OBJECTIVES: To evaluate short- and long-term growth in fetuses with growth restriction (FGR) and elevated umbilical artery Doppler (UAD) systolic/diastolic (S/D) ratios.
METHODS: In this prospective observational study, two UAD waveforms were obtained from each umbilical artery weekly and were classified as normal or abnormal. Fetal growth was assessed every 3 weeks. Short-term growth was calculated from the first visit with elevated ratios until next growth assessment. Results were grouped by number of initial elevated S/D ratios (maximum, 4). Long-term growth was evaluated by change in estimated fetal weight from diagnosis of FGR to birth weight. Fetuses were grouped by average number of elevated S/D ratios and compared to a reference population of growth restricted fetuses with normal testing.
RESULTS: Of 241 fetuses evaluated, 105 demonstrated elevated S/D ratios. Short-term growth was impaired when fetuses had elevated S/D ratios. Long-term growth was affected when the average number of elevated S/D ratios was ≥1 per visit. Progressive 3 or 4 growth delay was noted as the average number of abnormal S/D ratios increased.
CONCLUSIONS: Short- and long-term fetal growth are affected by elevated UAD S/D ratios. Fetuses with more abnormal values initially and those with a higher average of elevated values over pregnancy demonstrate decreased growth.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Bruner JP Levy DW Arger PH. Doppler ultrasonography of the umbilical cord in complicated pregnancies. South Med J [Internet]. 1993 [cited 10/25/2012];86(4):418-22
2. Baschat AA Weiner CP. Umbilical artery doppler screening for detection of the small fetus in need of antepartum surveillance. Am J Obstet Gynecol [Internet]. 2000 Jan;182(1 Pt 1):154-8
3. Baschat AA. Doppler application in the delivery timing of the preterm growth-restricted fetus: Another step in the right direction. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol [Internet]. 2004 Feb;23(2):111-8
4. Giles W Bisits A. Clinical use of doppler ultrasound in pregnancy: Information from six randomised trials. Fetal Diagn Ther [Internet]. 1993 Jul-Aug;8(4):247-55
5. Alfirevic Z Neilson JP. Doppler ultrasonography in high-risk pregnancies: Systematic review with meta-analysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol [Internet]. 1995 May;172(5):1379-87.
6. Alfirevic Z Stampalija T Gyte GM. Fetal and umbilical doppler ultrasound in high-risk pregnancies. Cochrane Database Syst Rev [Internet]. 2013 Nov 12;11:CD007529
7. Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine Publications Committee Berkley E Chauhan SP Abuhamad A. Doppler assessment of the fetus with intrauterine growth restriction. Am J Obstet Gynecol [Internet]. 2012 Apr;206(4):300-8
8. Unterscheider J Daly S Geary MP et al. Optimizing the definition of intrauterine growth restriction: The multicenter prospective PORTO study. Am J Obstet Gynecol [Internet]. 2013 Apr;208(4):290.e1290.e6
9. Acharya G Wilsgaard T Berntsen GK Maltau JM Kiserud T. Reference ranges for serial measurements of umbilical artery doppler indices in the second half of pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol [Internet]. 2005 Mar;192(3):937-44
10. Dahlke JD Mendez-Figueroa H Maggio L Albright CM Chauhan SP Wenstrom KD. Early term versus term delivery in the management of fetal growth restriction: A comparison of two protocols. Am J Perinatol [Internet]. 2015 May;32(6):523-30
11. Wen SW Goldenberg RL Cutter GR et al. Smoking maternal age fetal growth and gestational age at delivery. Am J Obstet Gynecol [Internet]. 1990 Jan;162(1):53-8
12. Wang X Zuckerman B Pearson C et al. Maternal cigarette smoking metabolic gene polymorphism and infant birth weight. JAMA [Internet]. 2002 Jan 9;287(2):195-202
13. Dolkart LA Reimers FT Kuonen CA. Discordant umbilical arteries: Ultrasonographic and doppler analysis. Obstet Gynecol [Internet]. 1992 Jan;79(1):59-63
14. Raio L Ghezzi F Di Naro E Gomez R Saile G Bruhwiler H. The clinical significance of antenatal detection of discordant umbilical arteries. Obstet Gynecol [Internet]. 1998 Jan;91(1):86-91
15. Predanic M Perni SC. Antenatal assessment of discordant umbilical arteries in singleton pregnancies. Croat Med J [Internet]. 2006 Oct;47(5):701-8
16. Predanic M Kolli J Yousefzadeh P Pennisi J. Disparate blood flow patterns in parallel umbilical arteries. Obstet Gynecol [Internet]. 1998 May;91(5 Pt 1):757-60