This paper overviewed theoretical basis, clinical evidence and clinical practice principles of antiplatelet therapy in patients with hypertension to draw attention to take appropriate risk stratification, rigorous screening for bleeding cases and to administer aspirin with appropriate dose in daily clinical practice.
1. National Cardiovascular Disease Center. Chinese Cardiovascular Disease Report 2008-2009. Beijing: Encyclopedia of China Publishing House; 2010. p. 1.
2. Vasan RS, Beiser A, Seshadri S, Larson MG, Kannel WB, D’Agostino RB, et al. Residual lifetime risk for developing hypertension in middle-aged women and men: The Framingham Heart Study. JAMA 2002;287:1003-10.
3. Junga K, Merlo J, Gullberg B, Bog-Hansen E, Rastam L, Lindblad U. Residual risk for acute stroke in patients with type 2 diabetes and hypertension in primary care: Skaraborg hypertension and diabetes project. Diabetes Obes Metab 2006;8:492-500.
4. Ross R. Atherosclerosis - An inflammatory disease. N Engl J Med 1999;340:115-26.
5. Aukrust P, Waehre T, Damås JK, Gullestad L, Solum NO. Inflammatory role of platelets in acute coronary syndromes. Heart 2001;86:605-6.
6. May AE, Seizer P, Gawaz M. Platelets: Inflammatory firebugs of vascular walls. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2008;28:s5-10.
7. Hansson L, Zanchetti A, Carruthers SG, Dahlöf B, Elmfeldt D, Julius S, et al. Effects of intensive blood-pressure lowering and low-dose aspirin in patients with hypertension: Principal results of the hypertension optimal treatment (HOT) randomised trial. HOT Study Group. Lancet 1998;351:1755-62.
8. Ridker PM, Cook NR, Lee IM, Gordon D, Gaziano JM, Manson JE, et al. A randomized trial of low-dose aspirin in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in women. N Engl J Med 2005;352:1293-304.
9. Peto R, Gray R, Collins R, Wheatley K, Hennekens C, Jamrozik K, et al. Randomised trial of prophylactic daily aspirin in British male doctors. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1988;296:313-6.
10. Final report on the aspirin component of the ongoing Physicians’ Health Study. Steering Committee of the Physicians’ Health Study Research Group. N Engl J Med 1989;321:129-35.
11. Thrombosis Prevention Trial: Randomised trial of low-intensity oral anticoagulation with warfarin and low-dose aspirin in the primary prevention of ischaemic heart disease in men at increased risk. The Medical Research Council’s General Practice Research Framework. Lancet 1998;351:233-41.
12. de Gaetano G, Collaborative Group of the Primary Prevention Project. Low-dose aspirin and vitamin E in people at cardiovascular risk: A randomised trial in general practice. Collaborative Group of the Primary Prevention Project. Lancet 2001;357:89-95.
13. European Society of Hypertension-European Society of Cardiology Guidelines Committee. 2003 European Society of Hypertension- European Society of Cardiology guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension. J Hypertens 2003;21:1011-53.
14. Mancia G, Laurent S, Agabiti-Rosei E, Ambrosioni E, Burnier M, Caulfield MJ, et al. Reappraisal of European guidelines on hypertension management: A European Society of Hypertension Task Force document. J Hypertens 2009;27:2121-58.
15. Chobanian AV, Bakris GL, Black HR, Cushman WC, Green LA, Izzo JL Jr, et al. The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure: The JNC 7 report. JAMA 2003;289:2560-72.
16. Chinese College of Cardiovascular Physicians of Chinese Medical Association, Editorial Committee of Chinese Journal of Internal Medicine. Chinese experts consensus on primary prevention of cardiovascular diseases. Chin J Intern Med 2010;49:174-89.
17. US Preventive Services Task Force. Aspirin for the prevention of cardiovascular disease: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med 2009;150:396-404.
18. Bhatt DL, Scheiman J, Abraham NS, Antman EM, Chan FK, Furberg CD, et al. ACCF/ACG/AHA 2008 expert consensus document on reducing the gastrointestinal risks of antiplatelet therapy and NSAID use: A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Task Force on Clinical Expert Consensus Documents. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008;52:1502-17.
19. Antithrombotic Trialists’ (ATT) Collaboration, Baigent C, Blackwell L, Collins R, Emberson J, Godwin J, et al. Aspirin in the primary and secondary prevention of vascular disease: Collaborative metaanalysis of individual participant data from randomised trials. Lancet 2009;373:1849-60.
20. Chinese College of Cardiovascular Diseases of Chinese Medical Association, Editorial Committee of Chinese Journal of Cardiology. Clinical application of aspirin in atherosclerotic cardiovascular diseases. Chinese Experts Consensus (2005). Chin J Cardiol 2006;34:281-4.