The aim of this study was to describe the arterial arrangement of the cervical spinal cord in the hare using the corrosion technique. The study was carried out on 10 adult European hares (Lepus Europeus). The arterial system of the cervical spinal cord was injected using Batson’s corrosion casting kit No. 17. The fusion of the bilateral vertebral arteries was found in 70% of the cases without a connecting branch and in 30% of the cases with one connecting branch just posterior to the fusion. The ventral spinal artery was in connection with the right vertebral artery in 60% of the cases and by means of an anastomosis of two spinal branches arising from the bilateral vertebral arteries in 40% of the cases. Based on the results of this study, it is possible to conclude that there is a high variability of the blood supply to the cervical part of the spinal cord in the hare.
1. Alleyne, C. H., Cawley, C. M., Shengelaia, G. G., 1998: Microsurgical anatomy of the artery of Adamkiewicz and its segmental artery. J. Neurosurg., 89, 791-795.
2. Ashwini, C. H. A., Shubha, R., Jayanthi, K. S., 2008: Comparative anatomy of the circle of Willis in man, cow, sheep, goat, and pig. Neuroanatomy, 7, 54-85.
3. Cheshire, W. P., Santos, C. C., Massey, E. W., Howard, J. F., 1996: Spinal cord infarction: etiology and outcome. Neurology, 47, 321-330.
4. Mazensky, D., Danko, J., Petrovova, E., Luptakova, L., et al., 2012: Arterial arrangement of the cervical spinal cord in rabbit. Anat. Sci. Int., 87, 155-159.
5. Melissano, G., Civilini, E., Bertoglio, L., Calliari, F., Campos Moraes Amato, A., Chiesa, R., 2009: Angio-CT imaging of the spinal cord vascularisation: a pictorial essay. Eur. J. Vasc. Endovasc. Surg., 39, 436-440.
6. Nijenhuis, R. J., Leiner, T., Cornips, E. M., 2004: Spinal cord feeding arteries at MR angiography for thoracoscopic spinal surgery: feasibility study and implications for surgical approach. Radiology, 233, 541-547.
7. Shajmi, M. F., Maziak, D. E., Shajmi, F. M., Ginsberg, R. J., Pon, R., 2003: Circulation of the spinal cord: an important consideration for thoracic surgeon. Ann. Thorac. Surg., 76, 315-321.
8. Schievink, W. I., Luyendijk, W., Los, J. A., 1988: Does the artery of Adamkiewicz exist in the albino rat ? J. Anat., 161, 95-101.
9. Strauch, J. T., Spielvogel, D., Lauten, A., Zhang, N., et al., 2003: Importance of extrasegmental vessels for spinal cord blood supply in a chronic porcine model. Eur. J. Cardiothorac. Surg., 24, 817-824.
10. Šulla, I., Maršala, J., Lukáč, I., 2003: A light-microscopic study of an early phase of paraplegia induced by ischemia and reperfusion in dogs. Folia Veterinaria, 47, 200-203.
11. Šulla, I., Maršala, J., Lukáč, I., 2004: A light-microscopic study of delayed phase of paraplegia induced by ischemia and reperfusion in dogs. Folia Veterinaria, 48, 76-80.
12. Tveten, L., 1976: Spinal cord vascularity IV. The spinal cord arteries in the rat. Acta Radiol., 17, 385-398.
13. Woollam, D. H. M., Millen, J. W., 1955: The arterial supply of the spinal cord and its significance. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry., 18, 97-102.