3-point line in basketball. Revista de Psicología del Deporte 22(1), 245-248.
4. Štrumbelj E., Vračar P., Robnik-Šikonja M., Dežman B. (2013). A decade of Euroleague Basketball: An analysis of trends and recent rule change effects. Journal of Human Kinetics 38, 183-189.
5. Boguszewski D. (2011). Relationships between the rules and the way of struggle applied by top world male judoists. Archives of Budo 7, 27-32.
6. Krauss M.D. (2004). Equipment innovations and rules changes in sports. Current Sports Medicine Reports 3(5), 272-276.
7. Cormery B., Marcil M., Bouvard M. (2008). Rule change incidence on physiological characteristics of elite basketball players: A 10-year-period investigation. British Journal of Sports Medicine 42(1), 25-30.
8. Monteiro I., Tavares F., Santos A. (2013). Comparative study of the tactical indicators that characterize the fast break in male and female under-16 Basketball teams. Revista de Psicología del Deporte 22(1), 239-244.
9. Kubatko J., Oliver D., Pelton K., Rosenbaum D.T. (2007). A starting point for analyzing basketball statistics. Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports 3(3), 1-24.
10. Simović S., Komić J. (2008). Analysis of influence of certain elements of basketball game on final result based on differentiate at the XIII, XIV and XV World Championship. Acta Kinesiologica 2, 57-65.
11. Pluta B., Andrzejewski M., Lira J. (2014). The effects of rule changes on basketball game results in the Men’s European Basketball Championships. Human Movement 15(4), 204-208.
12. García J., Ibáñez S.J., Martinez De Santos R., Leite N., Sampaio J. (2013). Identifying basketball performance indicators in regular season and playoff games. Journal of Human Kinetics 36, 163-170.
13. Ibáñez S.J., Sampaio J., Feu S., Lorenzo A., Gomez M.A., Ortega E. (2008). Basketball game-related statistics that discriminate between teams’ season-long success. European Journal of Sport Science 8(6), 369-372.
14. Mikołajec K., Maszczyk A., Zając T. (2013). Game indicators determining sports performance in the NBA. Journal of Human Kinetics 37, 145-151.
15. Veleirinho A., Tavares F. (2013). Did the three point line change influence the female youth basketball? Analysis of the predictive factors from winning teams (U-16 and U-20). Revista de Psicología del Deporte 22(1), 283-287.
16. Ważny Z., Kowalczyk K. (1999). Impact of regulation change on basketball performance. Sport Wyczynowy 9-10, 27-34. [in Polish]
17. Gómez M.A., Lorenzo A., Ibáñez S.J., Ortega E., Leite N., Sampaio J. (2010). An analysis of defensive strategies used by home and away basketball teams. Perceptual and Motor Skills 110(1), 159‐166.
18. Gómez M.A., Lorenzo A., Sampaio J., Ibáñez S.J., Ortega E. (2008). Game-related statistics that discriminated winning and losing teams from the Spanish men’s professional basketball teams. Collegium Antropologicum 32(2), 451-456.