Introduction:Mycoplasma bovis is known as a causative agent of many disorders in cattle. In Europe, there is still a lack of commercial vaccines against M. bovis infection. Acute phase response (APR) is a non-specific host reaction to infection, most seen in changes in production of acute phase proteins. The aim of this study was to analyse APR in calves administered with an experimental M. bovis vaccine.
Material and Methods: Twelve healthy female calves were divided into two equal groups: experimental and control. The experimental vaccine containing the field M. bovis strain and two adjuvants such as saponin and lysozyme dimer was subcutaneously administered to the experimental group. Phosphate buffered saline was taken as the placebo and given to the control group by the same route as the vaccine. Blood samples were collected prior to the study (day 0), then daily up to day 7, and then each seven days until day 84 post vaccination. The concentrations of serum amyloid A (SAA), haptoglobin (Hp), interferon-γ (IFN-γ), and inteleukin-4 (IL-4) were determined using commercial ELISA kits.
Results: Following the vaccination, a significant increase in SAA, Hp, and IFN-γ concentrations was observed when compared to the unvaccinated calves, whereas the IL-4 concentration was not detectable.
Conclusion: The experimental saponin-based M. bovis vaccine containing lysozyme dimer adjuvant visibly stimulated the APR in the calves, and some specific cytokines (Th1-dependent) directly involved in this response.
3. Chan J.P., Chang C.C., Hsu W.L., Liu W.B., Chen T.H.: Association of increased serum acute-phase protein concentrations with reproductive performance in dairy cows with postpartum metritis. Vet Clin Pathol 2010, 39, 72–78.
4. Danscher A., Thoefner M., Heegaard P., Ekstrom C., Jacobsen S.: Acute phase protein response during acute ruminal acidosis in cattle. Livest Sci 2011, 135, 62–69.
5. Dembiński Z., Malinowski E., Kiczka W., Bronicki M., Kuźma R.: Application of Lydium-KLP (dimer of lysozyme) in treatment of inflammation of endometrium in cows. Proc. XVII Buiatrics Congress, Bologna, 1994, pp. 321–324.
6. Dudek K., Bednarek D., Ayling R.D., Kycko A., Szacawa E., Karpińska T.A.: An experimental vaccine composed of two adjuvants gives protection against Mycoplasma bovis in calves. Vaccine 2016, 34, 3051–3058.
7. Dudek K., Bednarek D., Ayling R.D., Szacawa E.: Immunomodulatory effect of Mycoplasma bovis in experimentally infected calves. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 2013, 57, 499–506.
8. Dudek K., Bednarek D., Ayling R.D., Szczotka M., Iwan E., Kocki J.: Analysis of the immune response of calves to various saponin-based adjuvants for an experimental Mycoplasma bovis vaccine. Acta Vet Hung 2018, 66, 226–240.
9. Dudek K., Bednarek D., Szacawa E.: Evaluation of immune response in seropositive cattle for Mycoplasma bovis. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 2011, 55, 631–634.
10. Dudek K., Bednarek D., Szymańska-Czerwińska M.: Acute phase response in calves as a result of experimental challenge with Mycoplasma bovis. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 2010, 54, 517–520.
11. Dudek K., Bednarek D.: Humoral immunity in the calves experimentally vaccinated against Mycoplasma bovis infections. Med Weter 2017, 73, 425–428.
12. Dudek K., Bednarek D.: T- and B-cell response analysis following calf immunisation with experimental Mycoplasma bovis vaccine containing saponin and lysozyme dimer. J Vet Res 2017, 61, 433–437.
13. Huzzey J.M., Nydam D.V., Grant R.J., Overton T.R.: Associations of prepartum plasma cortisol, haptoglobin, fecal cortisol metabolites, and nonesterified fatty acids with postpartum health status in Holstein dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2011, 94, 5878–5889.
14. Malinowski E., Kiczka W., Kondracki M., Pilaszek J., Nadolny M., Branicki T., Kuźma R.: Przydatność Lydium-KLP w leczeniu odoskrzelowego zapalenia płuc cieląt. (Effectiveness of Lydium-KLP in the treatment of calf bronchopneumonia) Życie Wet 1994, 69, 175–178.
15. Malinowski E., Kiczka W., Truszczyński M., Ziętara J., Nadolny M.: Przydatność Lydium-KLP w terapii gastroenteritis cieląt. (Effectiveness of Lydium-KLP in the treatment of calf gastroenteritis) Życie Wet 1994, 69, 172–175.
16. Malinowski E., Kłossowska A., Szalbierz M., Sobolewski J., Sobolewska S.: Przebieg ustępowania mastitis subclinica po iniekcji Lydium-KLP. (Disease course in subclinical mastitis following Lydium-KLP injection) Życie Wet 1996, 71, 304–306.
17. Malinowski E., Sobolewski J., Markiewicz H., Kiczka W., Klein P.,: A New method treatment of cystic ovary disease with Lydium-KLP. 13th International Congress on animal Reproduction, Sydney, 1996, pp. 13–20.
18. Molenaar A.J., Harris D.P., Rajan G.H., Pearson M.L., Callaghan M.R., Sommer L., Farr V.C., Oden K.E., Miles M.C., Petrova R.S., Good L.L., Singh K., McLaren R.D., Prosser C.G., Kim K.S., Wieliczko R.J., Dines M.H., Johannessen K.M., Grigor M.R., Davis S.R., Stelwagen K.: The acute-phase protein serum amyloid A3 is expressed in the bovine mammary gland and plays a role in host defence. Biomarkers 2009, 14, 26–37.
19. Mordak R.: Postpartum serum concentration of haptoglobin in cows with fetal membranes retention. Cattle Pract 2009, 17, 100–102.
20. Nicholas R.A., Ayling R.D., Stipkovits L.P.: An experimental vaccine for calf pneumonia caused by Mycoplasma bovis: clinical, cultural, serological and pathological findings. Vaccine 2002, 20, 3569–3575.
21. Sadek K., Saleh E., Ayoub M.: Selective, reliable blood and milk bio-markers for diagnosing clinical and subclinical bovine mastitis. Trop Anim Health Prod 2017, 49, 431–437.
22. Siwicki A.K., Pejsak Z., Studnicka M., Klein P., Mokrzycka A., Rymuszka A., Bownik A.: Badania porównawcze nad wpływem dimeru lizozymu (KLP-602, Lydium-KLP) na komórkowe i humoralne mechanizmy obronne oraz poziom cytokin u prosiąt. (A comparative study on the effect of lysozyme dimer (KLP-602, Lydium-KLP) on cellular and humoral defence mechanisms and cytokine levels in piglets). Materiały II Krajowego Sympozjum Immunologów Wet. (Proceedings of the II National Symposium on Veterinary Immunology), Świnoujście, 1997, p. 175.
23. Soehnlen M.K., Aydin A., Lengerich E.J., Houser B.A., Fenton G.D., Lysczek H.R., Burns C.M., Byler L.I., Hattel A.L., Wolfgang D.R., Jayarao B.M.: Blinded, controlled field trial of two commercially available Mycoplasma bovis bacterin vaccines in veal calves. Vaccine 2011, 29, 5347–5354.
24. Stefaniak T.: Białka ostrej fazy u bydła (Acute phase proteins in cattle). In: Białka ostrej fazy u zwierząt (Acute phase proteins in animals), edited by Kostro K., Gliński Z., Publisher Akademia Rolnicza in Lublin, Lublin, 2003, pp. 174–176.
25. Targowski S.P., Niemialtowski M.: Appearance of Fc receptors on polymorphonuclear leukocytes after migration and their role in phagocytosis. Infect Immun 1986, 52, 798–802.
26. Vanden Bush T.J., Rosenbusch R.F.: Characterization of the immune response to Mycoplasma bovis lung infection. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 2003, 94, 23–33.
27. Zarrin M., Wellnitz O., van Dorland H.A., Bruckmaier R.M.: Induced hyperketonemia affects the mammary immune response during lipopolysaccharide challenge in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2014, 97, 330–339.