The paper considers the possibilities for implementation the Cloud technologies in the energy systems control and the expected benefits from this. The trends in the electric energy systems development and the challenges in front of the control are summarized. It is obvious that the introduction of information and communications technologies is unavoidable in order to achieve the main goals – effective, reliable, sustainable and safe operation of the energy system. A possible scenario is the development of a modern metering infrastructure based on smart sensor networks. Development and implementation of Internet of Things oriented solutions is expected to help the introduction of Cloud computing in the industrial and home energy management systems. Two models of IoT based solutions are explained. They consider the approaches for Internet connectivity of modern and legacy measurement and control equipment. Experimental results are given.
1. Giri, J. Proactive Management of the Future Grid. – IEEE Power and Energy Technology Systems Journal, 2, June 2015, No. 2, 43-52. Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/JPETS.2015.2408212. W.K. Chen, Book Style. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, 1993, 1-15.
2. Fang, S. Misra, G. Xue, and D. Yang. Managing Smart Grid Information in the Cloud: Opportunities, Model and Applications. – IEEE Netw., 26, July 2012, No. 4, 32-38.
5. Turcu, C. and V. Gaitan. An Internet of Things Oriented Approach for Water Utility Monitoring and Control. Advances in Computer Science, Proceedings of the 6th WSEAS European Computing Conference (ECC ‘12), Prague, Czech Republic, 24-26 September 2012, 175-180, ISSN 978-1-61804-126-5.
6. Jing, Q., A. Vasilakos, J. Wan, J. Lu, and D. Qiu. Security of the Internet of Things: Perspectives and Challenges. – Wireless Networks, 20, 2014, No. 8, 2481–2501.
7. Yakimov, P., S. Ovcharov, N. Tuliev, E. Balkanska, R. Ivanov. Three Phase Power Transducer for Remote Energy Management System Application. – Annual Journal of Electronics, 4, 2010, No. 2, 31-34, ISSN: 1313-1842.
8. Delsing, J. et. al. Migration of Industrial Process Control Systems into Service Oriented Architecture. 38th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, IECON 2012, 25-28 October 2012, Montreal, Canada, 5786-5792, doi: 10.1109/IECON.2012.6389039.