The objective of this study was to analyze the association between some cardiovascular diseases and acute ischemic stroke. A total of 258 acute ischemic stroke patients (mean age 70.59±7.22 years) were examined. The presence of eight cardiovascular diseases and pathological conditions was analyzed: arterial hypertension, hypertensive heart, atrial fibrillation, myocardial infarction, ischemic heart disease, effort angina pectoris, coronary atherosclerosis, and heart failure. Data were statistically processed by variation and correlation analysis. Most male and female patients presented with four accompanying cardiovascular diseases (27 or 20.93% and 31 or 24.03% of the cases, respectively). There were two groups of four variables each - with a relatively strong and a moderate, as well as with a weak correlation (r<0.4), to the presence of acute ischemic stroke in the corresponding patients. Ischemic heart disease was strongly associated with effort angina pectoris (r=0.667) and to a lesser extent - with coronary atherosclerosis (r=0.470), whereas myocardial infarction was associated with coronary atherosclerosis (r=0.604) and ischemic heart disease (r=0.378), respectively. Arterial hypertension was moderately related to hypertensive heart (r=0.300). In conclusion, there were relatively close associations between acute ischemic stroke and these heart diseases. These patients should strictly and regularly be followed up by general practitioners.
2. Malinska V, Vasileva E, Klisurski M, Muradian N, Partenov G, Genchev G, et al. Ischemic stroke in very old – risk factors and etiopathogenesis. Bulgarian Neurology. 2012;12(1):27-30.
3. Wang CY, Chen ZW, Zhang T, Liu J, Chen SH, Liu SY, et al. Elevated plasma homocysteine level is associated with ischemic stroke in Chinese hypertensive patients. Eur J Intern Med. 2014;25(6):538-44.
4. Afshin A, Micha R, Khatibzadeh S, Mozaffarian D. Consumption of nuts and legumes and risk of incident ischemic heart disease, stroke, and diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2014;100(1):278-88.
5. Wong JM, Welles CC, Azarbal F, Whooley MA, Schiller NB, Turakhia MP. Relation of left atrial dysfunction to ischemic stroke in patients with coronary heart disease (from the Heart and Soul Study). Am J Cardiol. 2014;113(10):1679-84.
6. Del Brutto OH, Peñaherrera E, Ochoa E, Santamaría M, Zambrano M, Del Brutto VJ; Atahualpa Project Investigators. Door-to-door survey of cardiovascular health, stroke, and ischemic heart disease in rural coastal Ecuador - the Atahualpa Project: methodology and operational definitions. Int J Stroke. 2014;9(3):367-71.
7. Del Brutto OH, Mera RM, Montalván M, Del Brutto VJ, Zambrano M, Santamaría M, et al. Cardiovascular health status and metabolic syndrome in Ecuadorian natives/Mestizos aged 40 years or more with and without stroke and ischemic heart disease - an Atahualpa project case-control nested study. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2014;23(4):643-8.
8. Kisialiou A, Grella R, Carrizzo A, Pelone G, Bartolo M, Zucchella C, et al. Risk factors and acute ischemic stroke subtypes. J Neurol Sci. 2014;339(1-2):41-6.
9. Moon J, Lee HJ, Kim YJ, Kim JY, Pak HN, Ha JW, et al. Short stature and ischemic stroke in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation: new insight into the old observation. Int J Cardiol. 2014;174(3):541-4.
10. Pierdomenico SD, Pierdomenico AM, Di Carlo S, Di Tommaso R, Cuccurullo F. Left atrial enlargement and risk of ischemic stroke in elderly treated hypertensive patients. Am J Hypertens. 2014;27(9):1179-84.
11. Kamel H, Soliman EZ, Heckbert SR, Kronmal RA, Longstreth WT Jr, Nazarian S, et al. P-wave morphology and the risk of incident ischemic stroke in the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. Stroke. 2014;45(9):2786-8.
12. Siu CW, Lip GY, Lam KF, Tse HF. Risk of stroke and intracranial hemorrhage in 9727 Chinese with atrial fibrillation in Hong Kong. Heart Rhythm. 2014;11(8):1401-8.
13. Fava C, Sjögren M, Olsson S, Lövkvist H, Jood K, Engström G, et al. A genetic risk score for hypertension associates with the risk of ischemic stroke in a Swedish case-control study. Eur J Hum Genet. 2014 Oct 8. doi: 10.1038/ejhg.2014.212.
14. Chao TF, Liu CJ, Chen SJ, Wang KL, Lin YJ, Chang SL, et al. Does digoxin increase the risk of ischemic stroke and mortality in atrial fibrillation? A nationwide population-based cohort study. Can J Cardiol. 2014;30(10):1190-5.
15. Chao TF, Liu CJ, Wang KL, Lin YJ, Chang SL, Lo LW, et al. Incidence and prediction of ischemic stroke among atrial fibrillation patients with end-stage renal disease requiring dialysis. Heart Rhythm. 2014;11(10):1752-9.
16. Chen BX, Tian JP, Wang HX, Xu J, Du FH, Zhao XQ. Effect of blood pressure variability on cardiovascular outcome in diabetic and nondiabetic patients with stroke. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2014;23(9):2450-7.
17. Kim MJ, Song H, Oh SY, Choi JH, Kim BS, Kang J et al. Assessment of stroke and concomitant cerebrovascular disease with heart disease requires invasive treatment: analysis of 249 consecutive patients with heart disease. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014;62(4):317-23.
18. Pullicino PM, McClure LA, Howard VJ, Wadley VG, Safford MM, Meschia JF, et al. Identifying a high stroke risk subgroup in individuals with heart failure. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2013;22(5):620-6.