The Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) strains are currently considered important emerging pathogens threatening public health. Among Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli, E. coli O157:H7 strains have emerged as important human pathogens. This study was conducted to determine the presence of Escherichia coli O157 and O157:H7 in raw milk samples and Van herby cheese samples. For this purpose, 100 samples of raw milk were collected and 100 samples of herby cheese sold for consumption in Van province in Turkey were obtained from grocers and markets in order to detect the presence of Escherichia coli O157 and O157:H7. The method of E. coli O157 and O157:H7 isolation proposed by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) was used. E. coli O157 in raw milk and herby cheese samples was found in 11% and 6% of samples respectively, and E. coli O157:H7 was found in 2% of herby cheese samples. No E. coli O157:H7 was detected in raw milk samples. This study showed that raw milk was contaminated with E. coli O157 and herby cheese was contaminated with both E. coli O157 and E. coli O157:H7; therefore, herby cheese poses a serious risk to public health.
1. Akkaya L., Alisarli M., Kara R., Telli R.: The Prevalance of E. coli O157:H7 in raw milk and cheeses sold in Afyonkarahisar province, Turkey. YYU Vet Fak Derg 2007, 18, 1-5.
2. Aksu H., Arun O.O., Aydın A., Ugur M.: The presence of Escherichia coli O157: H7 in various foodstuffs of animal origin. Pendik Vet Mik Derg 1999, 30, 77-81.
3. Alisarli M., Akman H.N.: Investigation of Escherichia coli O157 in retail minced meat. YYU Vet Fak Derg 2004, 15, 65-69.
4. The Community Summary Report on Trends and Sources of Zoonoses, Zoonotic Agents, Antimicrobial Resistance and Foodborne Outbreaks in the European Union in 2005. EFSA J 2006, 94, 122-133.
5. The Community Summary Report on Trends and Sources of Zoonoses, Zoonotic Agents and Food-borne Outbreaks in the European Union in 2008. EFSA J 2010, 8, 1496, 209-220.
6. The European Union summary report on trends and sources of zoonoses, zoonotic agents and food-borne outbreaks in 2010. EFSA J 2012, 10, 2597, 161-188.
7. Arimi S.M., Koroti E., Kang’ethe E.K., Omore A.O., McDermott J.J.: Risk of infection with Brucella abortus and Escherichia coli O157:H7 associated with marketing of unpasteurized milk in Kenya. Acta Trop 2005, 96, 1-8.
8. Aslantas O., Yildiz P.: Isolation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in animal originated foods in Kars region. Vet Bil Derg 2002, 18, 107-111.
9. Caro I., Garcia-Armesto M.R.: Occurrence of shiga toxinproducing Escherichia coli in a Spanish raw ewe’s milk cheese. Int J Food Microbiol 2007, 116, 410-413.
10. Coia J., Johnston Y., Steers N.J., Hanson M.F.: A survey of the prevalence of Escherichia coli O157 in raw meats, raw cow’s milk and raw-milk cheeses in South-East Scotland. Int J Food Microbiol 2001, 66, 63-69.
11. Conedera G., Dalvit P., Martini M., Galiero G., Gramaglia M., Goffredo E., Loffredo G., Morabito S., Ottaviani D., Paterlini F., Pezzotti G., Pisanu M., Semprini P., Caprioli A.: Verocytotoxinproducing Escherichia coli O157 in minced beef and dairy products in Italy. Int J Food Microbiol 2004, 96, 67-73.
12. D’Aubert S., Cantoni C., Sarti A.: Detection of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in foods of animal origin. Arch Vet Ital 1995, 46, 67-72.
13. Dontorou C., Papadopoulou C., Filioussis G., Economou V., Apostolou I., Zakkas G., Salamoura A., Kansouzidou A., Levidiotou S.: Isolation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 from foods in Greece. Int J Food Microbiol 2003, 82, 273-279.
14. Doyle M.P., Cliver D.O.: Escherichia coli. In: Foodborne Diseases. Edited by D.O. Cliver, Academic Press, San Diego, California, 1990, pp. 209-215.
15. Ekici K., Bozkurt H., Isleyici O.: Isolation of some pathogens from raw milk of different milk animals. Pak J Nutr 2004, 3, 161-162.
19. Jo M.Y., Kim J.H., Lim J.H., Kang M.Y., Koh H.B., Park Y.H., Yoon D.Y., Chae J.S., Eo S.K., Lee J.H.: Prevalence and characteristics of Escherichia coli O157 from major food animals in Korea. Int J Food Microbiol 2004, 95, 41-49.
20. Lekkas C., Kakouri A., Paleologos E., Voutsinas L.P., Kontominas M.G., Samelis J.: Survival of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in Galotyri cheese stored at 4 and 12°C. Food Microbiol 2006, 23, 268-276.
21. March S.B., Ratnam S.: Latex agglutination test for detection of Escherichia coli serotype O157:H7. J Clin Microbiol 1989, 27, 1675-1677.
22. Oksuz O., Arici M., Kurultay T., Gumus T.: Incidence of Escherichia coli O157 in raw milk and white pickled cheese manufactured from raw milk in Turkey. Food Control 2004, 15, 453-456.
23. Prescott L.M., Harley J.P., Klein D.A.: Human diseases caused primarily by Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. In: Microbiology. Edited by L.M. Prescott, J.P. Harley, D.A. Klein, Chapter 37, WCB/McGraw-Hill, Boston, USA, 1999, pp. 766-796.
24. Reuben A., Treminio H., Arias M.L., Chavez C.: Presence of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella spp. in food from animal origin in Costa Rica. Arch Latinoam Nutr 2003, 53, 389-392.
25. Rey J., Sánchez S., Blanco J.E., Hermoso De Mendoza J., Hermoso De Mendoza M., Garcia A., Gil C., Tejero N., Rubio R., Alonso J.M.: Prevalence, serotypes and virulence genes of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli isolated from ovine and caprine milk and other dairy products in Spain. Int J Food Microbiol 2006, 107, 212-217.
26. Riley L.W., Remis R.S., Helgerson S.D., McGee H.B., Wells J.G., Davis B.R., Hebert R.J., Olcott E.S., Johnson L.M., Hargrett N.T., Blake P.A., Cohen M.L.: Hemorrhagic colitis associated with a rare Escherichia coli serotype. N Engl J Med 1983, 308, 681-685.
27. Tekinsen K.K., Ozdemir Z.: Prevalence of foodborne pathogens in Turkish Van Otlu (Herb) cheese. Food Control 2006, 17, 707-711.
28. Tolun V., Suluer S., Yılmaz G., Kücüker-Ang M.: The investigation of presence of verotoxigenic Escherichia coli (VTEC) in milk and milk products sold in Istanbul. Turk Mikrobiyol Der Derg 2002, 32, 48-54.
29. Tosun H., Seckin A.K., Gonul S.A.: Acid adaptation effect on survival of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in fermented milk products. Turk J Vet Anim Sci 2007, 31, 61-6.
30. Vernozy-Rozand C., Mazuy-Cruchaudet C., Bavai C., Montet M.P., Bonin V., Dernburg A., Richard Y.: Growth and survival of Escherichia coli O157:H7 during the manufacture and ripening of raw goat milk lactic cheeses. Int J Food Microbiol 2005, 105, 83-88.