A multiresidue method (LC-MS/MS) for determination of wide range of anthelmintics was developed. The method covered benzimidazoles: albendazole (and metabolites), cambendazole, fenbendazol (and metabolites), flubendazole (and metabolites), mebendazole (and metabolites), oxibendazole, thiabendazole (and metabolites), triclabendazole (and metabolites); macrocyclic lactones: abamectin, doramectin, emamectin, eprinomectin, ivermectin, moxidectin; salicylanilides: closantel, ioxynil, nitroxynil, oxyclosamide, niclosamide, rafoxanid and others: clorsulon, derquantel, imidocarb, monepantel (and metabolites), morantel, praziquantel, and pyrantel. The method was used to examine the potential presence of anthelmintics in goat and sheep milk and dairy products from the Polish market. A total of 120 samples of milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese, cream cheese, and curd were analysed. None of the samples were found positive above CCα (1-10 μg/kg) except for one cottage cheese in which traces of albendazole sulfone were detected (5.2 ug/kg) and confirmed. The results of the study showed negligible anthelmintic residues in the goat and sheep milk and dairy products and confirm their good quality.
1. Aguilera-Luiz M.M., Vidal J.L.M., Romero-González R., Frenich A.G.: Multi-residue determination of veterinary drugs in milk by ultra-high-pressure liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 2008, 1205, 10-16.
2. Anastasio A., Veneziano V., Capurro E., Rinaldi L., Cortesi M.L., Rubino R., Danaher M., Cringoli G.: Fate of eprinomectin in goat milk and cheeses with different ripening times following pour-on administration. J Food Prot 2005, 68, 1097-1101.
3. Chen D., Tao Y., Liu Z., Liu Z., Huang L., Wang Y., Yuan Z.: Development of a high-performance liquid chromatography method to monitor the residues of benzimidazoles in bovine milk. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2010, 878, 2928-2932.
4. Commission Decision 2002/657/EC of August 2002 implementing Council Directive 96/23/EC concerning the performance of analytical methods and the interpretation of results. Off J Eur Commun 2002, L 221, 8-36.
5. European Food Safety Authority (2012) Report for 2010 on the results from the monitoring of veterinary medicinal product residues and other substances in live animals and animal products. http://www.efsa.europa.eu/fr/supporting/pub/212e.
6. European Food Safety Authority, Scientific Opinion: Scientific Opinion on the suitability of goat milk protein as a source of protein in infant formulae and in follow-on formulae. EFSA J 2012, 10, 2603-2610.
7. Fleming S.A., Craig T., Kaplan R.M., Miller J.E., Navarre Ch., Rongs M.: Anthelmintic resistance of gastrointestinal parasites in small ruminants. J Vet Intern Med 2006, 20, 4350-4444.
8. Fletouris D.J., Botsoglou N.A., Psomas I.E., Mantis A.I.: Albendazole-related drug residues in milk and their fate during cheesemaking, ripening, and storage. J Food Prot 1998, 61, 1484-1488.
9. Furlani R.P.Z., Dias F.F.G., Nogueira P.M., Gomes F.M.L., Tfouni S.A.V., Camargo M.C.R.: Occurrence of macrocyclic lactones in milk and yogurt from Brazilian market. Food Control 2014, 48, 43-47.
10. Gómez Pérez M.L., Romero-González R., Martínez Vidal J.L., Garrido Frenich A.: Analysis of veterinary drug residues in cheese by ultra-high-performance LC coupled to triple quadrupole MS/MS. J Sep Sci 2013, 36, 1223-1230.
11. Imperiale F.A., Busetti M.R., Suárez V.H., Lanusse C.E.: Milk excretion of ivermectin and moxidectin in dairy sheep: assessment of drug residues during cheese elaboration and ripening period. J Agric Food Chem 2004, 52, 6205-6211.
13. Imperiale F., Pis A., Sallovitz J., Lisfchitz A., Busetti M., Suárez V., Lanusse C.: Pattern of eprinomectin milk excretion in dairy sheep unaffected by lactation stage: comparative residual profiles in dairy products. J Food Prot 2006, 69, 2424-2429.
14. Jedziniak P., Olejnik M., Rola J., Szprengier Juszkiewicz T.: Determination of anthemintic residues in dairy products. Food Addit Contamin 2015 (in press).
15. Kinsella B., Byrne P., Cantwell H., Mccormack M., Furey A., Danaher M.: Determination of the new anthelmintic monepantel and its sulfone metabolite in milk and muscle using a UHPLCMS/ MS and QuEChERS method. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2011, 879, 3707-3713.
16. Tsiboukis D., Sazakli E., Jelastopulu E., Leotsinidis M.: Anthelmintics residues in raw milk. Assessing intake by a children population. Pol J Vet Sci 2013, 16, 85-91.
17. Whelan M., Chirollo C., Furey A., Cortesi M.L,, Anastasio A,, Danaher M.: Investigation of the persistence of levamisole and oxyclozanide in milk and fate in cheese. J Agric Food Chem 2010, 58, 12204-12209.