The aim of the study was to evaluate and organize systematically the available literature on skill-related performance in young and adult male soccer players in an attempt to identify the most common topics, ascertain the weaknesses, and elucidate the main contributions of the scientific papers on this issue. A systematic review of the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI) Web of Knowledge database was performed in accordance with the Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic reviews and Meta-analyses (PRISMA) guidelines. The keywords ‘football’ and ‘soccer’ were used, each associated with the following terms: ‘technical analysis,’ ‘technical performance,’ ‘technical activity,’ ‘technical skill,’ ‘technical demands,’ ‘technical profiles,’ ‘technical characteristics,’ ‘technical actions,’ ‘technical scores,’ ‘technical ability,’ ‘motor skills,’ and ‘skill acquisition’. From the 2830 papers, only 60 were reviewed, of which 75% had been published in years 2011-2015 and 53.3% concerned professional or seniors players (above the U-20 category). Out of the 41 papers that analysed the skill-related performance in the match, 48.8% evaluated the performance in small-sided and conditioned games. Among the 27 papers that used validated instruments, 88.9% assessed technical actions outside the match context (e.g. dribbling, shooting tests). Future research should pay attention to the definition and classification of the skill-related variables under investigation in match context and propose tests for measured skill-related performance in soccer, considering that the representativeness task design allies the players’ possibilities of action to the situation of the match.
7. Davids K, Araújo D, Vilar L, Renshaw I, Pinder R. An ecological dynamics approach to skill acquisition: implications for development of talent in sport. Talent Dev Exc. 2013;5(1):21-34.
8. Hughes M, Franks IM. Notational analysis - a review of the literature. In: Hughes M, Franks I (eds.). Notational analysis of sports - systems for better coaching and performance in sport. London: Routledge; 2004;59-106.
9. Júlio L, Araújo D. Dynamic approach to tactical action in soccer game [in Portuguese]. In: Araújo, D (ed.), The context of the decision: tactical action in sport [in Portuguese]. Lisboa: Visão e Contexto; 2005; 159-177.
10. Höner O, Votteler A, Schmid M, Schultz F, Roth K. Psychometric properties of the motor diagnostics in the German football talent identification and development programme. J Sports Sci. 2015;33(2):145-159; doi:
13. Vaeyens R, Malina RM, Janssens M, Van Renterghem B, Bourgois J, Vrijens J, et al. A multidisciplinary selection model for youth soccer: the Ghent Youth Soccer Project. Br J Sports Med. 2006;40(11):928-934; doi:
17. Aquino R, Marques RFR, Petiot GH, Gonçalves LGC, Moraes C, Santiago PRP, et al. Relationship between procedural tactical knowledge and specific motor skills in young soccer players. Sports. 2016;4(4):52-61; doi:
22. Clemente FM, Wong DP, Martins FM, Mendes RS. Acute effects of the number of players and scoring method on physiological, physical, and technical performance in small-sided soccer games. Res Sports Med. 2014;22(4):380-397; doi:
23. Guilherme J, Garganta J, Graça A, Seabra A. Influence of non-preferred foot technical training in reducing lower limbs functional asymmetry among young football players. J Sports Sci. 2015;33(7):1790-1798; doi:
26. Draganidis D, Chatzinikolaou A, Jamurtas AZ, Carlos Barbero J, Tsoukas D, Theodorou AS, et al. The timeframe of acute resistance exercise effects on football skill performance: the impact of exercise intensity. J Sports Sci. 2013;31(7):714-722; doi:
27. Marcelino R, Sampaio J, Mesquita I. Research on the game analysis: from static to dynamic modeling [in Portuguese]. RPCD. 2011;11(1):481-499.
28. Bradley PS, Lago-Peñas C, Rey E, Gomez Diaz A. The effect of high and low percentage ball possession on physical and technical profiles in English FA Premier League soccer matches. J Sports Sci. 2013;31(12):1261- 1270; doi:
31. Rampinini E, Impellizzeri FM, Castagna C, Coutts AJ, Wisløff U. Technical performance during soccer matches of the Italian Serie A league: effect of fatigue and competitive level. J Sci Med Sport. 2009;12(1):227- 233; doi:
32. Carling C, Le Gall F, McCall A, Nédélec M, Dupont G. Squad management, injury and match performance in a professional soccer team over a championshipwinning season. Eur J Sport Sci. 2015;15(7):573-582; doi:
38. O’Donoghue P. Reliability issues in performance analysis. Int J Perform Anal Sport. 2007;7(1):35-48.
39. Da Silva CD, Impellizzeri FM, Natali AJ, de Lima JR, Bara-Filho MG, Silami-Garçia E, et al. Exercise intensity and technical demands of small-sided games in young Brazilian soccer players: effect of number of players, maturation, and reliability. J Strength Cond Res. 2011;25(10):2746-2751; doi:
40. Katis A, Kellis E. Effects of small-sided games on physical conditioning and performance in young soccer players. J Sports Sci Med. 2009;8(3):374-380.
41. Dellal A, Lago-Peñas C, Wong DP, Chamari K. Effect of the number of ball contacts within bouts of 4 vs. 4 small-sided soccer games. Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2011;6(3):322-333.
42. Dellal A, Owen A, Wong DP, Krustrup P, van Exsel M, Mallo J. Technical and physical demands of small vs. large sided games in relation to playing position in elite soccer. Hum Mov Sci. 2012;31(4):957-969; doi:
43. Fanchini M, Azzalin A, Castagna C, Schena F, McCall A, Impellizzeri FM. Effect of bout duration on exercise intensity and technical performance of small-sided games in soccer. J Strength Cond Res. 2011;25(2):453- 458; doi:
45. Köklü Y, Alemdaroğlu U, Dellal A, Wong DP. Effect of different recovery durations between bouts in 3-a-side games on youth soccer players’ physiological responses and technical activities. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2015;55(5):430-438.
46. Lizana CJR, Reverdito RS, Brenzikofer R, Macedo DV, Misuta MS, Scaglia AJ. Technical and tactical soccer players’ performance in conceptual small-sided games. Motriz. 2015;21(3):312-320; doi:
50. Impellizzeri FM, Rampinini E, Maffiuletti NA, Castagna C, Bizzini M, Wisløff U. Effects of aerobic training on the exercise-induced decline in short-passing ability in junior soccer players. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2008;33(6):1192-1198; doi:
51. Miranda REEPC, Antunes HKM, Pauli JR, Puggina EF, da Silva ASR. Effects of 10-week soccer training program on anthropometric, psychological, technical skills and specific performance parameters in youth soccer players. Sci Sports. 2013;28(2):81-87; doi:
52. De Villarreal ES, Suarez-Arrones L, Requena B, Haff GG, Ferrete C. Effects of plyometric and sprint training on physical and technical skill performance in adolescent soccer players. J Strength Cond Res. 2015;29(7):1894- 1903; doi:
53. Radziminski L, Rompa P, Barnat W, Dargiewicz R, Jastrzebski Z. A comparison of the physiological and technical effects of high-intensity running and small-sided games in young soccer players. Int J Sports Sci Coach. 2013;8(3):455-466; doi:
55. O’Donoghue PG, Boyd M, Lawlor J, Bleakley EW. Time-motion analysis of elite, semi-professional and amateur soccer competition. J Hum Mov Studies. 2001; 1:1-12.
56. Dellal A, Hill-Haas S, Lago-Peñas C, Chamari K. Small-sided games in soccer: amateur vs. professional players’ physiological responses, physical, and technical activities. J Strength Cond Res. 2011;25(9):2371- 2381; doi:
58. Rebelo A, Brito J, Maia J, Coelho-e-Silva MJ, Figueiredo AJ, Bangsbo J, et al. Anthropometric characteristics, physical fitness and technical performance of under-19 soccer players by competitive level and field position. Int J Sports Med. 2013;34(4):312-317; doi:
63. Bradley PS, Carling C, Archer D, Roberts J, Dodds A, Di Mascio M, et al. The effect of playing formation on high-intensity running and technical profiles in English FA Premier League soccer matches. J Sports Sci. 2011;29(8):821-830; doi:
65. Taylor JB, Mellalieu SD, James N, Shearer DA. The influence of match location, quality of opposition, and match status on technical performance in professional association football. J Sports Sci. 2008;26(9):885- 895; doi:
71. Aquino R, Munhoz GHM, Vieira LHP, Menezes RP. Influence of match location, quality of opponents and match status on movement patterns in Brazilian professional football players. J Strength Cond Res. 2017; 31(8):2155-2161; doi:
72. Gómez MA, Jiménez S, Navarro R, Lago-Peñas C, Sampaio J. Effects of coaches’ timeouts on basketball teams’ offensive and defensive performances according to momentary differences in score and game period. Eur J Sport Sci. 2011;11(5):303-308; doi:
75. Garganta J. Identification, selection, and promotion of talent in team sports: facts, myths and misunderstandings [in Portuguese]. Proceedings of the II International Congress of Editorial Team Sports and High Performance of Training Center [in Portuguese]; 2009.
77. Starkes JL, Ericsson KA. Expert performance in sports: advances in research on sport expertise. Champaign: Human Kinetics; 2003.
78. Rampinini E, Impellizzeri FM, Castagna C, Azzallin A, Bravo DF, Wisløff U. Effect of match-related fatigueon short-passing ability in young soccer players. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008;40(5):934-942; doi:
80. Araújo D, Davids K, Passos P. Ecological validity, representative design, and correspondence between experimental task constraints and behavioral setting: comment on Rogers, Kadar, and Costall (2005). Ecol Psychol. 2007;19(1):69-78; doi:
81. Dicks M, Davids K, Araújo D. Ecological psychology and task representativeness: implications for the design of perceptual-motor training programmes in sport. In: Hong Y, Bartlett R (eds.), Routledge handbook of biomechanics and human movement science. London: Routledge; 2008; 129-139.
82. Pinder RA, Davids K, Renshaw I, Araújo D. Representative learning design and functionality of research and practice in sport. J Sport Exerc Psychol. 2011;33(1): 146-155; doi:
84. Hayes M. Notational analysis - the right of reply. BASES Newsletter. 1997;7(8):4-5.
85. Bradley PS, Carling C, Diaz AG, Hood P, Barnes C, Ade J, et al. Match performance and physical capacity of players in the top three competitive standards of English professional soccer. Hum Mov Sci. 2013;32(4): 808-821; doi:
87. Dellal A, Wong DP, Moalla W, Chamari K. Physical and technical activity of soccer players in the French First League - with special reference to their playing position. Int SportMed J. 2010;11(2):278-290.
88. Dellal A, Chamari K, Wong DP, Ahmaidi S, Keller D, Barros R, et al. Comparison of physical and technical performance in European soccer match-play: FA Premier League and La Liga. Eur J Sport Sci. 2011;11(1):51- 59; doi:
90. Juárez D, Mallo J, De Subijana C, Navarro E. Kinematic analysis of kicking in young top-class soccer players. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2011;51(3):366-373.
91. Nassis GP, Brito J, Dvorak J, Chalabi H, Racinais S. The association of environmental heat stress with performance: analysis of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil. Br J Sports Med. 2015;49(9):609-613; doi:
92. Owen AL, Wong DP, McKenna M, Dellal A. Heart rate responses and technical comparison between small- vs. large-sided games in elite professional soccer. J Strength Cond Res. 2011;25(8):2104-2110; doi:
94. Tessitore A, Perroni F, Meeusen R, Cortis C, Lupo C, Capranica L. Heart rate responses and technical-tactical aspects of official 5-a-side youth soccer matches played on clay and artificial turf. J Strength Cond Res. 2012;26(1):106-112; doi: