The aim of the study was to determine the prevalence of canine dirofilariosis in four provinces of central-eastern Poland and to describe pathological changes occurring during the course of this parasitosis. A total of 188 dogs aged from one and a half up to 16 years were examined for dirofilariosis. Blood samples were analysed for the presence of microfilariae using Knott method, as well as the method of Kingston and Morton. Pathomorphological examination of two dogs was also performed. Histological sections were stained with H&E, AB-PAS, van Gieson, and von Kossa methods. Microfilariae of Dirofilaria repens were found in blood samples of dogs that originated from the Mazowieckie, Lubelskie, and Podlaskie provinces. The mean prevalence of that species was 12.7%. Autopsy revealed the adult nematodes in the subcutaneous connective tissue. Microscopic examinations indicated the presence of microfilariae in the liver, kidneys, lungs, heart muscle, and intestines. Necrotic foci, thrombosis, and infiltrations of different intensity with eosinophils in internal organs were also observed. Significant lesions in different internal organs together with the presence of numerous microfilariae suggest their important role in the disease process.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Araya J. Kawabata Y. Tomichi N. Kaneko K. Hayashi K. Iwabuchi K. Terasaki Y. Kawashima T. Watanabe M.: Allergic inflammatory reaction is involved in necrosis of human pulmonary dirofilariasis. Histopathology 2007 4 484-490.
2. Baneth G. Volansky Z. Anug Y. Favia G. Bain O. Goldstein R.E. Harrus S.: Dirofilaria repens infection in a dog: diagnosis and treatment with melarsomine and doramectin. Vet Parasitol 2002 105 173-178.
3. Cielecka D. Żarnowska-Prymek H. Masny A. Salamatin R. Wesołowska M. Gołąb E.: Human dirofilariosis in Poland: the first cases of autochtonous infections with Dirofilaria repens. Ann Agric Envir Med 2012 3 445-450.
4. Demiaszkiewicz A.W. Polańczyk G.: The first case of Dirofilaria repens invasion in a dog in Poland. Mag Wet 2010 3 254-256.
5. Demiaszkiewicz A.W. Polańczyk G. Osińska B. Pyziel A.M. Kuligowska I. Lachowicz J.: Morphometric characteristics of Dirofilaria repens Railliet et Henry 1911 parasite of dogs in Poland. Wiad Parazytol 2011 4 253-256.
6. Demiaszkiewicz A.W. Karamon J. Jasik A.: Case of Dirofilaria repens in a testis of a dog. Med Weter 2013 69 124-127.
7. Džaja P. Beck A. Kiš G. Kurilj A.G. Živičnjak T. Artuković B. Beck R. Hohšteter M. Zuckermann Šošostarić I.C. Grabarević Ž.: Dirofilaria repens infection in a dog in Croatiaa case report. Vet Arhiv 2008 6 521-527.
8. Dzamić A.M. Colović I.V. Arsić-Arsenijević V.S. Stepanović S. Boricić I. Dzamić Z. Mitrović S.M. Stefanović I. Latković Z. Kranjcić-Zec I.F.: Human Dirofilaria repens infection in Serbia. J Helminthol 2009 2 129-137.
9. Harrus S. Harmelin A. Rodrig S. Favia G.: Dirofilaria repens infection in a dog in Israel. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1999 4 639-641.
10. Iglodyova A. Miterpakova M. Hurnikova Z. Antolova D. Dubinsky P. Letkova V.: Canine dirofilariosis under specific environmental conditions of the Eastern Slovak Lowland. Ann Agric Environ Med 2012 1 57-60.
11. Kamalu B.P.: Canine filariasis caused by Dirofilaria repens in southeastern Nigeria. Vet Parasitol 1991 40 335-338.
12. Kingston N. Morton J.: Trypanosoma cervi sp. n. from elk (Cervus canadensis) in Wyoming. J Parasitol 1975 61 17-23.
13. Knott J.: A method for making microfilarial surveys in day blood. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 1939 33 191-196.
14. Marusić Z. Stastny T. Kirac I. Stojcević D. Kruslin B. Tomas D.: Subcutaneous dirofilariasis caused by Dirofilaria repens diagnosed by histopathologic and polymerase chain reaction analysis. Acta Dermatovenerol Croat 2008 16 222-225.
15. Masny A. Lewin T. Salamatin R. Gołab E.: Autochthonous canine Dirofilaria repens in the vicinity of Warsaw. Pol J Vet Sci 2011 4 659-661.
16. Melsom H.A. Kurtzhals J.A.L. Qvortrup K. Bargum R. Barfod T.S.. Negahban S. Danshbod Y. Sadjjadi S.M. Hosseini S.V. Bedayat G.R. Abidi H.: Dirofilaria repens diagnosed by the presence of microfilariae in fine needle aspirates: case report. Acta Cytol 2007 4 567-570.
17. Ondriska F. Lengyel D. Miterpakova M. Lengyelova B. Streharowa A. Dubinsky P.: Human dirofilariosis in the Slovak Republic - a case report. Ann Agric Envir Med 2010 17 169-171.
18. Pampiglione S. Canestri Trottti G. Rivasi F.: Human dirofilariasis due to Dirofilaria (Nochtiella) repens: a review of world literature. Parassitologia 1995 37 149-193.
19. Pampiglione S. Rivasi F. Angeli G. Boldorini R. Incensati R.M. Pastormerlo M. Pavesi M. Ramponi A.: Dirofilariasis due to Dirofilaria repens in Italy an emergent zoonosis: report of 60 new cases. Histopathology 2001 4 344-354.
20. Pampiglione S. Rivasi F.: Human dirofilariasis due to Dirofilaria (Nochtiella) repens: an update of world literature from 1995 to 2000. Parassitologia 2000 42 231-254.
21. Poppert S. Hodapp M. Krueger A. Hegasy G. Niesen W.D. Kern W.V. Tannich E.: Dirofilaria repens infection and concomitant meningoencephalitis. Emerg Infect Dis 2009 11 1844-1846.
22. Sapierzyński R. Fabisiak M. Sałamaszyńska A.: Several cases of dirofilariosis accidentally diagnosed in dogs from Poland including two positive Dirofilaria repens cases. Pol J Vet Sci 2010 3 545-547.
23. Svobodova V. Svobodova Z. Beladicova V. Valentova D.: First cases of canine dirofilariosis in Slovakia: a case report. Vet Med-Czech 2005 11 510-512.
24. Svobodova Z. Svobodowa V. Genchi C. Forejtek P.: The first report of autochthonous dirofilariosis in dog in the Czech Republic. Helminthologia 2006 4 242-245.
25. Tarello W.: Dermatitis associated with Dirofilaria repens microfilariae in three dogs in Saudi Arabia. J Small Anim Pract 2003 44 132-134.
26. Tarello W.: Dermatitis associated with Dirofilaria repens microfilariae in a dog from Rome. Vet J 2003 165 175-177.
27. Tasic A. Tasic S. Miladinovic-Tasic N. Zdravkovic D. Djordjevic J.: Dirofilaria repens - potential danger to human health. Acta Medica Medianae 2007 46 52-55.
28. Vasylyk N.S.: Morphological and functional changes and adaptation and compensatory reaction in dog’s organism at dirofilariosis. Dissertation presented for scientific degree of candidate of science National Agrarian University Kiev 2004 pp. 10-13.
29. Żarnowska-Prymek H. Cielecka D. Salamatin R.: Dirofilariosis -Dirofilaria repens - described for the first time in Polish patients. Przegl Epidemiol 2008 62 547-551.