Objective To observe the biological function of human 3-hydroxyisobutyrate dehydrogenase (HIBADH).
Methods Human 3-hydroxyisobutyrate dehydrogenase (HIBADH, 3-hydroxy-2-methyl propanoate: NAD+ oxidoreductase) recombinant protein was expressed in E. coli BL21, and purified by Ni+ column. The special antisera was obtained from rabbits immunized by this purified antigen. On the distribution of HIBADH, it was found that HIBADH over-expressed in the injured liver cells when serious hepatitis occurred. The phenomenon was confirmed in the animal models of SD rats with acute liver cell injury induced by CCl4, but this phenomenon did not exist in the models induced by endotoxin combined with galactosamine. Further more, HIBADH’s overexpression in liver cells will induce cell necrosis through the pathway of oxidative stress.
Results When the liver cells injured by drug or other chemical materials, HIBADH will be compensationally over-expressed for the deficiency of energy, so liver cells can make enough ATP through brand-chain amino acid catabolism. However, the overexpression of HIBADH will be harmful for liver cells through the product of much more active oxygens which will induce the cell necrosis.
Conclusions HIBADH over-expression is a signal of the liver cell metabolism injury, and it can aggravate the liver cell injury through oxidative stress.
1. Rougraff PM, Paxton R, Kuntz MJ, Crabb DW, Harris RA. Purification and characterization of 3-hydroxyisobutyrate dehydrogenase from rabbit liver. J Biol Chem 1988; 263:327-331.
2. Lokanath NK, Shiromizu I, Nodake Y, Sugahara M, Yokoyama S, Kuramitsu S, et al. Crystallization and preliminary X-ray crystallographic studies of NADPdependent 3-hydroxyisobutyrate dehydrogenase from Thermus thermophilus HB8. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 2003; 59:2294-2296.
3. Yao T, Xu L, Ying H, Huang H, Yan M. The catalytic property of 3-hydroxyisobutyrate dehydrogenase from Bacillus cereus on 3-hydroxypropionate. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 2010; 160(3):694-703.
4. Liu F, Song Y, Liu D. Hydrodynamics-based transfection in animals by systemic administration of plasmid DNA. Gene Ther 1999; 6:1258-1266.
5. Murín R, Schaer A, Kowtharapu BS, Verleysdonk S, Hamprecht B. Expression of 3-hydroxyisobutyrate dehydrogenase in cultured neural cells. J Neurochem 2008; 105:1176-1186.
6. Chowdhury EK, Nagata S, Misono H. 3-Hydroxyisobutyrate dehydrogenase from Pseudomonas putida E23: purification and characterization. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 1996; 60:2043-2047.