Purpose. The aim of the study was to analyse the execution efficiency of core tactical principles in young soccer players and compare them among different game positions. Methods. The sample included 54 Brazilian young soccer players. Tactical performance was measured by the System of Tactical Assessment in Soccer with the GR3-3GR test in 3770 tactical actions. Friedman followed by Wilcoxon tests were used to analyse differences between tactical principles. Kruskal-Wallis and Mann-Whitney U tests were performed to compare tactical efficiency between defenders, midfielders, and forwards (p < 0.05). Results. Offensively, the results indicated that young players demonstrated less efficiency in executing the principle ‘depth mobility’ compared with ‘penetration,’ ‘offensive coverage,’ ‘width and length,’ and ‘offensive unity.’ Regarding the defensive aspects, ‘concentration’ was performed more efficiently than other principles. Comparisons between positions proved that midfielders and forwards executed ‘offensive unity’ more efficiently than defenders. Defenders tended to present high ‘defensive coverage’ efficiency when compared with ‘midfielders.’ Conclusions. High efficiency in the execution of ‘concentration’ represents an obstacle to make deep passes and hinders offensive movements between the last defender line and goal, given low efficiency of ‘depth mobility.’ Midfielders and forwards performed ‘offensive unity’ more efficiently than defenders. As for defensive principles, defenders presented better performance in ‘defensive coverage,’ giving support to the first defender. In practical applications, it is suggested that coaches of young regional soccer players carry out activities which allow depth passes to teammates as well as games to promote ‘offensive unity’ for defenders and ‘defensive coverage’ for midfielders.
1. González-Víllora S, Serra-Olivares J, Pastor-Vicedo JC, da Costa IT. Review of the tactical evaluation tools for youth players, assessing the tactics in team sports: football. Springerplus. 2015;4:663; doi:
2. Garganta J, Gréhaigne JF. Systemic approach to soccer game: a case of fashion or need? [in Portuguese]. Movimento. 1999;5(10):40-50. Available from: http://www.seer.ufrgs.br/index.php/Movimento/article/view/2457/1122.
3. Oslin JL, Mitchell SA, Griffin LL. The Game Performance Assessment Instrument (GPAI): development and preliminary validation. J Teach Phys Educ. 1998; 17(2):231-243; doi:
10. Santos RMM, Moraes EL, da Costa IT. Analysis of patterns of offensive of the Spanish National Soccer Team in the 2014 FIFA® World Cup [in Portuguese]. Rev Bras Educ Fís Esporte. 2015;29(1):119-126; doi:
11. Hewitt A, Greenham G, Norton K. Game style in soccer: what is it and can we quantify it? Int J Perform Anal Sport. 2016;16(1):355-372. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301204271_Game_style_in_soccer_what_is_it_and_can_we_quantify_it.
12. Carvalho FM, da Costa IT. Efficiency of tactical principles execution in small sided soccer games: comparison between victory and defeat [in Portuguese]. R Min Educ Fís. 2013;9:605-609. Available from: http://www.novoscursos.ufv.br/projetos/ufv/nupef/www/wp-content/uploads/81_Eficiência-de-Realizaçãodos-Princ%C3%ADpios-Táticos-em-jogos-Reduzidosno-Futebol_Felipe_605-609.pdf.
13. Andrade MOC, da Costa IT. How tactical behaviour efficiency and birthdate affect performance of soccer players? [in Portuguese]. Rev Bras Educ Fís Esporte. 2015;29(3):465-473; doi:
15. Da Costa IT, Garganta J, Greco PJ, Mesquita I, Afonso J. Assessment of tactical principles in youth soccer players of different age groups. Rev Port Cien Desp. 2010; 10(1):147-157. Available from: http://www.scielo.mec.pt/pdf/rpcd/v10n1/v10n1a04.pdf.
16. Vandendriessche JB, Vaeyens R, Vandorpe B, Lenoir M, Lefevre J, Philippaerts RM. Biological maturation, morphology, fitness, and motor coordination as part of a selection strategy in the search for international youth soccer players (age 15-16 years). J Sports Sci. 2012; 30(15):1695-1703; doi:
21. Müller E, Garganta J, Santos RMM, Teoldo I. Tactical behaviour and performance: comparative study between soccer and futsal players [in Portuguese]. R Bras Ci e Mov. 2016;24(2):100-109. Available from: http://www.nucleofutebol.ufv.br/wp-content/uploads/183-2016-Comportamento-e-Desempenho-T%C3%A1ticos-Estudo-Comparativo-entre-Jogadores-de-Futebol-e-Futsal.pdf.
22. Padilha MB, Moraes JC, da Costa IT. Can positional statute influence tactical performance of U-13 youth soccer players? [in Portuguese]. Rev Bras Ci e Mov. 2013; 21(4):73-79; doi:
23. Gonçalves E, Rezende ALG, Teoldo I. Comparison of defensive and offensive tactical performance of U-17 soccer players from different positions [in Portuguese]. Rev Bras Ciênc Esporte. 2017;39(2):108-114; doi:
24. Da Costa IT, Garganta J, Greco PJ, Mesquita I, Muller E. Relationship between pitch size and tactical behaviour of soccer player [in Portuguese]. Rev Bras Educ Fís Esporte. 2011;25(1):79-96. Available from: http://www.scielo.br/pdf/rbefe/v25n1/09.pdf.
25. Moura FA, Martins LEB, Anido RO, Ruffino PRC , Barros RM, Cunha SA. A spectral analysis of team dynamics and tactics in Brazilian football. J Sports Sci. 2013;31(14):1568-1577; doi: