The aim of this study was to determine some morphological traits of the udder teat and their influence on the milk flow rate in three dairy cattle breeds (Brown Swiss, Holstein and Simmental). The average milking time and milk yield was 8.79±0.16 minutes and 9.40±0.28 kg, respectively. There was a finding that the breed of the dairy cows had no effect on the total milking time, with the Holstein cows having the highest milk yield (P<0.01). The average milk flow rate was 1.09±0.04 kg/minute and the Holstein cows had the highest milk flow rate (P<0.05). The cow parity didn’t affect the milk flow rate and the milk yield. The average teat length, average teat diameter and average teat volume varied among the cattle breeds and were highest in the Brown Swiss, and lowest in the Simmental cows. In conclusion, the milk flow rate varies among cattle breeds, and it was observed that dairy cows with high milk yields have higher milk flow rates.
2. Faye, B., Konuspayeva, G. (2012). The sustainability challenge to the dairy sector – The growing importance of non-cattle milk production world wide. Int Dairy J. 24(2): 50-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2011.12.011
3. Foley, J.A., Ramankutty, N., Brauman, K.A., Cassidy, E.S., Gerber, J.S., Johnston, M., et al. (2011). Solutions for a cultivated planet. Nature 478(7369): 337-342. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature10452 PMid:21993620
4. Ozbeyaz, C., Unal, N., Colakoglu, N. (1998). Effects of udder and teat measuremenets and teat shape on milk production and milkability in Brown Swiss cows II. Milkability and teat shape. Journal of Lalahan Livestock Research Institute. 38(1): 1-23. [in Turkish]
7. Isık, E., Unal, H. (2003). Yerli yapım süt sağma makinasının performans değerlerinin saptanması. [Determining the performance values of domestically-made milking machine]. Ulud Üniv Zir Fak Derg. 17, 79-93. [in Turkish]
8. Boettcher, P.J., Dekkers, J.C.M., Kolstad, B.W. (1998). Development of an udder health index for sire selection based on somatic cells core, udder conformation, and milkings peed. J Dairy Sci. 81(4): 1157-1168. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75678-4
9. Turkyilmaz, M.K. (2005). Süt sığırcılık işletmelerinde sağım robotu kullanımı. [Milking robot usage in dairy cattle enterprises]. J Fac Vet Med Univ Erciyes. 2, 61-64. [in Turkish]
11. SPSS. (2004). SPSS for Windows Release13.0. SPSS Inc.
12. Santus, E., Ghiroldi, S. (2005). Milkability genetic evaluation in Brown Swiss: An international approach. Interbull Bull. 33, 25-27.
13. Gäde, S., Stamer, E., Bennewitz, J., Junge, W., Kalm, E. (2007). Genetic parameters for serial, automatically recorded milkability and its relationship to udder health in dairy cattle. Animal.1(6):787-796. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731107000092 PMid:22444741
14. Guler, O., Yanar, M., Aydın, R., Bayram, B., Dogru, U., Kopuzlu, S. (2009). Genetic and Environmental Parameters of Milkability Traits in Holstein Friesian Cows. J Anim Vet Adv. 8(1): 143-147.
15. Walsh, S., Buckley, F., Berry, D.P., Rath, M., Pierce, K., Byrne, N., Dillon, P. (2007). Effects of breed, feding system, and parity on udder health and milking characteristics. J Dairy Sci. 90(12): 5767-5779. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0389 PMid:18024771
16. Arave, C.W., Macmillian, K.L., Kilgour, R. (1987). Milking characteristics of Friesian, Jersey and Friesian-Jersey crossbreds in eleven New Zealand dairy herds. New Zeal J Exp Agr. 15(1): 33-37. https://doi.org/10.1080/03015521.1987.10425532
18. Bobić, T., Mijić P., Vučković, G., Gregić, M., Baban, M., Gantner, V. (2014). Morphological and milkability breed differences of dairy cows. Mljekarstvo 64(2): 71-78.
19. Mijić, P., Knežević, I., Baban, M., Domaćinović, M., Rimac, D. (2003). Investigation of correlations and milking parameter distribution on cattle farms in eastern Croatia. Acta Agron Hung. 51(2): 191-198. https://doi.org/10.1556/AAgr.51.2003.2.7
20. Blottner, S., Heins, B.J., Wensch-Dorendorf, M., Hansen, L.B., Swalve, H.H. (2011). Short communication: A comparison between purebred Holstein and Brown Swiss×Holstein cows for milk production, somatic cells core, milking speed, and udder measurements in the first 3 lactations. J Dairy Sci. 94(10): 5212-5216. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2011-4255 PMid:21943771
21. Strapák, P., Súkeníková, Z., Antalík, P. (2009). Milkability in Holstein cows. J Cent Eur Agric.10(3): 207-210.
22. Carlstrom, C., Pettersson, G., Johansson, K., Strandberg, E., Stålhammar, H., Philipsson, J. (2013). Feasibility of using automatic milking system data from commercial herds for genetic analysis of milkability. J Dairy Sci. 96(8): 5324-5332. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-6221 PMid:23706483
23. Boettcher, P.J., Dekkers, J.C.M., Kolstad, B.W. (1997). An udder health index for sire selection based on somatic cells core, udder conformation and milking speed. Interbull Bull. 15, 98-105.
25. Pandey, H.S., Saxena, M.M., Jana, D.N., Pandey, H.N., Nautiyal, L.P. (1990). Milkability in crossbred and Holstein-Friesian cows under hand and machine milking. Indian J Anim Sci. 60(6): 732-734.
26. Coban, O., Sabuncuoglu, N., Tuzemen, N. (2009). A study on relationships between somatic cell count (SCC) and some udder traits in dairy cows. J Anim Vet Adv. 8(1): 134-138.
27. Alacam, E., Alpan, O., Tekeli, T. (1983). Süt ineklerinde bazı meme ölçümleri ve süt verimi ile subklinik mastitis arasındaki ilişkiler. [The effects of teat measurements and milk production on the onset of subclinical mastitis in dairy cows]. Lalahan Hay Arast Enst Derg. 23(3-4): 85-99. [in Turkish]
28. Tilki, M., Inal, S., Colak, M., Garip, M. (2005). Relationships between milk yield and udder measurements in Brown Swiss cows. Turk J Vet Anim Sci. 29(1): 75-81.
29. Seker, İ., Risvanli, A., Kul, S., Bayraktar, M., Kaygusuzoglu, E. (2000). İsviçre Esmeri ineklerde meme özellikleri ve süt verimi ile CMT skoru arasındaki ilişkiler. [Relationships between CMT scores and udder traits and milk yield in Brown-Swiss cows]. Lalahan Hay Arast Enst Derg. 40, 29-38. [in Turkish]
30. Batra, T.R., Mc Allister, A.J. (1984). Relationships among udder measurements, milking speed, milk yield and CMT scores in young dairy cows. Can J Anim Sci. 64(4): 807-815. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas84-094