A liquid chromatographic method coupled with tandem mass spectrometry for determination of residues of β-lactams, macrolides, tetracyclines, quinolones, sulfonamides, and lincosamides in eggs has been described. Analytes were isolated from egg samples by solvent extraction method and extracts were cleaned by filtration on OASIS HLB cartridges. The whole procedure was validated according to European Commission Decision 2002/657/EC. The recovery ranged between 86% and 110%. The repeatability was below 16% and within-laboratory reproducibility was lower than 20%. The method was successfully applied in the official control of antibacterial compounds residue in Poland.
1. Alfredsson G., Branzell C., Granelli K., Lundstrom A.: Simple and rapid screening and confirmation of tetracyclines in honey and egg by a dipstick test and LCMS/ MS. Anal Chim Acta 2005, 529, 47-51.
2. Bogialli S., D’Ascenzo G., Di Corcia A., Laganà A., Tramontana G.: Simple assay for monitoring seven quinolone antibacterials in eggs: extraction with hot water and liquid chromatography coupled to tandem mass spectrometry. Laboratory validation in line with the European Union Commission Decision 657/2002/EC. J Chomatogr A 2009, 1216, 794-800.
3. Cantwell H., O’Keefee M.: Evaluation of the Premi Test and comparison with the One-Plate Test for the detection of antimicrobials in kidney. Food Add Contam 2006, 23, 120-125.
4. Commission Decision 2002/657/EC of August 2002 implementing Council Directive 96/23/EC concerning the performance of analytical methods and the interpretation of results. Off J Eur Commun 2002, L 221, 8-36.
5. Commission Regulation (UE) 37/2010 of 22nd December 2009 on pharmacologically active substances and their classification regarding maximum residue limits in foodstuffs of animal origin. Off J Eur Commun 2010, L 15, 1-72.
6. Council Directive 96/23/EC of April 1996 on measures to monitor certain substances and residues thereof in live animals and animal products and repealing Directives 85/358/EEC and 86/469/EEC and Decisions 89/18/EEC and 91/664/EEC. Off J Eur Commun 1996, L 125, 10-32.
7. Garrido Frenich A., del Mar Aguilera-Luiz M., Martinez Vidal J.L., Romero-Gonzalez R.: Comparison of several extraction techniques for multiclass analysis of veterinary drugs in eggs using ultra-high pressure liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Anal Chim Acta 2010, 661, 150-160.
8. Hassouan M.K., Ballesteros O., Taoufiki J., Vìlchez J.L., Cabrera-Aguilera M., Navalón A.: Multiresidue determination of quinolone antibacterials in eggs of laying hens by liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection. J Chromatogr B 2007, 852, 625-630.
9. Heller D.N., Ngoh M.A., Donoghue D., Podhorniak L., Righter H., Thomas M.H.: Identification of incurred sulfonamide residues in eggs: method confirmation by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry and quantitation by liquid chromatography with ultraviolet detection. J Chomatogr B 2002, 774, 39-52.
10. Heller D.N., Nochetto C.B., Rummel N.G., Thomas M.H.: Development of multiclass method for drug residue in eggs: hydrophilic solid-phase extraction cleanup and liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry analysis of tetracycline, fluoroquinolone, sulfonamide, and β-lactam residues. J Agric Food Chem 2006, 54, 5267-5278.
11. Jia X., Shao B., Wu Y., Yang Y., Zhang J.: Simultaneous determination of tetracylines and quinolones antibiotics in eggs by ultra-performance liquid chromatographyelectospray tandem mass spectrometry. J AOAC Int 2008, 91, 461-468.
12. McGrath T., Baxter A., Ferguson J., Haughey S., Bjurling P.: Multi sulfonamide screening in porcine muscle using a surface plasmon resonance biosensor. Anal Chim Acta 2005, 529, 123-127.
13. Mol H.G.J., Plaza-Bolaños P., Zomer P., de Rijk T.C., Stolker A.A.M., Mulder P.P.J.: Toward a generic extraction method for simultaneous determination of pesticides, mycotoxins, plant toxins, and veterinary drugs in feed and food matrixes. Anal Chem 2008, 80, 9450-9460.
14. Peters R.J.B., Bolck Y.J.C., Rutgers P., Stolker A.A.M., Nielen M.W.F.: Multi-residue screening of veterinary drugs in egg, fish and meat using high-resolution liquid chromatography accurate mass time-of-flight mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 2009, 1216, 8206-8216.
15. Posyniak A., Zmudzki J., Mitrowska K.: Dispersive solid-phase extraction for the determination of sulfonamides in chicken muscle by liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr A 2005, 1087, 259-264.
16. Schneider M.J., Donoghue D.J.: Multiresidue determination of fluoroquinolones in eggs. J AOAC Int 2000, 83, 1306-1312.
17. Schneider M.J., Donoghue D.J.: Multiresidue determination of fluoroquinolone antibiotics in eggs using liquid chromatography-fluorescence-mass spectroscopy. Anal Chim Acta 2003, 483, 39-49.
18. Stead S., Sharman M., Tarbin J.A., Gibson E., Richmond S., Stark J., Geijp E.: Meeting maximum residue limits: an improved screening technique for the rapid detection of antimicrobial residues in animal food products. Food Add Contam 2004, 21, 216-221.