The field of biotechnology is large and could be considered tritely as simply the development of technology that is based on biology. It is clear that the concepts of biotechnology can spread to cover many different fields of application and so the future developments in biotechnology will be similarly wide-ranging across many fields of applications. Here we focus onto medical biotechnology and further refine our discussion onto considering aspects of genetics and nanotechnologies that could impact on the development of future biotechnologies in the medical field. These areas that we consider in this brief article provide the basis for a panel discussion on Future Biotechnology at the European Biotechnology Congress held in Valencia, Spain in April 2019.
2. Moraes F, Goes A. A decade of human genome project conclusion: scientific diffusion about our genome knowledge. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education 2016; 44(3): 215-223.
3. Wilson BJ, Nicholls SG. The Human genome project, and recent advances in personalized genomics. Risk Management and Healthcare Policy; 2015; 8: 9-20.
4. Ulrich CM, Robien K, McLeod HL. Cancer pharmacogenetıcs: polymorphısms, pathways and beyond, Nature Reviews Cancer; 3(12): 812-920.
5. Wang F. The once and future of medicine. Scıence Insıghts 2018; 2018:e000051.
6. Lino CA, Harper JC, Carney JP, Timlin JA. Delivering CRISPR: a review of the challenges and approaches. Drug Delıvery 2018; 25(1): 1234-1257.
7. Kulkarni KM, Khot AM, Lokapure SG, Jadhav S. A brief review on gene therapy, Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2018; 5(5): 3288-3299.
8. Jaggessar A, Shahali H, Mathew A, Yarlagadda PKDV. Bio-mimicking nano and micro-structured surface fabrication for antibacterial properties in medical implants. Journal of Nanobiotechnology 2017; 15(1):64.
9. Bentley WE, Martin DK, Gotoh T. Biomimetic and bioinspired biotechnology. Biotechnology Journal 2018; 13:1800670
10. Alcaraz JP, Cinquin P, Martin DK. Tackling the concept of symbiotic implantable medical devices with nanobiotechnologies. Biotechnology Journal 2018; 13:1800102.
11. Coyle M, Hu J,Gartner Z. Mysteries in a minimal genome, ACS Central Science 2016; 2(5): 274-277.
12. Tambuyzer E. Biotechnology-based orphan drugs achievements and challenges. Drug Discovery World 2003; Fall: 59-65.