The aim of the present work is to study the efficiency of a biocompatible polymer-based adsorbent for the removal of Pb (II) ions whose devastating effects on people’s health is a matter of great concern from aqueous solution. In this study, ethyl cellulose and gamma-Al2O3 nanoparticles/ethyl cellulose electrospun adsorbents were prepared for the batch removal of Pb (II) ions from aqueous solution. Both samples were characterized using contact angle analysis, N2 adsorption/desorption technique, FT-IR and SEM. The Freundlich model (R-square = 0.935 and RMSD (%) = 6.659) and the Dubinin-Radushkevich model (R-square = 0.944 and RMSD (%) = 6.145) were found to be more reliable in predicting the experimental data from the adsorption of Pb (II) ions onto the electrospun gamma-Al2O3 nanoparticles/ethyl cellulose than the Langmuir model (R-square = 0.685 and RMSD (%) = 14.61) and also the Temkin model (R-square = 0.695 and RMSD (%) = 14.38).
9. Burakov, A.E., Galunin, E.V., Burakova, I.V., Kucherova, A.E., Agarwal, S., Tkachev, A.G. & Gupta, V.K. Adsorption of heavy metals on conventional and nanostructured materials for wastewater treatment purposes: A review, Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. 148 (2018) 702–712. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecoenv.2017.11.034.
30. Gholami, A., Moghadassi, A.R., Hosseini, S.M., Shabani, S. & Gholami, F. Preparation and characterization of polyvinyl chloride based nanocomposite nanofiltration-membrane modified by iron oxide nanoparticles for lead removal from water. J. Ind. Eng. Chem. 20 (2014) 1517–1522. DOI: 10.1016/j.jiec.2013.07.041.
35. Sadeghi Pouya, E., Abolghasemi, H., Esmaieli, M., Fatoorehchi, H., Hashemi, S.J. & Salehpour, A. Batch adsorptive removal of benzoic acid from aqueous solution onto modified natural vermiculite: Kinetic, isotherm and thermodynamic studies. J. Ind. Eng. Chem. 31 (2015) 199–215. DOI: 10.1016/j.jiec.2015.06.024.
38. Hamdaoui, O. & Naffrechoux, E. Modeling of adsorption isotherms of phenol and chlorophenols onto granular activated carbon. Part I. Two-parameter models and equations allowing determination of thermodynamic parameters. J. Hazard. Mater. 147 (2007) 381–394. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.01.021.
40. Choong, C.E., Ibrahim, S., Yoon, Y. & Jang, M., Removal of lead and bisphenol A using magnesium silicate impregnated palm-shell waste powdered activated carbon: Comparative studies on single and binary pollutant adsorption. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. 148 (2018) 142–151. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecoenv.2017.10.025.
44. Vijayalakshmi, K., Devi, B.M., Latha, S., Gomathi, T., Sudha, P.N., Venkatesan, J. & Anil, S. Batch adsorption and desorption studies on the removal of lead (II) from aqueous solution using nanochitosan/sodium alginate/microcrystalline cellulose beads. Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 104 (2017) 1483–1494. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2017.04.120.
46. Gomez-Gonzalez, R., Cerino-Córdova, F.J., Garcia-León, A.M., Soto-Regalado, E., Davila-Guzman, N.E. & Salazar-Rabago, J.J. Lead biosorption onto coffee grounds: Comparative analysis of several optimization techniques using equilibrium adsorption models and ANN. J. Taiwan Inst. Chem. Eng. 68 (2016) 201–210. DOI: 10.1016/j.jtice.2016.08.038.
55. Tangsir, S., Hafshejani, L.D., Lähde, A., Maljanen, M., Hooshmand, A., Naseri, A.A., Moazed, H., Jokiniemi, J. & Bhatnagar, A., Water defluoridation using Al2O3 nanoparticles synthesized by flame spray pyrolysis (FSP) method. Chem. Eng. J. 288 (2016) 198–206. DOI: 10.1016/j.cej.2015.11.097.