The influence of docosahexaenoic (DHA) acid obtained from a new generation of eggs on ventricular electrical function of 24 pigs with experimentally induced tachycardiomyopathy was described. Two groups were formed, 12 pigs had experimentally evoked tachycardiomyopathy and were getting standard feed (control group TIC). Twelve pigs with tachycardiomyopathy received feed with an addition of a dietary supplement containing phospholipids isolated from new generation of eggs at a dose of 1,000 mg of DHA/animal/24 h (experimental group TIC). Electrophysiological study was carried out from an external programmer immediately after implantation of the pacemaker. All the tests were carried out in general anaesthesia. After 8 weeks of fast ventricular pacing at 170 bpm in pigs receiving phospholipids obtained from eggs, a statistically significant shortening of ventricular refraction time was observed during sinus rhythm and also during the ventricular pacing of 130 bpm, and 150 bpm in the group of pigs fed standard feed. The ventricular refraction time in the sinus rhythm was significantly longer after 12 weeks of fast pacing and in the pacing at 130 bpm and 150 bpm it was significantly longer after 8 weeks of fast pacing. Phospholipids containing high percentage of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) obtained from new generation of eggs may contribute to the shortening ventricular refraction period after its oral administration. The n-3 PUFA obtained from a new generation of hen eggs may be an alternative to fish oil source of DHA and other polyunsaturated fatty acids.
5. Jahangiri A., Leifert W.R., Patten G.S., McMurchie E.J.: Termination of asynchronous contractile activity in rat atrial myocytes by n-3polyunsaturated fatty acids. Mol Cell Biochem 2000, 206, 33-41.
6. Kang J.X.: Reduction of heart rate by omega-3 fatty acids and the potential underlying mechanisms. Front Physiol 2012, 3, 416.
7. Leaf A., Albert C.M., Josephson M., Steinhaus D., Kluger J., Kang J.X., Cox B., Zhang H., Schoenfeld D.: Prevention of fatal arrhythmias in high-risk subjects by fish oil n-3 fatty acid intake. Circulation 2005, 112, 2762-2768.
8. Leaf A., Xiao Y.F., Kang J.X., Billman G.E.: Prevention of sudden cardiac death by n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Pharmacol Ther 2003, 98, 355-377.
9. Leifert W.R., McMurchie E.J., Saint D.A.: Inhibition of cardiac sodium currents in adult rat myocytes by 3-n polyunsaturated fatty acids. J Physiol 1999, 520, 671-679.
10. MacLeod J.C., Macknight A.D.C., Rodrigo G.C.: The electrical and mechanical response of adult guinea pig and rat ventricular myocytes to ω3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Eur J Pharmacol 1998, 356, 261-270.
11. Moreno C., Macias A., Prieto A., Cruz A., Gonzalez T., Valenzuela C.: Effects of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on cardiac ion channels. Front Physiol 2012, 3, 245.
12. Pasławska U., Gajek J., Kiczak L., Noszczyk-Nowak A., Skrzypczak P., Bania J., Tomaszak A., Zacharski M., Sambor I., Dzięgiel P., Zyśko D., Banasiak W., Jankowska E.A., Ponikowski P.: Development of porcine model of chronic tachycardia-induced cardiomyopathy. Int J Cardiol 2011, 153, 36-41.
13. Rennison J.H., Van Wagoner D.R.: Impact of dietary fatty acids on cardiac arrhythmogenesis. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 2009, 2, 460-469.
14. Sandesara C.M., Chung M.K., Van Wagoner D.R., Barringer T.A., Allen K., Ismail H.M., Zimmerman B., Olshansky B.: A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of Omega-3 fatty acids for inhibition of supraventricular arrhythmias after cardiac surgery: the fish trial. J Am Heart Assoc 2012, 1, 1-8.
15. Tomargo J., Caballero R., Gomez R., Valenzuela C., Delpon E.: Pharmacology of cardiac potassium channels. Cardiovasc Res 2004, 62, 9-33.
16. Verkerk A.O., Ginnekan A.C., Berecki G., Ruijter H.M., Schumacher C.A., Veldkamp M.W., Baartscheer A., Casini S., Opthof T., Hovenier R., Fiolet J.W., Zock P.L., Coronel R.: Incorporated sarcolemmal fish oil fatty acids shorten pig ventricular action potentials. Cardiovasc Res 2006, 70, 509-520.
17. Xiao Y.F., Kang J.X., Morgan J.P., Leaf A.: Blocking effect of polyunsaturated fatty acids on Na+ channels of neonatal rat ventricular myocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci 1995, 92, 11000-11004.