It is generally observed throughout the world that in the last two decades, while the average speed of computers has almost doubled in a span of around eighteen months, the average speed of the network has doubled merely in a span of just eight months!. In order to improve the performance, more and more researchers are focusing their research in the field of computers and its related technologies. World Wide Web (WWW) acts as a medium for sharing of information. As a result, millions of applications run on the Internet and cause increased network traffic and put a great demand on the available network infrastructure. The slow retrieval of Web pages may reduce the user interest from accessing them. To deal with this problem Web caching and Web pre-fetching are used. This paper focuses on a methodology for improving the proxy-based Web caching system using Web mining. It integrates Web caching and Pre-fetching through an efficient clustering based pre-fetching technique.
1. Chen, Y., L. Qiu, W. Chen, L. Nguyen and R. H. Katz. Efficient and Adaptive Web replication using content clustering. Selected Areas in Communications, IEEE Journal on 21(6), 2003, 979-994.
2. Teng, W., C. Y. Chang, and M. S. Chen. Integrating Web Caching and Web Pre-fetching in Client-side Proxies. – IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 16, 2005, Issue 5, 444-455.
3. Podlipnig, S. and L. Boszormenyi. A Survey of Web Cache Replacement strategies. – ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR), 35, 2003, 4, 374-398.
4. Pallis, G., A. Vakali and J. Pokorny. A Clustering-Based Pre-Fetching Scheme on A Web Cache Environment. – ACM Journal Computers and Electrical Engineering, 34, 2008, Issue 4.
5. Jyoti, P., A. Goel, A. K. Sharma. A Framework for Predictive Web Pre-fetching at the Proxy Level Using Data Mining. – IJCSNS, 8, 2008, No. 6, 303-308.
6. Arlitt, M. F. and C. L. Williamson. Trace-Driven Simulation of Document Caching Strategies for Internet Web Servers. – J. of Simulation, 68, 1997, 23-33.
7. Heung, K. L., S. A. Baik and E. J. Kim. Adaptive Pre-fetching Scheme Using Web Log Mining in Cluster-based Web. – ICWS, 2009, 1-8.
8. Feng, W., S. Man and G. Hu. Markov Tree Prediction on Web Cache Pre-fetching. Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence (SCI), Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2009, 105-120.
9. Huang, Y. F. and J. M. Hsu. Mining Web Logs to Improve Hit Ratios of Pre-fetching and Caching. – Knowledge-Based Systems, 21, 2008, 1, 62-69.
10. Rangarajan, S. K., V. V. Phoha, K. Balagani, R. R. Selmic and S. S. Iyengar. Web User Clustering and its Application to Pre-fetching Using ART Neural Networks. – IEEE Computer, 2004, 1-15.