Background: Transitions in the modern business environment cause significant organizational changes not only in private companies, but also in the public sector. Introduction of an adequate organizational model for the public sector could improve the quality level of public services. Objectives: This article aims to present general benefits of the application of the holding organizational paradigm in the public sector through a parallel analysis of several cases that were observed individually in our previous research. The goal is to suggest possible restructuring directions to policy makers in cities where the public sector has not been adjusted to the changes in the modern business environment. Methods: The case study research based on the documentation analysis, interviews and direct observation using the standard management consulting practice provided an additional and deeper insight into the functioning of public enterprises in one European capital and one small municipality. Results: The examples presented in this paper showed that the application of the holding institutional solution in the public sector leads to an improved command, an increased level of control, reduced management costs, better allocation of city resources and decreased overheads in the public sector. Conclusions: Switching from a functional towards a network model of the organizational structure improved the performance of public enterprises and increased the quality of public services
1. Aharoni, Y. (2000), "The performance of state-owned enterprises", in Toninelli, P.A. (Ed.) The rise and Fall of State-Owned Enterprise in the Western World, Cambridge University Press, New York, USA, pp. 49-72.
2. Bognetti G., Robotti L. (2007), "The Provision of Local Public Services through Mixed Enterprises: the Italian Case", Annals of Public & Cooperative Economics, Vol. 78, No. 3, pp. 415-437.
3. Bosilj Vukšić, V., Pejić Bach, M., Popović, A. (2013), "Supporting Performance Management with Business Process Management and Business Intelligence: a case analysis of integration and orchestration", International journal of information management, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 613-619.
4. Čudanov, M., Jaško, O., Jevtić, M. (2009), “Influence of Information and Communication Technologies on Decentralization of Organizational Structure”, Computer Science and Information Systems Journal, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 93-109.
5. Čudanov, M., Jaško, O., Săvoiu, G. (2012), "Public and Public Utility Enterprises Restructuring: Statistical and Quantitative Aid for Ensuring Human Resource Sustainability", The Amfiteatru Economic Journal, Vol. 14, No. 32, pp. 307-322.
6. Dulanović, Ž., Jaško, O. (2007), Organizaciona struktura i promene, Faculty of Organizational Sciences, Belgrade, Serbia
7. Dulanović, Ž., Jaško, O. (2009), Osnovi organizacije poslovnih sistema. Faculty of Organizational Sciences, Belgrade, Serbia.
8. Fabac, R., Schatten, M., Đuričin, T. (2011), "Social Network Mixing Patterns In Mergers & Acquisitions - A Simulation Experiment", Business Systems Research, Vol. 2 No. 1, pp. 36-44.
9. Fayol, H. (1984), General and Industrial Management, IEEE, London.
10. Garrone, P., Grilli, L., Rousseau, X. (2010), "Management Discretion and Political Interference in Municipal Enterprises, Evidence from Italian Utilities", Local Government Studies, Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 514-540.
11. Hall, D. (1998), Public Enterprise in Europe, University of Greenwich Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR), United Kingdom.
12. Hansen, A., Mouritsen, J. (2006), "Management Accounting and Operations Management, Understanding the Challenges from Integrated Manufacturing", Handbooks of Management Accounting Research, Vol. 2, pp. 729-752.
13. Hawes, D. W. (1984), Utility holding companies, Clark Boardman Co.
14. Hernaus, T., Pejić Bach, M., Bosilj Vukšić, V. (2012), "Influence of strategic approach to BPM on financial and non-financial performance", Baltic Journal of Management, Vol. 7, No.4, pp. 376-396.
15. Indihar Stemberger, M., Jaklic, J. (2007), "Towards E-government by business process change - A methodology for public sector", International Journal of Information Management, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 221-232.
16. Jaško, O., Jaško, A., Čudanov, M. (2010), "Impact of Management upon Organizational Network Effectiveness", Management, Vol. 16, No. 56, pp. 5-13.
17. Komazec, S., Todorović, I., Jevtić, M. (2012), "Application of Process Organization Model as a Basis for Organizational Structure Improvement", Strategic Management, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 41-49.
18. Krivokapić, J., Komazec, S., Todorović, I. (2012), "Forms of Financing Mergers and Acquisitions", In Levi Jakšić, M., Barjaktarović Rakočević, S. (Ed.) Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium of Organizational Sciences: Innovative Management & Business Performance, Faculty of Organizational Sciences, Belgrade, Serbia, pp. 726-730.
19. Longo, F., Cristofoli, D. (2008), Strategic Change Management in the Public Sector: An EFMD European Case Book, John Wiley & Sons.
20. Popović, N., Jaško, O., Prokić S. (2010), Menadžment interorganizacionih odnosa, Serbian economical centre fund: Institute of economical sciences, Belgrade, Serbia.
21. Szabo, I. (2008), "Managing Local Public Utility Companies by Municipal Holding Company: Case of Győr, Hungary", working paper, MTDI, Faculty of Law and Economy, Széchenyi István University, Győr, Hungary, 9 May 2012.
22. Todorović, I., Čudanov, M., Komazec, S. (2012a), "Interrelationships of Changes in Organizational Structure and Technology", In Ferjan, M., Kljajić Borštnar, M., Marič, M., Pucihar, A., Bernik, M. (Ed.) Quality, Inovation, Future: Proceedings of the 31st International Conference on Organizational Science Development, Moderna organizacija, Kranj, Slovenia, pp.1264-1271.
23. Todorović, I., Komazec, S., Čudanov, M. (2012b), "Institutional Model Alternatives for Public Sector Organization: Analysis of Holding Approach - Advantages and Issues", In Ivković, M., Pejić Bach, M., Šimičević, V. (Ed.) Proceedings of the IBC 2012 1st International Internet & Business Conference, Udruga za promicanje poslovne informatike - BIT, Zagreb, Croatia, pp. 96-101.
24. Todorović, I., Komazec, S., Jevtić, M. (2012c), "Benefits of Introducing Holding Institutional Model to Public Sector in the City of Belgrade", In Levi Jakšić, M., Barjaktarović Rakočević, S. (Ed.) Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium of Organizational Sciences: Innovative Management & Business Performance, Faculty of Organizational Sciences, Belgrade, Serbia, pp. 1455-1461.
25. Verkuil, P. R. (1994), "Is Efficient Government an Oxymoron?", Duke Law Journal, Vol. 43, No. 6, pp. 1221-1235.
26. Weiermair, K., Peters, M., Frehse, J. (2008), "Success Factors for Public Private Partnership: Cases in Alpine Tourism Development", Journal of Services Research, Vol. 8, pp. 7-21.