The present invention was undertaken to study and determine the effect of potassium metabisulphite (6%) and potassium sorbate (350 ppm) treatments on the nutritional quality of osmotically-dehydrated, infrared- and microwave-blanched dried mango slices (local cultivars “Chaunsa” and “Fajri”) stored for the period of 6 months under ambient conditions. The studied parameters included physical characteristics such as water activity, non-enzymatic browning, and color values, chemical parameters such as moisture, ash, fiber, acidity and content of proteins, sugars, vitamin C, total carotenoids, and sensory attributes such as appearance, flavor and texture. Vitamin C content in osmotically-dried mango slices was higher than that of IR and MW blanched dried mango slices but the content of vitamin C of both cultivars was lower than of the fresh mango samples (Chaunsa: 135 mg/100 g, Fajri: 94 mg/100 g). Significant loss was noticed in total carotenoids content of both the cultivars with passage of time because of their susceptibility to oxidative loss caused by dry heat. No growth of yeast and mold was detected in potassium sorbate-treated dried mango slices due to their preservative effect. From the point of view of the composition and sensory quality, dried mango slices of both the cultivars have excellent nutritional qualities.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Ahmad S.A. Ahmed M. Qadir M.A. Shafiq M.I. Batool N. Nosheen N. Ahmad M. Mahmood R.K. Khokhar Z.U. Quantitation and Risk Assessment of Chemical Adulterants in Milk Using UHPLC Coupled to Photodiode Array and Differential Refractive Index Detectors. Food Anal. Methods 2016 9 3367–3376.
2. Ahmed M. Khaleeq A. Huma R. Qadir M.A. Shafiq M.I. Israr A. Ali A. Shahzad S. Optimization and Validation Procedure for Elemental Composition of Fresh and Pasteurized Milk in Pakistan Employing Microwave Digestion Followed by ICPOES: a Contribution to Risk Assessment. Food Anal. Methods 2016a 9 2933–2942.
3. Ahmed M. Shafiq M.I. Khaleeq A. Huma R. Abdul Qadir M. Khalid A. Ali A. Samad A. Physiochemical Biochemical Minerals Content Analysis and Antioxidant Potential of National and International Honeys in Pakistan. J. Chem. 2016b art. no. 8072305.
4. Ahmed M. Shahzadi S.K. Waseem R. Shahzad S. Ahmad W. Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate in Pakistani Retail Foodstuffs. Intern. J. Chem. Sci. Res. 2013 3 1–6.
5. Aktas T. Ulger P. Daglioglu F. Hasturk F. Changes of Nutritional and Physical Quality Characteristics during Storage of Osmotic Pretreated Apple before Hot Air Drying and Sensory Evaluation. J. Food Quality 2013 36 411–425.
6. Araya-Farias M. Macaigne O. Ratti C. On the development of osmotically dehydrated seabuckthorn fruits: Pretreatments osmotic dehydration postdrying techniques and nutritional quality. Drying Technol. 2014 32 813–819.
7. Banwart G. 2012. Basic food microbiology: Springer Science & Business Media pp. 49–100.
8. Chandra S. Kumari D. Recent development in osmotic dehydration of fruit and vegetables: a review. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 2015 55 552–561.
9. Chong C.H. Law C.L. Figiel A. Wojdyło A. Oziembłowski M. Colour phenolic content and antioxidant capacity of some fruits dehydrated by a combination of different methods. Food Chem. 2013 141 3889–3896.
10. Eliasson L. Libander P. Lövenklev M. Isaksson S. Ahrné L. Infrared decontamination of oregano: effects on Bacillus cereus spores water activity color and volatile compounds. J. Food Sci. 2014 79 E2447-E2455.
11. Ghosh D. Das S. Bagchi D. Smarta R. Innovation in healthy and functional foods 2012 CRC Press. pp 193.
12. Guiamba I.R. Svanberg U. Effects of blanching acidification or addition of EDTA on vitamin C and β-carotene stability during mango purée preparation. Food Sci. Nutr. 2016 4 706–715.
13. Holzwarth M. Wittig J. Carle R. Kammerer D.R. Influence of putative polyphenoloxidase (PPO) inhibitors on strawberry (Fragaria x ananassa Duch.) PPO anthocyanin and color stability of stored purées. LWT Food Sci. Technol. 2013 52 116–122.
14. Hopping B. N. Erber E. Grandinetti A. Verheus M. Kolonel L.N. Maskarinec G. Dietary fiber magnesium and glycemic load alter risk of type 2 diabetes in a multiethnic cohort in Hawaii. The Journal of nutrition 2010 140 68–74.
15. Ioannou I. Ghoul M. Prevention of enzymatic browning in fruit and vegetables. Eur. Scientific J. 2013 9 310–341.
16. Jeevitha G. Anto A. Chakkaravarthi A. Hebbar H. Application of Electromagnetic Radiations and Superheated Steam for Enzyme Inactivation in Green Bell Pepper. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation 2015 39 784–792.
17. Korbel E. Attal E.-H. Grabulos J. Lluberas E. Durand N. Morel G. Goli T. Brat P. Impact of temperature and water activity on enzymatic and non-enzymatic reactions in reconstituted dried mango model system. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 2013 237 39–46.
18. Lemmens L. Tchuenche E.S. Van Loey A.M. Hendrickx M.E. Beta-carotene isomerisation in mango puree as influenced by thermal processing and high-pressure homogenisation. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 2013 236 155–163.
20. Munyaka A. W. Oey I. Van Loey A. Hendrickx M. Application of thermal inactivation of enzymes during vitamin C analysis to study the influence of acidification crushing and blanching on vitamin C stability in Broccoli (Brassica oleracea L var. italica). Food Chem. 2010 120 591–598.
21. Qian C. Decker E.A. Xiao H. McClements D.J. Physical and chemical stability of β-carotene-enriched nanoemulsions: Influence of pH ionic strength temperature and emulsifier type. Food Chem. 2012 132 1221–1229.
22. Ranganna S. 1986. Handbook of analysis and quality control for fruit and vegetable products: Tata McGraw-Hill Education.
23. Rincon A. Kerr W.L. Influence of osmotic dehydration ripeness and frozen storage on physicochemical properties of mango. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation 2010 34 887–903.
24. Ruiz-Ojeda L.M. Peñas F.J. Comparison study of conventional hot-water and microwave blanching on quality of green beans. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies 2013 20 191–197.
25. Singh N.I. Dhuique-Mayer C Lozano YVES. Physico-chemical changes during enzymatic liquefaction of mango pulp (cv. Keitt). Journal of Food Processing and Preservation 2000 24 73–85.
26. Slavin J. Fiber and prebiotics: mechanisms and health benefits. Nutrients 2013 5 1417–1435.
27. Slavin J.L. Lloyd B. Health benefits of fruits and vegetables. Adv. Nutr: An International Review Journal 2012 3 506–516.
28. Sogi D. Siddiq M. Roidoung S. Dolan K. Total Phenolics Carotenoids Ascorbic Acid and Antioxidant Properties of Fresh cut Mango (Mangifera indica L. cv. Tommy Atkin) as Affected by Infrared Heat Treatment. J. Food Sci. 2012 77 C1197-C1202.
29. Sra S. Sandhu K. Ahluwalia P. Effect of treatments and packaging on the quality of dried carrot slices during storage. J. Food Sci. Technol. 2014 51 645–654.