The paper presents main results and recommendations of the recent European Workshop dedicated to the evaluation of current state and prospects for Biotechnology with the attention to Central and European countries. The contribution of Biotechnology to the RIS3 strategy is also briefly presented. It is believed that there is still insufficient integration of research and innovation, especially in Central and Eastern European countries. Another problem is the weak interest and lack of mechanisms for the entry of potential investors into biotechnology capital-intensive areas. Series of proposals and recommendations coming from the Workshop on how to increase the regional cooperation in the field of Biotechnology is briefly described together with the potential role of international institutions (JRC-EC, CEI, ICGEB, EBTNA) in such cooperation.
1. Kreysa J. BioEconomy, the key issues in Europe. JRC-EC - CEI - ICGEB European Workshop “Smart Specialization Strategy in the Field of Biotechnologies in Europe: A Challenge for CEE Countries. Bratislava, 2017.
2. Pastorek J. RIS3 in Slovakia. Current state and relevance to biotechnology. JRC-EC – CEI ICGEB European Workshop “Smart Specialization Strategy in the Field of Biotechnologies in Europe: A Challenge for CEE Countries. Bratislava, 2017.
3. Deputy Prime Minister´s Office for Investments and Informatization of the Slovak Republic, Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic, Ministry of Economy of the Slovak Republic, Government Office of the Slovak Republic: Implementation plan. Research and Innovation Strategy for Smart Specialisation of the Slovak Republic. 2017.
6. Paneghetti L, Gallotta A, Parrozzani Ch, Fassina G. Biomarkers development for early detection of cancer: Reducing the burden of cancer in the ageing society. EuroBiotech J, to be published.
7. Nagy BJ, Makó M, Erdélyi I, Ramirez A, Moncada J, Gursel IV, Ruiz-Martínez A, Seco A, Ferrer J, Abiusi F, Reith H, Van den Broek LAM, Seira J, Garcia-Bernet D, Steyer JP, Gyalai-Korpos M. MAB2.0 project: Integrating algae production into wastewater treatment. EuroBiotech J. to be published.
8. Tirsu MS, Uzun GN. Renewables as important energy source for Moldova. EuroBiotech J. to be published.
9. Gartland KMA, Gartland JS. Opportunities in biotechnology. J. Biotechnol, to be published.
10. Findrik Balogová A, Franková K, Tóth T, Bakoš D., Feranc J, Živčák J, Hudák R. Determination of the geometrical and viscoelastic properties of PLA/PHB samples made by additive manufacturing for urethral substitution. J. Biotechnol, to be published.
11. Sládková A, Stopka J, Strižincová P, Šurina I, Kreps F, Burčová Z, Jablonský M, Sekretár S. Microwave-assisted method for extraction of spruce bark constituents. J. Biotechnol, to be published.
12. Mladenović D, Pejin J, Kocić-Tanackov S, Djukić-Vuković A, Mojović L. Enhanced lactic acid fermentation by adaptive evolution of Lactobacillus paracasei on agro-industrial waste substrate. J. Biotechnol, to be published.
13. Kraic J, Mihálik D, Klčová L, Gubišová M, Klempová T, Hudcovicová M, Ondreičková K, Mrkvová M, Havrlentová M, Gubiš J, Čertík M. Progress in genetic engineering of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids in cereals. J. Biotechnol, to be published.
14. Jablonský M, Škulcová A, Malvis Anna, Šima J. Extration of value-added components from food industry based and agro-forest biowastes by deep eutectic solvents. J. Biotechnol, to be published.
15. Burčová Z, Kreps F, Greifová M, Jablonský M, Ház A, Schmidt Š, Šurina I. Antibacterial and antifungal activity of phytosterols and methyl dehydroabietate of Norway spruce extracts. J. Biotechnol, to be published.
16. Legerská B, Chmelová D, Ondrejovič M. Decolourization and detoxification of monoazo dyes by laccase from the white-rot fungus Trametes versicolor. J Biotechnol, to be published.
17. Fira D, Dimkić I, Berić T, Lozo J, Stanković S. Biological control of plant pathogens by Bacillus species. J Biotechnol, to be published.Sparlinek L, Leitner V, Kamm B. Statistical experiment-based optimization of the enzymatic pretreatment of spent sulphite liquors using fungal laccases. J Biotechnol, to be published.
18. Official web site of the Workshop (http://www.ris3-eu-biotech-workshop-2017.eu).
19. Official communication/media tools of FNS of the UCM – web (http://fpv.ucm.sk) and Facebook.
20. Official communication/media tools of ICGEB – web (http://www.icgeb.org), Facebook, Instagram.
21. Official web site of the CEI (http://www.cei.int).
22. Official web site of the ICARST (http://www.icarst.org).
23. Press release sent to TASR (The News Agency of the Slovak Republic).
24. Dettenhofer M, Ondrejovič M, Vasáry V, Kaszycki P, Twardowski T, Stuchlík S, Turňa J, Dundar M, Gartland KMA, Miertuš S. Current state and prospects in Biotechnology in V4 Central and East European countries (Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Poland). Crit Rev Biotechnol 2018, to be published.
25. Dettenhofer M, Ondrejovič M, Kurtanjek Ž, Slavica A, Begovic J, Nedovic V, Tapaloaga D, Tapaloaga PR, Pojskic L, Durmic A, Dundar M, Gartland KMA, Miertuš S. Current state and prospects in Biotechnology in new and pre-accession Central and East European countries (Croatia, Romania, Serbia, Bosna and Herzegovina). Crit Rev Biotechnol 2018, to be published.