The chromatographic behavior of tegafur and its impurities on a naphthalene Cosmosil piNAP column under reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography conditions was examined. A good description of the retention was achieved through the application of statistical weights to the widely used quadratic relationships between the logarithm of the retention factor (log k) and the organic solvent concentration in the mobile phase. Optimum conditions for isocratic separation of the compounds were found with acetonitrile concentration of 10-30% in the mobile phase
1. Torres-Lapasio, J.R., Roses, M., Bosch, E., Garcia-Alvarez-Coque, M.C. (2000). Interpretive optimisation strategy applied to the isocratic separation of phenols by reversed-phase liquid chromatography with acetonitrile-water and methanol-water mobile phases. J. Chromatogr. A, 886, 31-46.
2. Vivo-Truyols, G., Torres-Lapasio, J.R., Garcia-Alvarez-Coque, M.C. (2000). Complementary mobile-phase optimization for resolution enhancement in high-performance liquid chromatography. J. Chromatogr. A, 876, 17-35.
3. Hoang, T.H., Cuerrier, D., McClintock, S., di Maso, M.J. (2003). Computer-assisted method development and optimization in high-performance liquid chromatography. J. Chromatogr. A, 991, 281-287.
4. Kažoka, H. (2007).HPLC separation of some purine and pyrimidine derivatives on Chromolith Performance Si monolithic column. J. Biochem. Biophys. Methods, 70, 15-21.
5. Kažoka, H. (2002). Analysis of purines and pyrimidines by mixed partition-adsorption normal-phase high-performance liquid chromatography. J. Chromatogr. A, 942, 1-10.
6. Kažoka, H. (2001). Application of mixed partition-adsorption systems in high-performance liquid chromatography of purines and pyrimidines. J. Chromatogr. A, 922, 187-192.
7. Kažoka, H. (2003). Determination of uracil in 5-fluorouracil substance by high-performance liquid chromatography. J.Chromatogr. A, 994, 221-225.
8. Chu, D., Gu, J., Liu, W., Fawcett, J.P, Dong, Q. (2003). Sensitive liquid chromatographic assay for the simultaneous determination of 5-fluorouracil and its prodrug, tegafur, in beagle dog plasma. J. Chromatogr. B, 795, 377-382.
9. Peer, C.J., McManus, T.J., Hurwitz, H.I., Petros, W.P. (2012). Development and utilization of a combined LC-UV and LC-MS/MS method for the simultaneous analysis of tegafur and 5-fluorouracil in human plasma to support a phase I clinical study of oral UFT®/leucovorin. J Chromatogr. B, 898, 32-37.
10. Liu, K., Zhong, D., Zou, H., Chen, X. Determination of tegafur, 5-fluorouracil, gimeracil and oxonic acid in human plasma using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. (2010). J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal., 52, 550-556.
11. Remaud, G., Boisdron-Celle, M., Morel, A., Gamelin, A. Sensitive MS/MS-liquid chromatography assay for simultaneous determination of tegafur, 5-fluorouracil and 5-fluorodihydrouracil in plasma. (2005). J. Chromatogr. B, 824, 153-160