The article presents a dermatosis that occurs in tropical and subtropical countries. Though the definitive hosts of the cutaneous larva migrans parasite are animals, humans can become accidental hosts and they are infected when their skin comes into contact with damp soil, most frequently sand. The disease is only present in the epidermis where an itch is brought about by the mining activity of the larva. Sunbathers and divers who put on their gear on a beach, on account of the epidermis maceration caused by a prolonged exposure to water, are particularly susceptible to the penetrative activities of the larva. In Poland the cutaneous larva migrans is in most cases mistaken for nettle rash or eczema.
1. Reichert F, Pilger D, Schuster A, Lesshafft H, Guedes de Oliveira S, Ignatius R, Feldmeier H. Prevalence and Risk Factors of Hookworm-Related Cutaneous Larva Migrans (HrCLM) in a Resource-Poor Community in Manaus, Brazil. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases 24: 1-13, 2016;
2. Vasievich MP, Villarreal JDM, Tomecki KJ. Got the Travel Bug? A Review of Common Infections, Infestations, Bites, and Stings Among Returning Travelers. Am J Clin Dermatol, 10.1007/s40257-016-0203-7, 2016;
3. Comparin C, Rodrigues MM, Santos BC Images in Clinical Tropical Medicine Extensive Cutaneous Larva Migrans with Eczematous Reaction on Atypical Localization Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg., 94(6),1185–1186, 2016;
4. Ma DL, Vano-Galvan S. Creeping Eruption — Cutaneous Larva Migrans NEngl J Med 374;14, 2016.
5. Belizario Jr V, Trinos JPC, Garcia NB, Reyes M. Cutaneous Manifestations of Selected Parasitic Infections in Western Pacific and Southeast Asian Regions. Curr Infect Dis Rep 18: 30, 1-7, 2016;
6. Meotti CD. Cutaneous larva migrans on the scalp: atypical presentation of a common disease An Bras Dermatol. 89(2):332-3, 2014;
7. Fischer S, Nenoff P. Cutaneous larva migrans: successful topical treatment with ivermectin – a case report. Deutsche Dermatologische Gesellschaft (DDG) 1610-0379/140, 2016;
8. Olszański R. Problemy zdrowotne w tropiku [Health issues in the tropics] WIM Warsaw 2014
9. Neils Ben Quashie NB, Tsegah E. An unusual recurrence of pruritic creeping eruption after treatment of cutaneous larva migrans in an adult Ghanaian male: a case report with a brief review of literature. Pan African Medical Journal. 21:285, 2015.