Emberger Syndrome (ES) is a very rare genetic disorder associated with primary lymphedema, myelodysplasia and immunodeficiency. The syndrome has autosomal dominant inheritance with incomplete penetrance. Sporadic cases caused by de novo germinal mutations in the GATA2 gene have also been described. We developed the test protocol on the basis of the latest research findings and diagnostic protocols on lymphatic malformation in ES. The genetic test is useful for confirming diagnosis, as well as for differential diagnosis, couple risk assessment and access to clinical trials.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Mansour S Connell F Steward C Ostergaard P Brice G Smithson S Lunt P Jeffery S Dokal I Vulliamy T Gibson B Hodgson S Cottrell S Kiely L Tinworth L Kalidas K Mufti G Cornish J Keenan R Mortimer P Murday V; Lymphoedema Research Consortium. Emberger syndrome-primary lymphedema with myelodysplasia: report of seven new cases. Am J Med Genet A 2010;152A(9): 2287-96.
2. Ostergaard P Simpson MA Connell FC Steward CG Brice G Woollard WJ Dafou D Kilo T Smithson S Lunt P Murday VA Hodgson S Keenan R Pilz DT Martinez-Corral I Makinen T Mortimer PS Jeffery S Trembath RC Mansour S. Mutations in GATA2 cause primary lymphedema associated with a predisposition to acute myeloid leukemia (Emberger syndrome). Nat Genet 2011; 43(10): 929-31.
3. S Michelini M Cardone M Haag O Agga A Bruson PE Maltese A Bonizzato M Bertelli. A rare case of emberger syndrome caused by a de novo mutation in the Gata2 Gene. Lymphology. 2016; 49(1): 15-20.
5. Kazenwadel J Betterman KL Chong CE Stokes PH Lee YK Secker GA Agalarov Y Demir CS Lawrence DM Sutton DL Tabruyn SP Miura N Salminen M Petrova TV Matthews JM Hahn CN Scott HS Harvey NL. GATA2 is required for lymphatic vessel valve development and maintenance. J Clin Invest. 2015; 125(8): 2979-2994.
6. Kazenwadel J Secker GA Liu YJ Rosenfeld JA Wildin RS Cuellar-Rodriguez J Hsu AP Dyack S Fernandez CV Chong CE Babic M Bardy PG Shimamura A Zhang MY Walsh T Holland SM Hickstein DD Horwitz MS Hahn CN Scott HS Harvey NL. Loss-of-function germline GATA2 mutations in patients with MDS/AML or MonoMAC syndrome and primary lymphedema reveal a key role for GATA2 in the lymphatic vasculature. Blood 2012; 119(5): 1283-1291.
7. Sang Kyung Seo Kyu Yeun Kim Seo Ae Han Joon Seok Yoon Sang-Yong Shin Sang Kyun Sohn and Joon Ho Moon. First Korean case of Emberger syndrome (primary lymphedema with myelodysplasia) with a novel GATA2 gene mutation. Korean J Intern Med 2016; 31(1): 188-190.
8. Chen B Gagnon M Shahangian S Anderson NL Howerton DA Boone JD; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Good Laboratory Practices for Molecular Genetic Testing for Heritable Diseases and Conditions. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2009; 58 (RR-6): 1-37.