Introduction: Upper gastrointestinal bleeding is an uncommon but possible life-threatening entity in children, frequently caused by erosive gastritis. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are one of the most common class of drugs which can cause gastrointestinal complications, including hemorrhagic gastritis.
Case report: The case of a 6-year-old male, admitted for hematemesis, abdominal pain and loss of appetite. It was ascertained at the time of admission, that ibuprofen had been prescribed as the patient had a fever. This was inappropriately administered as the mother did not respect the intervals between the doses.
Initial laboratory tests revealed neutrophilia, leukopenia, high levels of lactate dehydrogenase and urea. An upper digestive endoscopy revealed an increased friability of the mucosa, digested blood in the gastric corpus and fornix. No active bleeding site was detected. The histopathological examination described a reactive modification of the corporeal gastric mucosa. Intravenous treatment with proton pump inhibitors and fluid replacement were initiated, with favorable results.
Conclusion: Ibuprofen can lead to upper digestive hemorrhage independently of the administered dose. Parents should avoid administering Ibuprofen for fever suppression without consulting their pediatrician.
1. Bhatia V, Lodha R. Upper gastrointestinal bleeding. Indian J Pediatr. 2011;78:227–33.
2. Gimiga N, Olaru C, Diaconescu S, Miron I, Burlea M. Upper gastrointestinal bleeding in children from a hospital center of Northeast Romania. Minerva Pediatr. 2016;68:189–95.
3. Reintam A, Parm P, Kitus R, Kern H, Starkopf J. Gastrointestinal symptoms in intensive care patients. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2009;53:318–24.
4. Deerojanawong J, Peongsujarit D, Vivatvakin B, Prapphal N. Incidence and risk factors of upper gastrointestinal bleeding in mechanically ventilated children. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2009;10:91–5.
5. Mureşan M, Bancu S, Bara T, Bancu L, Turcu M, Mureşan S. [Local recurrence after the sphincter-saving operations and abdominal perineal resection in rectal cancer]. Chirurgia (Bucur). 2009;104:415–8.
6. Dills R, Anderson LA, Pierce CA. The role of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in pediatric patients. Pharmacol Res. 2012;65:5–8.
7. Brune K, Patrignani P. New insights into the use of currently available non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. J Pain Res. 2015;8:105–18.
8. Rafaniello C, Ferrajolo C, Sullo MG et al. Risk of gastrointestinal complications associated to NSAIDs, low-dose aspirin and their combinations: Results of a pharmacovigilance reporting system. Pharmacol Res. 2016;104:108–14.
9. Cardile S, Martinelli M, Barabino A et al. Italian survey on non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and gastrointestinal bleeding in children. World J Gastroenterol. 2016;22:1877–83.
10. Lanza FL, Chan FKL, Quigley EMM, Practice Parameters Committee of the American College of Gastroenterology. Guidelines for prevention of NSAID-related ulcer complications. Am J Gastroenterol. 2009;104:728–38.
11. Meliţ LE, Mărginean CO, Mocanu S, Mărginean MO. A rare case of iron-pill induced gastritis in a female teenager: A case report and a review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7550.
12. Berezin SH, Bostwick HE, Halata MS, Feerick J, Newman LJ, Medow MS. Gastrointestinal bleeding in children following ingestion of low-dose ibuprofen. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2007;44:506–8.
13. Mărginean CO, Meliţ LE, Chinceşan M et al. Communication skills in pediatrics - the relationship between pediatrician and child. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8399.
14. Vaquero Sosa E, Bodas Pinedo A, Maluenda Carrillo C. [Gastrointestinal bleeding following ingestion of low-dose ibuprofen]. An Pediatr (Barc). 2013;78:51–3.
15. Anyanwu LJC, Mohammad AM. Gastrointestinal bleeding following NSAID ingestion in children. Annals of Pediatric Surgery. 2013;9:87–9.
16. Mărginean MO, Mărginean CO, Meliţ LE, Voidăzan S, Moldovan V, Bănescu C. The impact of host’s genetic susceptibility on Helicobacter pylori infection in children. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7612.
17. Mărginean CO, Cotoi OS, Pitea AM, Mocanu S, Mărginean C. Assessment of the relationship between Helicobacter pylori infection, endoscopic appearance and histological changes of the gastric mucosa in children with gastritis (a single center experience). Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2013;54:709–15.
18. Lee S-Y. Future candidates for indications of Helicobacter pylori eradication: do the indications need to be revised? J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012;27:200–11.
19. Nasher O, Devadason D, Stewart RJ. Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding in Children: A Tertiary United Kingdom Children’s Hospital Experience. Children (Basel). 2017;4:95.