The aim of the study was to determine the suitability of basic haematological, biochemical, and gasometric tests in checking the effectiveness of transfusion therapy in foals during isoerythrolysis. The number of red blood cells, haemoglobin, haematocrit, and partial pressure of carbon dioxide, oxygen, and blood pH was determined immediately before and several times after blood transfusion. The concentration of serum free bilirubin was also measured to confirm haemolysis. Fluids (0.9% NaCl, multielectrolytic fluid, 5% glucose) and antibiotics (penicillin, amikacin) were provided to the foals. The lowest values of haematological parameters were observed before transfusion. This was accompanied by decreased partial pressure of oxygen, low pH, and increased arterial carbon dioxide tension. Transfusion of whole blood led to a gradual normalisation of the haematological parameters, also accompanied by the normalisation of gasometric indicators (decrease in pCO2 and pO2 and pH increase). Monitoring of selected haematological and gasometric parameters allows to evaluate the efficacy of blood transfusion during treatment of haemolytic disease of foals.
1. Boyle A.G., Magdesian G.K., Ruby R.E.: Neonatal isoerythrolysis in horse foals and a mule foal: 18 cases (19882003). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2005, 227, 1276-1283.
2. Hauser B., Wehrend A., Bostedt H., Failing K.: Investigations about the diagnostic value of venous blood gas parameters in newborn foals with respiratory disorders. Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr 2001, 114, 197-201.
3. Hurcombe S.D., Mudge M.C., Hinchcliff K.W.: Clinical and clinicopathologic variables in adult horses receiving blood transfusions: 31 cases (1999-2005). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2007, 231, 267-274.
4. Leo A., Pedal I.: Diagnostic approaches to acute transfusion reactions. Forensic Sci Med Pathol 2010, 6, 135-145.
5. Mudge M.C., Walker N.J., Borjesson D.L., Librach F., Johns J.L., Owens S.D.: Post-transfusion survival of biotinlabeled allogeneic RBCs in adult horses. Vet Clin Path 2012, 41, 56-62.
6. Nicholson S.E., Johnson R.A., Craig T., Myers J.G., Durante W., Stewart R.M., Johnson F.K.: Transfusion-related acute lung injury in a rat model of trauma-hemorrhage. J Trauma 2011, 70, 466-471.
7. Nicpoń J., Ratajczak K., Skrzypczak P.: Blood application in horse diseases. Med Weter 2008, 64, 386-388.
8. Nóra N., Tóth B.: Neonatal isoerythrolysis in foals. Mag Allator Lap 2009, 131, 195-201.
9. Orsini J.A., Divers T.J.: Liver failure, anaemia and blood transfusion. Calculations in emergency care. In: Equine emergencies. Treatment and procedures. Saunders Riverport Lane, St. Louis, 2007, pp. 274-278, 804.