A method for simultaneous determination of 13 organophosphorus pesticide residues in milk samples has been developed and validated. The method is based on the extraction of the sample with acetone and petroleum ether, cleanup by gel permeation chromatography, and solid phase extraction, and determination by gas chromatography with flame photometric detection. The recovery, investigated by analysing blank milk samples spiked with azinphos, chlorfenvinphos, chlorpyrifos, chlorpyrifos-methyl, diazinon, fenitrothion, methacrifos, methidathion, parathion-methyl, pyrazophos, and triazophos at concentrations of 10, 20, and 30 μg/kg, and with parathion and pirimiphos-methyl at concentrations of 25, 50, and 75 μg/kg, ranged from 73.1% to 106.2%. Performance characteristics, such as repeatability and within-laboratory reproducibility expressed as coefficient of variation were less than 20%. Measurement uncertainty was lower than 22% for all validated organophosphorus pesticides. The limits of quantification were 10 μg/kg for all compounds and allowed determination of residues at, or even below, the maximum residue limits set by the European Union. The satisfactory z-score results of international proficiency tests confirm good accuracy, reproducibility, and reliability of the developed method.
1. Dagnac T., Garcia-Chao M., Pulleiro P., Garcia-Jares C., Llompart M.: Dispersive solid-phase extraction followed by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry for the multi-residue analysis of pesticides in raw bovine milk. J Chromatogr A 2009, 1216, 3702-3709.
2. Fernandez-Alvarez M., Llompart M., Lamas J.P., Lores M., Garcia-Jares C., Cela R., Dagnac T.: Development of solid-phase microextraction gas chromatography with microelectron-capture detection method for a multiresidue analysis of pesticides in bovine milk. Anal Chim Acta 2008, 617, 37-50.
3. Garrido Frenich A., Martínez Vidal J.L., Cruz Sicilia A.D., González Rodríguez M.J., Plaza Bolaños P.: Multiresidue analysis of organochlorine and organophosphorus pesticides in muscle of chicken, pork and lamb by gas chromatography-triple quadrupole mass spectrometry. Anal Chim Acta 2006, 558, 42-52.
4. Hayward D.G., Pisano T.S., Wong J.W., Scudder R.J.: Multiresidue method for pesticides and persistent organic pollutants (POPs) in milk and cream using comprehensive two-dimensional capillary gas chromatography-time-of-flight mass spectrometry. J Agric Food Chem 2010, 58, 5248-5256.
5. Gazzotti T., Sticca P., Zironi E., Lugoboni B., Serraino A., Pagliuca G.: Determination of 15 organophosphorus pesticides in Italian raw milk. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 2009, 82, 251-254.
6. LeDoux M.: Analytical methods applied to the determination of pesticide residues in foods of animal origin. A review of the past two decades. J Chromatogr A 2011, 1218, 1021-1036.
7. Lehotay S.J., Maštovská K.: Evaluation of two fast and easy methods for pesticide residue analysis in fatty food matrices. J AOAC Int 2005, 88, 630-638.
8. Macedo A.N., Nogueira A.R., Govoni Brondi S.H.: Matrix solid-phase dispersion extraction for analysis of cypermethrin residue in cow’s milk. Chromatographia 2009, 69, 571-573.
9. Melgar M.J., Sentaeufemia M., Garcia M.A.: Organophosphorus pesticide residues in raw milk and infant formulas from Spanish nortwest. J Environ Sci Health B 2010, 45, 595-600.
10. Pagliuca G., Gazzotti T., Zironi E., Sticca P.: Residue analysis of organophosphorus pesticides in animal matrices by dual column capillary gas chromatography with nitrogen-phosphorus detection. J Chromatogr A 2005, 1071, 67-70.
11. Pang G.F., Cao Y.Z., Zhang J.J., Fan C.L., Liu Y.M., Li X.M., Jia G.Q., Li Z.Y., Shi Y.Q., Wu Y.P., Guo T.T.: Validation study on 660 pesticide residues in animal tissues by gel permeation chromatography cleanup/gas chromatography-mass spectrometry and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 2006, 1125, 1-30.
12. Regulation (EC) No. 396/2005 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 February 2005 on maximum residue levels of pesticides in or on food and feed of plant and animal origin and amending Council Directive 91/414/EEC. OJ L 2005, 70.
13. Salas J.H., González M.M., Noa M., Pérez N.A., Díaz G., Gutiérerez R., Zazueta H., Osuna I.: Organophosphorus pesticide residues in Mexican commercial pasteurized milk. J Agric Food Chem 2003, 51, 4468-4471.
14. Wu G., Bao X., Zhao S., Wu J., Han A., Ye Q.: Analysis of multi-pesticide residues in the food of animal origin by GC-MS coupled with accelerated solvent extraction and gel permeation chromatography cleanup. Food Chem 2011, 126, 646-654.