The goal of the study was to compare corrosion performance of copper in different bentonite slurries. Copper coil samples were exposed in a slurries of bentonites BaM, Rokle, B75, G2M, Voltex, Sabenil. The test was carried out under anaerobic conditions in glovebox at laboratory temperature for duration of one to four months. Samples were evaluated by means of X-ray diffraction and mass loss. Liquid parts of slurries were analysed by ion chromatography and pH meter. The resistance of copper in all studied bentonites was very high. Corrosion rates were in order of tenths of micrometers per year. No trend between pore solution composition and corrosion rate or composition of corrosion products was observed.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Björkbacka Å. et al. Radiation induced corrosion of copper for spent nuclear fuel storage. Radiation Physics and Chemistry2013 92 80-86.
2. Björkbacka Å. et al. Role of the Oxide Layer in Radiation-Induced Corrosion of Copper in Anoxic Water. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C2016 120 (21) 11450-11455.
3. Bjorkbacka A. et al. Kinetics and mechanisms of reactions between H2O2 and copper and copper oxides. Dalton Trans2015 44 (36) 16045-51.
4. King F.; Kolar M. Lifetime Predictions for Nuclear Waste Disposal Containers. Corrosion2019 (available http://corrosionjournal.org/doi/pdf/10.5006/2994).
5. Rosborg B. et al. Corrosion rate of pure copper in an oxic bentonite/saline groundwater environment. Corrosion Engineering Science and Technology2011 46 (2) 148-152.
6. Hall D. S.; Keech P. G. An overview of the Canadian corrosion program for the long-term management of nuclear waste. Corrosion Engineering Science and Technology2017 52 (S1) 2-5.
7. Kremer E. P. Durability of the Canadian used fuel container. Corrosion Engineering Science and Technology2017 52 (sup1) 173-177.
8. Standish T. et al. Corrosion of Copper-Coated Steel High Level Nuclear Waste Containers under Permanent Disposal Conditions. Electrochimica Acta2016 211 331-342.
9. Standish T. et al. Synchrotron-Based Micro-CT Investigation of Oxic Corrosion of Copper-Coated Carbon Steel for Potential Use in a Deep Geological Repository for Used Nuclear Fuel. Geosciences2018 8 (10) 360.
10. Standish T. E. et al. Galvanic corrosion of copper-coated carbon steel for used nuclear fuel containers. Corrosion Engineering Science and Technology2017 1-5.
11. Stoulil J. et al. Corrosion resistance of new powder metallurgy boron-containing stainless steel in the nuclear repository environment. Materials and Corrosion2015 66 (4) 342-346.
12. Stoulil J. et al. Influence of temperature on corrosion rate and porosity of corrosion products of carbon steel in anoxic bentonite environment. Journal of Nuclear Materials2013 443 (1-3) 20-25.
13. Stoulil J. et al. Hydrogen embrittlement of duplex stainless steel 2205 and TiPd alloy in a synthetic bentonite pore water. Corrosion2019 (available http://corrosionjournal.org/doi/pdf/10.5006/2852).
14. Stoulil J. et al. 1D simulation of canister galvanic corrosion in saturated compacted bentonite. Materials and Corrosion2018 69 (9) 1163-1169.
15. Novikova D. et al. Korozní chování oceli ČSN 422707.9 v zahuštěné syntetické pórové vodě bentonitu. Koroze a ochrana materiálu2016 60 (3) 68-73.
16. Stoulil J. et al. Influence of heat transfer on corrosion behaviour of materials for radioactive waste canisters in synthetic bentonite pore water and bentonite suspension. Koroze a ochrana materiálu2016 60 (5) 139-143.
17. Stoulil J.; Dobrev D. Microbial corrosion of metallic materials in a deep nuclear-waste repository. Koroze a ochrana materiálu2016 60 (2) 60-67.
18. Stoulil J. et al. Korozní chování mědi v prostředí vlhkého bentonitu Rokle B75. Koroze a ochrana materiálu2014 58 (2) 43-47.