Objective to investigate the association between HBV genotypes and characteristics of rtA181 mutation.
Methods Total of 85 chronic hepatitis B (CHB) patients who appeared rtA181 mutation after nucleos(t)ide analogs (NAs) therapy were enrolled in this study. Levels of serum ALT, AST, HBV DNA and HBsAg titers were monitored during therapy. HBV reverse transcriptase genes were amplified and sequenced to identify genotypes and resistance mutations. Virions and HBsAg in HepG2 cell with rtA181 mutation were also compared between genotypes B and C.
Results The majority of sera contained HBV genotypes B (15.7%) and C (84.3%). There were no significant difference of rtA181 mutant patterns between genotypes (P > 0.05). After emergence of rtA181 mutation, serum ALT, AST, HBV DNA levels and HBsAg titers were decreased than that at baseline (P < 0.05), while these characteristics were not different between genotypes B and C (P > 0.05). In cellular experiment, there were no significant differences between genotypes B and C not only in HBV virions but also in HBsAg titres (P > 0.05).
Conclusions No differences of clinical characteristics and cellular results were found in rtA181 mutation of HBV genotypes B and C.
1. Dienstag JL. Hepatitis B virus infection. N Engl J Med 2008;359(14):1486-1500.
2. Yeh CT, Chien RN, Chu CM, Liaw YF. Clearance of the original hepatitis B virus YMDD-motif mutants with emergence of distinct lamivudine-resistant mutants during prolonged lamivudine therapy. Hepatology 2000;31(6):1318-1326.
3. Chien RN, Yeh CT, Wang PN, Kuo MC, Hsieh SY, Shih LY, et al. Acute leukaemia in chronic hepatitis B patients with lamivudine therapy. Int J Clin Pract 2004;58(11):1088-1091.
4. Hadziyannis SJ, Tassopoulos NC, Heathcote EJ, Chang TT, Kitis G, Rizzetto M, et al. Long term therapy with adefovir dipivoxil for HBeAg negative chronic hepatitis B. N Engl J Med 2005;352(26):2673-2681.
5. Lai CL, Gane E, Liaw YF, Hsu CW, Thongsawat S, Wang Y, et al. Telbivudine versus lamivudine in patients with chronic hepatitis B. N Engl J Med 2007;357(25):2576-2588.
6. Locarnini S. Primary resistance, multidrug resistance, and crossresistance pathways in HBV as a consequence of treatment failure. Hepatol Int 2008;2(2):147-151.
7. Warner N, Locarnini S. The antiviral drug selected hepatitis B virus rtA181T/sW172* mutant has a dominant negative secretion defect and alters the typical profile of viral rebound. Hepatology 2008;48(1):88-98.
8. Lai MW, Yeh CT. The oncogenic potential of hepatitis B failure. Hepatol Int 2008;2(2):147-151.
9. Lai MW, Huang SF, Hsu CW, Chang MH, Liaw YF, Yeh CT. Identification of nonsense mutations in hepatitis B virus S gene in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma developed after lamivudine therapy. Antivir Ther 2009;14(2):249-261.
10. Tatematsu K, Tanaka Y, Kurbanov F, Sugauchi F, Mano S, Maeshiro T, et al. A genetic variant of hepatitis B virus divergent from known human and ape genotypes isolated from a Japanese patient and provisionally assigned to new genotype J. J Virol 2009;83(20):10538-10547.
11. Yu H, Yuan Q, Ge SX, Wang HY, Zhang YL, Chen QR, et al. Molecular and phylogenetic analyses suggest an additional hepatitis B virus genotype “I”. PLoS One 2010;5(2):e9297. doi:
12. Sanchez-Tapias JM, Costa J, Mas A, Bruguera M, Rodes J. Influence of hepatitis B virus genotype on the longterm outcome of chronic hepatitis B in western patients. Gastroenterology 2002;123(6):1848-1856.
13. Chu CJ, Hussain M, Lok AS. Hepatitis B virus genotype B is associated with earlier HBeAg seroconversion compared with hepatitis B virus genotype C. Gastroenterology 2002;122(7):1756-1762.
14. Yu MW, Yeh SH, Chen PJ, Liaw YF, Lin CL, Liu CJ, et al. Hepatitis B virus genotype and DNA level and hepatocellular carcinoma: a prospective study in men. J Natl Cancer Inst 2005;97(4):265-272.
15. Jardi R, Rodriguez-Frias F, Schaper M, Giggi E, Tabernero D, Homs M, et al. Analysis of hepatitis B genotype changes in chronic hepatitis B infection: Influence of antiviral therapy. J Hepatol 2008;49(5):695-701.
16. Sun J, Wang Z, Ma S, Zeng G, Zhou Z, Luo K, et al. Clinical and virological characteristics of lamivudine resistance in chronic hepatitis B patients: a single center experience. J Med Virol 2005;75(3):391-398.
17. Pan XP, Li LJ, Du WB, Li MW, Cao HC, Sheng JF. Differences of YMDD mutational patterns, precore/core promoter mutations, serum HBV DNA levels in lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B genotypes B and C. J Viral Hepat 2007;14(11):767-774.
18. Xu Z, Liu Y, Xu T, Chen L, Si L, Wang Y, et al. Acute hepatitis B infection associated with drug-resistant hepatitis B virus. J Clin Virol 2010;48(4):270-274.
19. Liu Y, Zhong Y, Zou Z, Xu Z, Li B, Ren X, et al. Features and clinical implications of hepatitis B virus genotypes and mutations in basal core promoter/precore region in 507 Chinese patients with acute and chronic hepatitis B. J Clin Virol 2010;47(3):243-247.
20. Sugiyama M, Tanaka Y, Kato T, Orito E, Ito K, Acharya SK, et al. Influence of hepatitis B virus genotypes on the intra- and extracellular expression of viral DNA and antigens. Hepatology 2006;44(4):915-924.
21. Bock CT, Tillmann HL, Torresi J, Klempnauer J, Locarnini S, Manns MP, et al. Selection of hepatitis B virus polymerase mutants with enhanced replication by lamivudine treatment after liver transplantation. Gastroenterology 2002;122(2):264-273.
22. Truong BX, Seo Y, Yano Y, Ho PT, Phuong TM, Long DV, et al. Genotype and variations in core promoter and pre-core regions are related to progression of disease in HBV-infected patients from Northern Vietnam. Int J Mol Med 2007;19(2):293-299.
23. Yuen MF, Wong DK, Sablon E, Yuan HJ, Sum SM, Hui CK, et al. Hepatitis B virus genotypes B and C do not affect the antiviral response to lamivudine. Antivir Ther 2003;8(6):531-534.
24. Madan K, Batra Y, Sreenivas V, Mizokami M, Tanaka Y, Chalamalasetty SB, et al. HBV genotypes in India: do they influence disease severity? Hepatol Res 2009;39(2):157-163.
26. Li X, Wang L, Zhong Y, Wong VW, Xu Z, Liu Y, et al. Hepatitis B virus (HBV) subgenotypes C2 and B2 differ in lamivudineand adefovir-resistance-associated mutational patterns in HBVinfected Chinese patients. J Clin Microbiol 2010;48(12):4363-4369.
27. Li W, Warner N, Sozzi V, Yuen L, Colledge D, Li T, et al. Hepatitis B virus genotype C encoding resistance mutations that emerge during adefovir dipivoxil therapy: in vitro replication phenotype. Hepatol Int 2013;7(2):443-450.
28. Zhong YW, Li J, Song HB, Duan ZP, Dong Y, Xing XY, et al. Virologic and clinical characteristics of HBV genotypes/ subgenotypes in 487 Chinese pediatric patients with CHB. BMC Infect Dis 2011;11:262.
29. Huy TT, Ushijima H, Quang VX, Win KM, Luengrojanakul P, Kikuchi K, et al. Genotype C of hepatitis B virus can be classified into at least two subgroups. J Gen Virol 2004;85(pt2):283-292.