Sewage sludge was dried in a rotary drum dryer under superheated steam. Particle size and moisture content were shown to have significant influences on sticking and agglomeration of the materials. Pouring partially dried sludge (70–80% moisture content, wet basis) directly into the screw feeder of the drum dryer resulted in a significant sticking to the surface of the drum and the final particle size of the product was greater than 100 mm in diameter. The moisture content of this product was slightly less than its initial value. To overcome this issue, the sludge was mixed with lignite at variety ratios and then chopped before being introduced to the feeding screw. It was found that mixing the sludge with lignite and then sieving the chopped materials through a four millimetre mesh sieve was the key to solve this issue. This technique significantly reduced both stickiness and agglomeration of the material. Also, this enabled for a significant reduction in moisture content of the final product.
1. Hamawand, I. (2011). Effect of Colloidal Particles associated with the Liquid Bridge in Sticking during Drying in Superheated Steam. Inter. J. Engineer. 24(2), 119–126.
2. Bhandari, B. & Howes, T. (2005). Relating the stickiness property of food undergoing drying and dried products to their surface energy. Drying Technol. 23, 781–797. DOI: 10.1081/DRT-200054194.
3. Mazzone, D.N., Tardos, G.I. & Pfeffer, R. (1987). The behaviour of liquid bridges between two relatively moving particles. Powder Technol.. 51, 71–83. DOI: 10.1016/0032-5910(87)80041-4.
4. Adhikari, B., Howes, T., Bhandari, B.R. & Truong V. (2001). Stickiness in foods: A review of mechanisms and test methods. Inter. J. Food Proper. 4 (1), 1–33. DOI: 10.1081/JFP-100002186.
5. Mu, Fusheng & Su Xubin. (2007). Analysis of liquid bridge between spherical particles. China Particuology 5, 420–424. DOI: 10.1016/j.cpart.2007.04.006.
6. Font, R., Gomez-Rico, M.F. & Fullana, A. (2011). Skin effect in the heat and mass transfer model for sewage sludge drying. Sep. Puri. Technol. 77, 146–161. DOI: 10.1016/j.seppur.2010.12.001.
7. Bennamoun, L., Arlabosse, P. & Léonard, A. (2013). Review on fundamental aspect of application of drying process to waste water sludge. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Rev. 28, 29–43. DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2013.07.043.
8. Pajak, T. (2013). Thermal Treatment as Sustainable Sewage Sludge Management. Environ. Protect. Engineer. 39(2), 41–53. DOI: 10.5277/EPE130205.
9. Mathioudakis, V.L., Kapagiannidis, A.G., Athanasoulia, E., Paltzoglou, A.D., Melidis, P. & Aivasidis, A. (2013). Sewage Sludge Solar Drying: Experiences from the First Pilot-Scale Application in Greece. Drying Technology: An Inter. J. 31(5), 519–526. DOI: 10.1080/07373937.2012.744998.
10. Li, Y., Wang, H., Zhang, J., Wang, J. & Lan, O. (2013). Co-Processing Sewage Sludge in Cement Kiln in China. J. Water Res. Protect. 5, 906–910. DOI: 10.4236/jwarp.2013.59093.
11. Hamawand, I. & Yusaf, T. (2014). Modelling the Particle Motion in a Cascading Rotary Drum Dryer. Canadian J. Chem. Engineer. 92(4), 648–662. DOI: 10.1002/cjce.21845.
12. Wardjiman, C., Lee, A., Shehan, M.E. & Rhodes, M. (2008). Behaviour of a curtain of particles falling through a horizontally-flowing gas stream. Powder Technol. 188(2), 110–118. DOI: 10.1016/j.powtec.2008.04.002.
13. Pronyk, C., Cenkowski, S. & Muir, W.E. Drying foodstuff with superheated steam. Drying Technol. 22(5), 899–916. DOI: 10.1081/DRT-120038571.
14. Van Deventer, H.C. & Heijmans, R.M.H. (2001). Drying with superheated steam. Drying Technol. 19(8), 2033–2045. DOI: 10.1081/DRT-100107287.
15. Soponronnarit, S., Nathakaranakule, A., Jirajindalert, A. & Taechapairoj, C. (2006). Parboiling brown rice using superheated steam fluidization technique. J. Food Engineer. 75, 423–432. DOI: 10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2005.04.058.
16. Soponronnarit, S., Prachayawarakorn, S., Rordprat, W., Nathakaranakule, A. & Tia, W. (2006). A superheated steam fluidized bed dryer for Parboiled Rice: testing of pilot-scale and mathematical Model Development. Drying Technol. 24(11), 1457–1467. DOI: 10.1080/07373930600952800.
17. Beeby, C. (1984). Drying in Superheated steam-fluidized bed. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Monash, Melbourne, Australia.
18. Trommelen, A.M. & Crosby, E.J. (1969). Evaporation and drying of drops in superheated vapours. AIChE Journal. 16 (5), 857–867. DOI: 10.1002/aic.690160527.
19. Tang, Z. & Cenkowski, S. (2000). Dehydration dynamics of potatoes in superheated steam and hot air. Can. Agric. Engineer. 42(1).
20. Elustondo, D., Elustondo, M.P. & Urbicain, M.J. (2001). Mathematical modelling of moisture evaporation from foodstuffs exposed to subatmospheric pressure superheated steam. J. Food Engineer. 49(1), 15–24. DOI: 10.1016/S0260-8774(00)00180-1.
21. Pakowiski, Z., Krupinka, B. & Adamski, R. (2007). Prediction of sorption equilibrium both in air and superheated steam drying of energetic variety of willow salix viminalis in wide temperature range. Fuel 86(12–13), 1749–1757. DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2007.01.016.
22. Hamawand, I. Yusaf, T. & Bennett, J. (2014). Study and Modelling Drying of Banana Slices under Superheated Steam. Asia Pacific J. Chem. Engineer. 9(4), 591–603. DOI: 10.1002/apj.1788.
23. da Silva, W.P., Hamawand, I. & E. Silva C.M.D.P.S. (2014). A liquid diffusion model to describe drying of whole bananas using boundary-fitted coordinates. J. Food Engineer. 137, 32–38. DOI: 10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2014.03.029.
24. Wimmerstedt, R. & Hager, J. (1996). Steam drying – modelling and applications. Drying Technol. 14(5), 1099–1119. DOI: 10.1080/07373939608917141.
25. Hong, S., Ryu, C., Ko, H.S., Ohm, T.I. & Chae, J.S. (2013). Process consideration of fry-drying combined with steam compression for efficient fuel production from sewage sludge. Appl. Energy 103, 468–476. DOI: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.10.002.
26. Iyota, H., Nishimura, N., Yoshida, M. & Nomura, T. (2001). Simulation of superheated steam drying considering initial steam condensation. Drying Technol. 19(7), 1425–1440. DOI: 10.1081/DRT-100105298.
27. Hakli, O., Dumanli, A.G., Nalbant, A., Okyay, F. & Yürüm, Y. (2010). The Conversion of Low-rank Kilyos Coal to Nitrogeneous. Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environm. Effects 33(2), 164–170. DOI: 10.1080/15567030902937242.
28. Bergins, C. & Strauss, K. (2007). Advanced processes for low rank coal drying and dewatering in high efficient power plants. Inter. J. Global Energy Issues 28(2/3), 241–263. DOI: 10.1504/IJGEI.2007.015878.
30. Hamawand, I. (2013). Drying Steps under Superheated Steam: A Review and Modelling. J. Energy Environ. Res. 3(2), 107–125. DOI: 10.5539/eer.v3n2p107.
31. Weber, S., Briensy, C., Berrutiz, B., Chan, E.W. & Gray, M.R. (2007, May). Agglomerate Behaviour in Fluidized Beds. Refereed Proceedings The 12th International Conference on Fluidization – New Horizons in Fluidization Engineering. Retrieved April 20, 2015, from http://dc.engconfintl.org/fluidization_xii/103/