The aim of the study was to show the variability of exterior type in Arabian horses bred in three leading stud farms in Poland. A total of 334 adult animals from the basic herd of stud farms in Bialka, Janow Podlaski, and Michalow were studied. Each horse underwent 26 exterior measurements. In the first stage, the method of exploration of multidimensional data - principal component analysis, was used, and subsequently, a stepwise canonical discriminant analysis. It was found that each stud farm breeds horses with a different metrical pattern. Horses bred in Bialka represent clearly different morphotype comparing to horses from the other stud farms. Individuals from Janow Podlaski are more similar to horses originating from Michalow but morphological variation also occurs between them. From among the 26 metric traits, 10 parameters have a meaningful discriminative power. These include in particular such parameters as the length of the metatarsus, pelvis, arm, and neck, and depth of the chest.
1. Brooks S.A., Makvandi-Nejad S., Chu E., Allen J.J., Streeter C., Gu E., McCleery B., Murphy B.A., Bellone R., Sutter N.B.: Morphological variation in the horse: defining complex traits of body size and shape. Anim Genet 2010, 41, 159-165.
2. Cervantes I., Baumung R., Molina A., Druml T., Gutiérrez J.P., Sölkner J., Valera M.: Size and shape analysis of morphofunctional traits in the Spanish Arab horse. Livest Sci 2009, 125, 43-49.
3. Chmiel K., Sobczuk D.: Estimation of breeding value of purebred Arabian stallions used at the Białka stud with regard to basic measurements. Ann Anim Sci 2007, 7, 55-61.
4. Gharahveysi S., Emam Jome Kashan N., Gerami A., Vaez Torshizi R.: Estimation of genetic parameters on conformation traits of the Iranian Arab horses population. Pakistan J Biol Sci 2008, 11, 280-284.
5. Głażewska I., Wysocka A., Gralak B., Prus R., Sell J.: A new view on dam lines in Polish Arabian horses based on mtDNA analysis. Genet Sel Evol 2007, 39, 609-619.
6. Komosa M., Mintura K.: Jumping predispositions of horses in view of biometric analysis. Acta Sci Pol Zootech 2006, 5, 33-48.
7. Komosa M., Purzyc H.: Konik and Hucul horses: a comparative study of exterior measurements. J Anim Sci 2009, 87, 2245-2254.
8. Łuszczyński J., Pieszka M., Kosiniak-Kamysz K.: Effect of horse breed and sex on growth rate and radiographic closure time of distal radial metaphyseal growth plate. Livest Sci 2011, 141, 252-258.
9. Magnusson L.E., Thafvelin B.: Studies on the conformation and related traits of Standardbred trotters in Sweden. J Anim Breed Genet 1990, 107, 135-148.
10. Pieszka M., Kulisa M., Łuszczyński J., Długosz B.: Biometric parameters of Arabian mares from Polish studs between 1945 and 2002. Biotechnol Anim Husbandry 2005, 21, 89-91.
11. Pieszka M., Łuszczyński J., Baranowska A.: Frequency of limb injures between Thoroughbred and Arabian horses. Iran J Applied Anim Sci 2011, 1, 69-71.
12. Pilarski W., Świeżyński K., Kobryń H., Kobryńczuk F., Radomski L.: Attempt to qualify the horse’s sport performance on the basis of biometric criteria. Ann Wars Agric Univ Vet Med 1993, 18, 13-18.
13. Sadek M.H., Al-Aboud A.Z., Ashmawy A.A.: Factor analysis of body measurements in Arabian horses. J Anim Breed Genet 2006, 123, 369-377.
14. Sobczuk D.: Evaluation of breeding value of leading purebred Arabian stallions based on body dimensions. Roczn Nauk Zootech 2004, 31, 173-180.
15. Sobczuk D.: Estimation of the breeding value of purebred Arabian leading sires used for reproduction at Michalow stud, based on their dimensions. Electronic J Polish Agricult Univ (EJPAU) 2007, 10, http://www.ejpau.media.pl/volume10/issue1/art-18.html.
16. Sobczuk D., Gajewska A., Stefaniuk A.: The influence of purebred Arabian leading sires utilized at Janów Podlaski Stud on biometric dimensions of their progeny. Ann Univ Mariae Curie-Skłodowska Sec. EE 2007, 25, 39-49.
17. Takaendengan B.J., Noor R.R., Adiani S.: Morphometric characterization of Minahasa horse for breeding and conservation purposes. Media Peternakan 2011, 34, 90-104.
18. Weller R., Pfau T., May S.A., Wilson A.M.: Variation in conformation in a cohort of national hunt racehorses. Equine Vet J 2006, 38, 616-621.