3-Oxo-α-ionol ethyl carbonate, a precursor of megastigmatrienones was prepared by reduction of α-ionone to α-ionol, followed by esterification with ethyl chloroformate and then by oxidation with t-butyl chromate. The total yield was about 23%. Infrared (IR) and mass spectra of this compound were determined. Upon smoking, cigarettes to which 0.002% by weight of the titled compound was added had an improved and more harmonious flavor. The smoke was sweeter and had a cleaner after taste. Experimental results suggest that the title compound added to the tobacco pyrolyzes to form megastigmatrienones during smoking.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Roberts D.L. and W.A. Rohde: Isolation and identi-fication of flavor components of burley tobacco; Tob. Sci. 16 (1972) 107K112.
2. Demole E. and D. Berthet: A chemical study of burley tobacco flavor (Nicotiana tabacum L.) I. Volatile to medium volatile constituents b.p. < 84°C/0.00lTorr; Helv. Chim. Acta 55 (1972) 1866K1882.
3. Schumacher J.N. and L. Vestal: Isolation and identi-fication of smoke components of Turkish tobacco; Tob. Sci. 18 (1974) 43K48.
4. Christenson P.A R.G. Eilerman and B.J. Drakę: Oxo-ionol carbonates; United States Patent 4827012 1989.
5. Demole E. and P. Enggist: Novel synthesis of 355-trimethyl-4-(2-butenylidene)-cyclohex-2-en-l-one a major constituent of burley tobacco flavor; Helv. Chim. Acta 57 (1974) 2087K2091.
6. Huan Z. and H. Wang: TIELEI XIANGLIAO HUAXUE (Chinese) [Chemistry of terpenoid f ragrant substances] Chapter 4; China Light Industry Publishing House 1999 pp. 178K224.