Introduction: Abdominal radical trachelectomy (ART) for tumors of the uterine cervix can be performed while the pregnancy is ongoing, but the success rates so far are reduced.
Case series presentation: ART was performed in three patients with cervical cancer diagnosed during pregnancy, with a triple aim to offer a radical surgery for cervical cancer, but also to preserve the ongoing pregnancy and fertility. The ART was successful in one patient, and she delivered a healthy baby at term, by cesarean section. The other 2 patients experienced obstetrical complications and lost their pregnancies after ART, but in one of the cases, fertility was preserved.
Conclusions: Radical trachelectomy could be performed as alternative therapy for pregnant women with invasive malignancies of the cervix. This procedure may prevent female patients to lose a much-desired pregnancy, their fertility, as well as their maternity.
1. Amant F, Halaska MJ, Fumagalli M, et al. Gynecologic cancers in pregnancy: guidelines of a second international consensus meeting. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2014;24:394-403.
2. Amant F, Van Calsteren K, Halaska MJ, et al. Gynecologic cancers in pregnancy: guidelines of an international consensus meeting. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2009;19:S1-S12.
3. Pentheroudakis G, Orecchia R, Hoekstra HJ, Pavlidis N. Cancer, fertility and pregnancy: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol. 2010;21:266-273.
4. Morice P, Narducci F, Mathevet P, et al. French Recommendations on the Management of Invasive Cervical Cancer During Pregnancy. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2009;19:1638-1641.
5. Creasman WT. Cancer and pregnancy. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2001;943:281-286.
6. Nguyen C, Montz FJ, Bristow RE. Management of stage I cervical cancer in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2000;55:633-643.
7. Chiricută I. Colpohisterectomia lărgită subfundică. In: Sîrbu P, Chiricută I, Pandele A, Setlacec D. Chirurgia ginecologică. Bucureşti/Ed. Medicală; 1981. p. 714-722.
8. Dargent D, Brun JL, Roy M, et al. La trachelectomie elargie (TE) une alternative a l’hysterectomie radicale dans le traitement des cancers infiltrants developes sur la face externe du col uterin. J Obstet Gynecol. 1994;2:285-292.
9. van de Nieuwenhof HP, van Ham MAPC, Lotgering FK, Massuger LFAG. First case of vaginal radical trachelectomy in a pregnant patient. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2008;18:1381-1385.
10. Alouini S, Rida K, Mathevet P. Cervical cancer complicating pregnancy: implications of laparoscopic lymphadenectomy. Gynecol Oncol. 2008;108:472-477.
11. Sioutas A, Schedvins K, Larson B, Gemzell-Danielsson K. Three cases of vaginal radical trachelectomy during pregnancy. Gynecol Oncol. 2011;121:420-421.
12. Iwami N, Ishioka S, Endo T, Baba T, et al. First case of vaginal radical trachelectomy in a pregnant Japanese woman. Int J Clin Oncol. 2011;16:737-740.
13. Ferraioli D, Buenerd A, Marchiolè P, Constantini S, Venturini PL, Mathevet P. Early invasive cervical cancer during pregnancy: different therapeutic options to preserve fertility. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2012;22:842-849.
14. Ungár L, Smith JR, Pálfalvi L, del Priore G. Abdominal radical trachelectomy during pregnancy to preserve pregnancy and fertility. Obstet Gynecol. 2006;108:811-814.
15. Abu-Rustum NR, Tal MN, DeLair D, Shih K, Sonoda Y. Radical abdominal trachelectomy for stage IB1 cervical cancer at 15-week gestation. Gynecol Oncol. 2010;116:151-152.
16. Mandic A, Novakovic P, Nincic D, Zivaljevic M, Rajovic J. Radical abdominal trachelectomy in the 19th gestation week in patients with early invasive cervical carcinoma: case study and overview of literature. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009;201:e6-e8.
17. Karateke A, Cam C, Celik C, et al. Radical trachelectomy in late pregnancy: Is it an option? Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2010;152:112-113.
18. Enomoto T, Yoshino K, Fujita M, et al. A successful case of abdominal radical trachelectomy for cervical cancer during pregnancy. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2011;158:365-366.
19. Aoki Y, Inamine M, Ohishi S, Nagai Y, Masamoto H. Radical Abdominal Trachelectomy for IB1 Cervical Cancer at 17 Weeks of Gestation: A Case Report and Literature Review. Case Rep Obstet Gynecol. 2014;2014:926502.