Cement-based materials are the most consumed materials in the construction industry. Low or high thermal conductive cement-based materials are of interest in applications such as embedded floor heating systems, building envelopes or structural elements. This paper describes prediction models for thermal conductivity of cementitious composites by considering different variables such as constituent materials, porosity and moisture content. The presented prediction models may be used for thermal conductivity based mix design of cementitious materials. Based on the desired accuracy, different solutions are proposed.
1. Baghban M H, Hovde P J, Jacobsen S: “Effect of internal hydrophobation, silica fume and w/c on water sorption of hardened cement pastes,” Proceedings, International Conference on Durability of Building Materials and Components (XII DBMC), Porto, Portugal, April 12-15, 2011, pp 1495-1502.
2. Justnes H, “Low water permeability through hydrophobicity,” Report, SINTEF Building and Infrastructure, Oslo, Norway, 2008.
3. Baghban M H, Hovde P J, Jacobsen S, “Analytical and experimental study on thermal conductivity of hardened cement pastes”, Materials and Structures, Vol. 46, No. 9, 2013, pp. 1537-1546.
4. Monteiro P J M, “A note on the Hirsch model,” Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 21, 1991, pp. 947-950.
5. Hashin Z, Shtrikman S, “A Variational Approach to the Theory of the Effective Magnetic Permeability of Multiphase Materials,” Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 33, No. 10, 1962, pp. 3125-3131.
6. Bezerra M A, Santelli R E, Oliveira E P, Villar L S, Escaleira L A, “Response surface methodology (RSM) as a tool for optimization in analytical chemistry,” Talanta, Vol. 76, 2008, pp. 965–977.
7. Hooshmandi S, Kioumarsi M, Kioumarsi B, Baghban M H, “Application of response surface method (RSM) on sensitivity analysis of reinforced concrete bridge pier wall,” Proceedings, XXIII Nordic Concrete Research Symposium, Aalborg, Denmark, 2017, pp. 303-306.
8. Kioumarsi M M, Hendriks M A N, Geiker M R, “Quantification of the interference of localised corrosion on adjacent reinforcement bars in a concrete beam in bending”. Nordic Concrete Research (NCR), Vol. 49, 2014, pp. 39–57.
9. Liu J, Xu S, Zeng Q, “A multi-scale micromechanical investigation on thermal conductivity of cement-based composites,” IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 167 012069, 2017.
10. Mori T, Tanaka K, “Average stress in matrix and average elastic energy of materials with misfitting inclusions,” Acta metallurgica, Vol. 21, No. 5, 1973, pp. 571-574.