The occurrence and concentrations of organochlorine pesticides and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) were determined in 141 adipose tissue samples of wild boars, roe deer, and red deer from different regions of the country, collected in 2010/2011. The determinations of HCH isomers (α-, β-, and γ-HCH), HCB, DDTs (p,p’-DDT, o,p’-DDT, p,p’-DDE, and p,p’-DDD), and PCBs (six indicator PCB congeners 28, 52, 101, 138, 153, and 180) were carried out using the capillary gas chromatography. The mean concentrations of DDTs expressed on the fat basis ranged from 0.241 mg/kg (wild boar) to 0.032 mg/kg (red deer), and for PCBs from 0.015 mg/kg (wild boar) to 0.010 mg/kg (roe deer). The mean contribution of p,p’-DDE to DDTs and PCB 153, PCB 138, and PCB 180 to PCBs exceeded 80% and 90% respectively, in all game animal samples studied. Higher contents of chlorinated hydrocarbons were detected in game animals originating from industrial regions.
1. ATSDR (Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry). Toxicological profile for DDT, DDE, and DDD. 2002.
2. Bachour G., Failing K., Georgii S., Elmadfa I., Brunn H.: Species and organ dependence of PCB contamination in fish, foxes, roe deer, and humans. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 1998, 35, 666-673.
3. Covaci A., Manirakiza P., Schepens P.: Persistent organochlorine pollutants in soils from Belgium, Italy, Greece, and Romania. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 2002, 68, 97-103.
4. Falandysz J., Brudnowska B., Kawano M., Wakimoto T.: Polychlorinated biphenyls and organochlorine pesticides in soils from the southern part of Poland. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 2001, 40, 173-178.
5. Hoshi H., Minamoto N., Iwata H., Shiraki K., Tatsukawa R., Tanabe S., Fujita S., Hiraj K., Kinjo T.: Organochlorine pesticides and polychlorinated biphenyl congeners in wild terrestrial mammals and birds from Chubu region, Japan: Interspecies comparison of the residue levels and composition. Chemosphere 1998, 36, 3211-3221.
6. Herceg Romanic S., Marenjak T., Klincic D., Janicki Z., Srebocan E., Konjevic D.: Organochlorine compounds in red deer (Cervus elaphus L.) and fallow deer (Damadama L.) from inland and coastal Croatia. Environ Monit Assess 2012, 184, 5173-5180.
7. Kocan A., Petrik J., Jursa S., Chovancowa J., Drobna B.: Environmental contamination with polychlorinated biphenyls in area of former manufacture in Slovakia. Chemosphere 2001, 43, 595-600.
8. Michna W.: Reports on monitoring of the quality of soil, plants, food, and agricultural products. Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Warsaw, Poland, 1995-2003.
9. Naccari F., Giofre F., Licata P., Martino D., Calo M., Parisi N.: Organochlorine pesticides and PCBs in wild boars from Calabria (Italy). Environ Monit Assess 2004, 96, 191-202.
10. Naso B., Zaccaroni A., Perrone D., Ferrante M., Severino L., Stracciari G., Lucisano A.: Organochlorine pesticides and polychlorinated biphenyls in European roe deer Capreolus capreolus resident in a protected area in Northern Italy. Sci Total Environ 2004, 328, 83-93.
11. Niewiadowska A., Żmudzki J.: Chlorinated hydrocarbons in animal tissues and products of animal origin from Poland. In: Global Contamination Trends ofPersistent Organic Chemicals. Edited by Loganathan B. and Lam P.K.S, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, Boca Raton, USA, 2011, pp. 337-353.
12. Szymczyk-Kobrzyńska K., Zalewski K.: DDT, HCH, and PCB residues in fat of red deer (Cervus elaphus) from the region of Warmia and Mazury, 2000-2001. Pol J Environ Stud 2003, 12, 613-617.
13. Turrio-Baldassarri L., Alivernini S., Carasi S., Casella M., Fuselli S., Iacovella N., Iamiceli A., Rocca C., Scarcella C., Battistelli C.: PCB, PCDD, and PCDF contamination of food of animal origin as the effect of soil pollution and the cause of human exposure in Brescia. Chemosphere 2009, 76, 278-285.
14. WHO (World Health Organization). DDT and its derivatives - environmental aspects. Environmental Health Criteria 83. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 1989.
15. WHO (World Health Organization). Polychlorinated biphenyls and terphenyls. Environmental Health Criteria 140. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 1993.
16. Zasadowski A.: Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in the adipose tissue of wild boars and roe-deer in the region of Warmia and Mazury. Pol J Environ Stud 1994, 3, 43-45.
17. Zasadowski A., Wyszyńska A., Wysocki A.: Evaluation of the contamination degree of roe-deer with cadmium and polychlorinated biphenyls in Warmia and Mazury district. Pol J Vet Sci 2003, 6, 93-97.