The aim of the studies was to determine the changes in the concentration of PAHs in sewage sludge stored under various light conditions. The sewage sludge samples were stored under aerobic conditions. Sewage sludge samples were deposed in darkness, in laboratory conditions and exposed to UV rays. The changes in the concentration of PAHs were analyzed in fourth series: in sludge samples taken from treatment plant (biotic samples), in sludge with the addition of a standard PAH mixture (biotic samples+PAHs), in sewage sludge with addition sodium azide (abiotic samples) and both a standard mixture and with added sodium azide (abiotic samples+PAHs). Changes in 6-ring of PAHs concentration in sewage sludge samples were studied at seven day intervals for 4 weeks. The concentration of PAHs was determination using gas chromatograph-mass spectrometry GC-MS. The losses of hydrocarbons after 4 weeks of research were in the range of 60 to 97%. It depends of kind of samples. In sewage sludge with standard mixture the effectiveness of PAHs decomposition were in the range of 60 to75%. In sewage sludge with standard mixture of PAHs the losses of hydrocarbons were the highest and reached 97%. The final concentration of PAHs in biotic samples was lower (2-13%) than the concentration of analysed compounds in abiotic samples.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Hua L. Wu W-X. Lin Y-X. Tientchen C.M. Chen Y-X.: Heavy metals and PAHs in sewage sludge from twelve wastewater treatment plants in Zhejiang Province Biomedical and Environmental Science 21 (2008) 345-352.
2. Perez S. Guillamon M. Barcelo D.: Quantitative analysis of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Sewage Sludge from Wastewater Treatment Plants Journal of Chromatography 938 (2001) 57-65.
3. Lee E-H. Kim J. Cho K-S. Ahn Y-G. Hwang G-S.: Degradation of hexane and other recalcitrant hydrocarbons by a novel isolate Rhodococcus sp.EH 831 Environmental Science Pollution Research 17 (2010) 64-77.
4. Dz. U. Nr 137 poz. 924 The Decree of Environmental Ministry considering municipal sewage sludge (2010) (in Polish).
5. Bernal-Martinez A. Carrere H. Patureau D. Delegens J P.: Combining anaerobic digestion and ozonation to remove PAH from urban sludge Process of Biochemistry 40 (2005) 3244-3250.
6. Bernal-Martinez A. Patureau D. Delegens J P. Carrere H.: Removal of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) during anaerobic digestion with recirculation of ozonated sewage sludge Journal of Hazardous Material 162 (2009) 1145-1150.
7. Wiśniowska E. Janosz-Rajczyk M.: Selected PAHs concentration changes under nitrate and sulphate reducing conditions Desalination 1-3 (2007) 232- 237.
8. Maliszewska-Kordybach B.: The effect of temperature on the rate of disappearance of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbonsfrom soils Environ. Pollution 79 (1993) 15-20.
9. Trably E. Patureau D.: Successful treatment of low PAH-contaminated sewage sludge in aerobic bioreactors Environmental Science Pollution Research 3 (2006) 170-176.
10. Enell A. Reichenberg F. Warfvinge P. Ewald G.: A column method for determination of leaching of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons from aged contaminated soil. Chemosphere 54 (2004) 707- 715.
11. Włodarczyk-Makuła M.: Changes in the concentration of PAHs in sewage sludge deposit under various temperatures Polish Journal of Environmental Studies 18 (2009) 136-138.
12. Little C. Hepher M.J. El-Sharif M. The sono-degradation of phenanthrene in an aqueous environment. Ultrasonics 40 (2002) 667-674.
13. Feilberg A. Nielsen T.: Photodegradation of Nitro-PAHs in Viscous Organic Media Used as Models of Organic Aerosols. Environ. Sci. Technol. 35 (2001) 108- 113.
14. Bonten L. Grothenhuis T. Rulkens W.: Enhancement of PAH biodegradation in soil by physicochemical pre-treatment Chemosphere 38 (1999) 3627–3636.
15. Conte P. Zena A. Pilidis G. Piccolo A.: Increased retention of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soils induced by soil treatment with humic substances Environ. Pollution. 112 (2001) 27-31.
16. Włodarczyk-Makuła M.: Half-life of carcinogenic PAHs in stored sewage sludge Archives of Environ. Protect. 38 2 (2012) 33-44.
17. Włodarczyk-Makuła M.: Persistence of two- three- and four-ring of PAHs in sewage sludge deposited in different light conditions Desalination and Water Treatment 57 3(2016) 1184-1199.
18. Włodarczyk-Makuła M.: Comparison of biotic and abiotic changes of PAHs in soil fertilized with sewage sludge Annual set the Environmental Protection 12 2010 559- 573.
19. Rosik-Dulewska C. Ciesielczuk T. Karwaczyńska U.: Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) degradation during compost maturation process Annual Set The Environment Protection 11 (2009) 133-142.
20. Rosik-Dulewska C.: Migration of PAHs from unsealed landfills into groundwater Annual Set The Environment Protection 9 (2007) 335-344.