The aim of the investigation was to analyze the correlation between myocardial infarction and ischemic heart disease, on the one hand, and acute ischemic stroke (AIS), on the other hand. We studied 258 AIS patients (mean age 70.9±7.22 years, range 49-92 years) hospitalized in 2007-2013 in the First Clinic of Neurology, St. Marina University Hospital of Varna. The diagnosis of acute ischemic stroke was confirmed by Doppler sonography and computed tomography of the cerebral circulation. Data were statistically processed by variation and correlation analysis. Our results proved a relatively strong correlation between effort angina pectoris and ischemic heart disease (Pearson's coefficient: r=0.643) as well as a weak correlation between ischemic heart disease and myocardial infarction (Pearson's coefficient: r=0.243) among acute ischemic stroke patients. The well-known risk factors for these cardiovascular diseases such as obesity, tobacco smoking, low physical activity and alcohol abuse were common among the patients with acute ischemic stroke, too. In conclusion, both myocardial infarction and ischemic heart disease are strongly associated with the development of acute ischemic stroke. Such patients require strict and regular control by general practitioners. They should observe an appropriate diet and adhere to a healthy life-style.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Brammås A Jakobsson S Ulvenstam A Mooe T. Mortality after ischemic stroke in patients with acute myocardial infarction: predictors and trends over time in Sweden. Stroke. 2013;44(11):3050-5.
2. Ulvenstam A Kajermo U Modica A Jernberg T Söderström L Mooe T. Incidence trends and predictors of ischemic stroke 1 year after an acute myocardial infarction. Stroke. 2014;45(11):3263-8.
3. Kajermo U Ulvenstam A Modica A Jernberg T Mooe T. Incidence trends and predictors of ischemic stroke 30 days after an acute myocardial infarction. Stroke. 2014;45(5):1324-30.
4. Jakobsson S Graipe A Huber D Björklund F Mooe T. The risk of ischemic stroke after an acute myocardial infarction in patients with decreased renal function. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2014;37(6):460-9.
5. Kovacik M Madarasz S Kral M Veverka T Herzig R Kanovsky P. Risk factors associated with ischemic heart disease occurence in acute ischemic stroke patients. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub. 2013;157(2):168-71.
6. Naderi N Masoomi H Mozaffar T Malik S. Patient characteristics and comorbidities associated with cerebrovascular accident following acute myocardial infarction in the United States. Int J Cardiol. 2014;175(2):323-7.
7. Gattringer T Niederkorn K Seyfang L Seifert-Held T Simmet N Ferrari J et al. Myocardial infarction as a complication in acute stroke: results from the Austrian stroke unit registry. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2014;37(2):147-52.
8. Jakobsson S Bergström L Björklund F Jernberg T Söderström L Mooe T. Risk of ischemic stroke after an acute myocardial infarction in patients with diabetes mellitus. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2014;7(1):95-101.
9. Gu L Liu W Yan Y Su L Wu G Liang B et al. Influence of the β-fibrinogen-455G/A polymorphism on development of ischemic stroke and coronary heart disease. Thromb Res. 2014;133(6):993-1005.
10. Iso H Noda H Ikeda A Yamagishi K Inoue M Iwasaki M et al. The impact of C-reactive protein on risk of stroke stroke subtypes and ischemic heart disease in middle-aged Japanese: the Japan public health center-based study. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2012;19(8):756-66.
11. Iwasaki K Haraoka K Hamaguchi T Imamura T Kawada S Ohno M et al. Prevalence of subclinical coronary artery disease in ischemic stroke patients. J Cardiol. 2015;65(1):71-5.
12. Wu DF Yin RX Cao XL Chen WX. Association between single nucleotide polymorphism rs1044925 and the risk of coronary artery disease and ischemic stroke. Int J Mol Sci. 2014;15(3):3546-59.
13. Hoshino T Ishizuka K Shimizu S Uchiyama S. CHADS2 CHA2DS2-VASc and R2CHADS2 scores are associated with 3-month functional outcome of stroke in patients with prior coronary artery disease. Circ J. 2014;78(6):1481-5.
14. González-Pacheco H Méndez-Domínguez A Vieyra-Herrera G Azar-Manzur F Meave-González A Rodríguez-Zanella H et al. Reperfusion strategy for simultaneous ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction and acute ischemic stroke within a time window. Am J Emerg Med. 2014;32(9):1157.e1-4.
15. Dregan A Charlton J Wolfe CD Gulliford MC Markus HS. Is sodium valproate an HDAC inhibitor associated with reduced risk of stroke and myocardial infarction? A nested case-control study. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2014;23(7):759-67.
16. Thomas K Kessler C. New antiplatelet agents prescribed to patients with ischemic heart disease: implications for treatment of stroke. Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2014;16(5):289.