Background: The Framework Programme (FP7) is the main instrument of the EU for financing research, and participation in the programme benefits greatly to countries’ technological development. Objectives: The aim of this paper is to assess the participation of Croatian organisations in FP7 in terms of specific programmes, funding schemes and the coordinator organisations. Methods: In order to assess this participation, two analyses have been done: the first is the analysis of participation itself analysing the basic characteristics of Croatian participation in FP7 using participation data. The second analysis is the analysis of external conditions for participation, i.e. a framework that influenced the quantity and the quality of participation in FP7. Results: Participation of Croatian institutions in the FP7 has the following features: the positive rate of the national and the EU financial contribution; an unequal regional distribution; a small number of projects coordinated by Croatian participants; a low success rate and rare participation in large research projects. Conclusions: Support should be provided to researchers in order to increase the participation in future funding programmes. First, researchers should perform only research and not the project administration since it requires well-educated and trained administration staff. Second, participants in future projects, especially coordinators, should be financially rewarded.
1. Barber, M., Krueger, A., Krueger, T., Roediger-Schulga, T. (2006), “The network of European Union-funded collaborative research and development projects”, Physical Review E, Vol. 73, pp. 036132.
2. Vizek Vidović, V., Bjeliš, A. (2006), “Entrepreneurialism at the University of Zagreb or Managing the Sustainability for Change“, Higher Education in Europe, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 157-193.
3. Breschi, S., Cusmano, L. (2004), “Unveiling the texture of a European Research Area: Emergence of oligarchic networks under EU Framework Programmes”, International Journal of Technology Management, Vol. 27, No. 8, pp. 747-772.
4. Ernst, K., Irwin, R., Galsworthy, M., McKee, M., Charlesworth, K., Wismar, M. (2010), “Difficulties of tracing health research funded by the European Union“, Journal of Health Services Research & Policy, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp.133-136.
5. EC (2013), “Sixth FP7 Monitoring Report. Monitoring report 2013”, available at http://ec.europa.eu/research/evaluations/pdf/archive/fp7_monitoring_reports/6th_fp7_ monitoring_report.pdf (12 August 2013)
6. “Funding schemes”, available at http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/what_en.html#funding (30 June 2013)
7. Geuna, A. (1998), "Determinants of university participation in EU-funded R & D cooperative projects," Research Policy, Vol. 26, No.6, pp. 677-687.
8. Gusmão, R. (2001), “Research networks as a means of European integration”, Technology in Society, Vol. 23, No.3., pp. 383-393.
9. Jóźwiak, J. (2002), “Perspectives from East and Central Europe“, Higher Education Policy, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 263-276.
10. Luukkonen, T. (2000), “Additionality of EU Framework Programmes”, Research Policy, Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 711-724.
11. Mataković, H. (2011), “Analiza participacije institucija iz Republike Hrvatske u Sedmom okvirnom programu, in Barilović, Z. (Ed.), Zbornik radova sa znanstveno-stručnog skupa s međunarodnim sudjelovanjem „Projekti i projektni menadžment“, Visoka škola za poslovanje i upravljanje s pravom javnosti „Baltazar Adam Krčelić“, Zaprešić, pp. 565-575.
12. “Memorandum of Understanding on the Association of Republic of Croatia to the FP7”, available at http://projects.unizg.hr/_download/repository/FP7_Memorandum_13.6.2007.- ENG.pdf (20 July 2013)
13. MZOŠ (2008), “Akcijski plan za podizanje apsorpcijskog kapaciteta Republike Hrvatske za Sedmi okvirni program za istraživanje i tehnološki razvoj 2009. - 2010. (Action plan to raise the absorption capacity of the Croatia in the Seventh Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development 2009 - 2010t)”, available at http://projects.unizg.hr/_download/repository/Akcijski_plan_potpisan.pdf (28 June 2013)
14. MZOŠ (2013), “Akcijski plan podizanja apsorpcijskog kapaciteta Republike Hrvatske za sudjelovanje u Okvirnim programima za istraživanje Europske unije 2013. - 2015. (Action plan to raise the absorption capacity of Croatia for participation in the Framework Programmes of the European Union for Research 2013 - 2015)”, available at http://public.mzos.hr/fgs.axd?id=19518 (21 July 2013)
15. Ortega, J. L., Aguillo, I. F. (2010), “Describing national science and technology systems through a multivariate approach: country participation in the 6th Framework Programmes”, Scientometrics, Vol. 84, No.2, pp. 321-330.
16. Rauch, M., Sommer-Ulrich, J. (2012), “Participation of the Central and Eastern European EU Member States in the 7th Framework Programme: Analysis, Evaluation, Recommendations”, Fraunhofer MOEZ.
17. “Pravilnik o uvjetima za izbor u znanstvena zvanja (Regulation on the requirements for academic advancement)”, Official gazette, 26/2013
18. “Research themes”, available at http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/what_en.html#themes (27 June 2013)
19. Rivera León, L., Reid, A. (2010), “Participation of South-East European countries in the competitive funding programmes for research in the European Commission”, Report to UNESCO-BRESCE, Brussels, Technopolis Group.
20. Rodríguez, H., Fisher, E., Schuurbiers, D. (2013), “Integrating science and society in European Framework Programmes: Trends in project-level solicitations”, Research Policy, Vol. 42, No. 5, pp. 1126-1137.
21. Roediger-Schluga, T., Barber, M. J. (2008), “R&D collaboration networks in the European Framework Programmes: data processing, network construction and selected results”, International Journal of Foresight and Innovation Policy, Vol. 4, No. 3/4, pp. 321-347.
22. Smith, D. (2013), “EU projekti na Institutu Ruđer Bošković (EU projects at Ruđer Bošković Institute)”, available at http://transmedri.uniri.hr/files/DavidSmithRijeka.pdf (28 June 2013)
23. Švarc, J., Lažnjak, J., Perković, J. (2013), “Integration of the Western Balkan Countries and Turkey in the Framework Programmes: Some Empirical Evidence”, Journal of European Integration, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 53-72.
24. “Teaching staff at institutions of higher education 2012/2013 academic year”, available at http://www.dzs.hr/Hrv_Eng/publication/2013/08-01-01_01_2013.htm (25 June 2013)
25. Vence, X., Guntin, X., Rodil, O. (2000), “Determinants of the Uneven Regional Participation of Firms in European Technology Programmes. The 'Low R&D Trap'”, European Planning Studies, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 29-42.