Tetralogy of Fallot (ToF) combines congenital cardiac defects including ventricular septal defect, pulmonary stenosis, an overriding aorta and right ventricular hypertrophy. Clinical manifestation of this defect depends on the direction and volume of shunting of blood through the ventricular septal defect and the associated right ventricular and pulmonary artery pressures. ToF accounts for 3-5% of congenital heart defects or 0.28 cases every 1000 live births. ToF has autosomal dominant inheritance. This Utility Gene Test was developed on the basis of an analysis of the literature and existing diagnostic protocols. It is useful for confirming diagnosis, as well as for differential diagnosis, couple risk assessment and access to clinical trials.
1. Abbott ME, Dawson WT. The clinical classification of congenital cardiac disease, with remarks upon its pathological anatomy, diagnosis and treatment. International Clinics 1924; 4: 156–88.
2. Oppenheimer-Dekker A, Bartelings MM, Wenink ACG. Anomalous architecture of the ventricles in hearts with overriding of aortic valve and a perimembranous ventricular septal defect (“Eisenmenger VSD”) International Journal of Cardiology 1989; 9(3): 341–55.
3. Anderson RH, Weinberg PM. The clinical anatomy of tetralogy of fallot. Cardiol Young 2005; Suppl1: 38-47.
4. Bailliard F, Anderson RH. Tetralogy of Fallot. Orphanet J Rare Dis 2009.
5. McCord MC, Van Elk J, Blount SG Jr. Tetralogy of Fallot; clinical and hemodynamic spectrum of combined pulmonary stenosis and ventricular septal defect. Circulation 1957; 16(5): 736-49.
6. Shinebourne EA, Babu Narayan SV, Carvalho JS. Tetralogy of Fallot: from fetus to adult. Heart 2006; 92(9): 1353-59.
7. Apitz C, Webb GD, Redington AN. Tetralogy of Fallot. Lancet 2009; 374(9699): 1462-71.
8. Roessler E, Ouspenskaia MV, Karkera JD, Vélez JI, Kantipong A, Lacbawan F, Bowers P, Belmont JW, Towbin JA, Goldmuntz E, Feldman B, Muenke M. Reduced NODAL signaling strength via mutation of several pathway members including FOXH1 is linked to human heart defects and holoprosencephaly. Am J Hum Genet 2008; 83(1): 18-29.
9. Huang RT, Wang J, Xue S, Qiu XB, Shi HY, Li RG, Qu XK, Yang XX, Liu H, Li N, Li YJ, Xu YJ, Yang YQ. TBX20 loss-of-function mutation responsible for familial tetralogy of Fallot or sporadic persistent truncus arteriosus. Int J Med Sci 2017; 14(4): 323-32.
10. Qian Y, Xiao D, Guo X, Chen H, Hao L, Ma X, Huang G, Ma D, Wang H. Multiple gene variations contributed to congenital heart disease via GATA family transcriptional regulation. J Transl Med 2017; 15(1): 69.
11. Lu CX, Gong HR, Liu XY, Wang J, Zhao CM, Huang RT, Xue S, Yang YQ. A novel HAND2 loss-of-function mutation responsible for tetralogy of Fallot. Int J Mol Med 2016; 37(2): 445-51.
12. Chen B, Gagnon M, Shahangian S, Anderson NL, Howerton DA, Boone JD; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Good Laboratory Practices for Molecular Genetic Testing for Heritable Diseases and Conditions. MMWR Recomm Rep 2009; 58(RR-6): 1-37.