All throughout history the unborn, and implicitly its protection, have been subject for academics and practitioners of various areas. The problem of the origin of the soul and the exact determination of the moment when it is united with the body was crucial in enabling us to define the exact moment when the human life begins, and, consequently, for providing proper protection for the unborn child. In this context visions of the Greek philosophers like Plato, Aristotle, Albertus Magnus and Thomas Aquinas, and of the Latin writer Tertullian, as well as Christian perspectives were analysed in order to identify the starting point of the human being to help determine the level of protection provided for the unborn in history. Finally, considering the fact that not even today has consensus been achieved concerning the beginning of human life, it was and still is difficult to provide proper legal protection for the unborn child, but in our opinion this is by far not impossible.
1. Aristotel, De Generatione Animalium, II, Translated into English by A. L. Peck (Generation of animals), Harvard University Press, Cambridge, 1902, available on: https://archive.org/details/generationofanim00arisuoft.
2. Father Arsenie Papacioc (Ieron Benedict Stancu Publishing), On the Harmony of Marriage, Ed. Elena, Constanța, 2013.
3. J. Barr, Tertullian and the Unborn Child: Christian and Pagan Attitudes in Historical Perspective, Ed. Routledge, Abingdon, 2017.
4. J. P. Garcia-Scougall, G. R. Cantu Quintanilla, “The Underpinnings of the Human Rights of the Embryo”, in Persona e Bioetica, Nr. 2, Vol. 19, 2015.
5. L. M. Stănilă, Provocările bioeticii şi răspunderea penală, Ed. Universul Juridic, Colection Monografii, Bucureşti, 2015.
6. Law Reform Commission of Canada, Working paper 58: Crimes against the foetus, Ottawa, 1989.
7. MobiSystems, Oxford Concise Medical Dictionary, 8th Edition (Version 220.127.116.11) [Software for Windows], 2015, available on:
9. N. M. Ford, When Did I Begin? Conception of the Human Individual in History, Philosophy, and Science, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1988.
10. P. Semen, L. Petcu (Coords.), Părinții Capadocieni, Colection Universitaria, Vol. 101, Series Teologie, Ed. Fundației Academice,, AXIS”, 2009.
11. Platon, Republica, Translated into English by Allan Bloom, Book IV, 441 a, available on: http://www.inp.uw.edu.pl/mdsie/Political_Thought/Plato-Republic.pdf.
12. Platon, Timaeus, Translated into English by Benjamin Jowett, available on: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1572/1572-h/1572-h.htm.
13. Supreme Court of the United States of America, Cause Roe versus Wade, the verdict from 22nd January, 1973, available on:
15. T. de Aquinas, Summa Theologiae, Translated into English by Dominican Fathers, Ed. Benziger, New York, 1948.
16. The Holy Bible Authorized King James Version. Genesis. Chapter 1:26-27, available on: http://www.ebible.ro/biblia/romana/ortodoxa/facerea/1/.
17. Web source: http://www.patriarhia.ro/avortul-78.html.