Vibration Problems of an Example of Temporary Steel Grandstand under Human-Induced Excitation / Problemy Drgań Przykładowej Tymczasowej Trybuny Stalowej Poddanej Oddziaływaniom Dynamicznym Wywołanym Przez Ludzi
Lighter and slender structural members of a typical grandstand leads to a significant reduction in the frequencies, that is why such structures are more easily induced to vibrations. The aim of the present paper is to show the results of the experimental tests and the numerical analyses focused on the behaviour of a part of a typical temporary steel grandstand under dynamic loads. The peak values of accelerations of a steel scaffolding grandstand under human-induced excitation have been determined and compared with the limit values concerning the perception of vibrations by people. The results of the study indicate that the human-induced excitation may induce structural vibrations which substantially exceed the allowable limits.
1. de Brito V., Pimentel R.: Cases of collapse of demountable grandstands, Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, 23, (2009) 151-159.
2. Crick D., Grondin G.Y.: Monitoring and analysis of a temporary grandstand, Structural Engineering Report, 275, (2008).
3. Ellis B.R., Little, J.D.: The response of grandstands to dynamic crowd loads, Proc. of Institution of Civil Engineering Structures and Buildings, 140, (2000) 355-366.
4. Falborski T., Jankowski R.: Polymeric bearings - a new base isolation system to reduce structural damage during earthquakes, Key Engineering Materials, 569-570, (2013) 143-150.
5. Falborski T., Jankowski R., Kwiecień A.: Experimental study on polymer mass used to repair damaged structures, Key Engineering Materials, 488-489, (2012) 347-350.
6. Lasowicz N., Jankowski R.: Numerical analysis of a temporary steel grandstand, In: Shell Structures: Theory and Applications - Proc. of the X SSTA Conference, CRC/Balkema, Leiden, Netherlands, 3, (2014) 543-546.
7. Lasowicz N., Kwiecień A., Jankowski R.: Enhancing the seismic resistance of columns by GFRP confinement using flexible adhesive - experimental study, Key Engineering Materials, 624, (2015) 478-485.
8. Majewska-Lasowicz N., Jankowski R.: Modal analysis of a steel grandstand, Technology and Art, 3, (2012) 94-97.
9. Nhleko S. P., Williams M.S., Blakeborough A.: Vibration perception and comfort level for an audience occupying a grandstand with perceivable motion, Proc. of IMAC-XXVII, (2009).
10. Reynolds P., Pavic A., Ibrahim Z.: Changes of modal properties of a stadium structures occupied by a crowd, Proc. of IMAC-XXII Conference & Exposition on Structural Dynamics, (2004).