Economic activity that takes environmental protection into account and uses the environmental benefits of an area or country may continuously combine growth with sustainability thereby providing prosperity and societal quality. This paper aims to complement European research on Bioeconomy by reviewing current situation and future trends in Greece. Current data testify that there are significant opportunities for Greece to progress towards a lucrative economy based on renewable resources. The effective growth of such Bioeconomy in Greece depends on the successful cooperation of all stakeholders (state, business, citizens). This is the first study that provides a numerical analysis of the Bio-economy opportunities for Greece and may constitute the foundation for future research, suggestions for policy measures and strategic planning
1. McNeill JR, Engelke P Mensch und Umwelt im Zeitalter des Anthropozan. In: Iriye A Geschichte der Welt 1945 bis heute. Die globalisierte Welt. C.H. Beck, München, S. 2013, 357-534
2. El-Chichakli B, Braun J von, Lang C, Barben D, Philip J. Five cornerstones for a global Bio-economy. Nature. 2016, 535:221-223
3. UN (2015b) The Global Goals for Sustainable Development. http://www.globalgoals.org/de/. access: 5. Okt. 2016
4. EC (2012) Innovating for Sustainable Growth: A Bio-economy for Europe. European Commission (EC), Brussels
5. EC (2014) What Next for the European Bio-economy? The latest thinking from the European Bio-economy Panel and the Stand- ing Committee on Agricultural Research Strategic Working Group (SCAR). European Commission, Brussels, (http://ec.europa.eu/research/Bio-economy/pdf/where-next-for-european-Bio-economy-report-0809102014en.pdf)
6. EC (2015) Closing the Loop - An EU action plan for the Circular Economy. European Commission (EC), Brussels, (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A52015DC0614)
7. OECD (2009) The Bio-economy to 2030: Designing a Policy Agenda, Main Findings. Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Paris, (http://www.oecd.org/futures/Bio-economy/2030)
8. International Advisory Council of the Global Bio-economy Summit 2015. (2015).
9. Communiqué. Available at http://gbs2015.com/fileadmin/gbs2015/Downloads/Communique_final.pdf [27.02.18].
10. European Commission, The Knowledge Based Bio-Economy (KBBE) in Europe: Achievements and Challenges Full report (2010).