This paper presents several mathematical methods for analysis of electrocardiogram digital data. The measurement of beat to beat fluctuations known as Heart Rate Variability becomes a non-invasive diagnostic technique to study the cardiac autonomic regulation. The analysis was done by software developed by the author. The article presents the results of linear methods, nonlinear methods and wavelet analysis of Heart Rate Variability data in healthy and diseased subjects. The obtained results and the performed comparative analysis demonstrate the possibility for effective application of the considered methods in new cardiovascular information systems.
1. Marchev, S. Heart Rate Variability – Measurement Standards. Cardio – Vascular Diseases. 1998, 1, 28-35 (in Bulgarian).
2. Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and the North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology. Heart Rate Variability: Standards of Measurement, Physiological Interpretation, and Clinical Use. – Circulation, 93, 1996, 1043-1065.
3. Acharya, U. R., K. P. Joseph, N. Kannathal, C. M. Lim, J. S. Suri. Heart Rate Variability: a Review. – Med. Bio. Eng. Comput, 44, 2006, 1031-1051.
4. Addison, P. Wavelet transforms and the ECG: a review, Physiol.Meas., 2005, No. 26, R155-R199.
5. Clifford, G., F. Azuaje, P. McSharry, Editors. Advanced Methods and Tools for ECG Data Analysis. Artech House, Inc., Boston/London, 2006.
6. Clifford, G. Signal Processing Methods for HRV. Michaelmas Term, 2002.
7. Ernst, G. Heart Rate Variability. Springer-Verlag London, 2014.
8. Kumar, D. M., S. C. Prasannakumar, B. G. Sudarshan, D. Jayadevappa. Heart Rate Variability Analysis: A Review. – International Journal of Advanced Technology in Engineering and Science, 1, June 2013, Issue 6, 9-24.
9. Acharya, U. R., J. S. Suri, J. A. E. Spaan, S. M. Krishnan. Advances in Cardiac Signal Processing. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2007 Torrence C., G. P. Compo. A Practical Guide to Wavelet Analysis. – Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 1998, No. 79, 61-78.
10. Mali, B., S. Zulj, R. Magjarevic, D. Miklavcic, T. Jarm. Matlab-based tool for ECG and HRV analysis. – Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, 10, 2014, 108-116.
11. Akar, S. A., S. Kara, F. Latifoglu, V. Bilgic. Spectral Analysis of Photoplethysmographic Signals: The Importance of Preprocessing. – Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, 8, 2013, 1,16-22.
12. Proakis, J. G., D. G. Manolakis. Digital Signal Processing. Prentice-Hall Inc., New Jersey, 1996 (Chapter 12).
13. Merati, G., M. D. Rienzo, G. Parati, A. Veicsteinas, P. Castiglioni. Assessment of the Autonomic Control of Heart Rate Variability in Healthy and Spinal-cord Injured Subjects: Contribution of Different Complexity-based Estimators. – IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 53, 2006, No. 1, 43-52.
14. Leite, F. S., A. da Rocha, J. Carvalho. MATLAB Software for Detrended Fluctuation Analysis of Heart Rate Variability. Biosignals 2010, International Conference on Bio-inspired Systems and Signal Processing, 2010, 225-229.
15. Piskorski, J., P. Guzik. Geometry of the Poincare Plot of RR Intervals and its Asymmetry in Healthy Adults. – Physiol. Meas, 28, 2007, 287-300.
16. Torrence, C., G. P. Compo. A Practical Guide to Wavelet Analysis. – Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 1998, No. 79, 61-78.