This article is a follow-up to a previous Commentary published in 2011. It updates some of the events mentioned in that Commentary and continues with more interesting and exciting news on stem cell research and the emerging field of Regenerative Medicine. Some of the news includes: 1) the 2012 Nobel Prize for Medicine awarded to John B. Gurdon and Shinya Yamanaka; 2) the cloning of human embryonic stem cells; 3) the continued search for truly pluripotent adult stem cells via in vitro and in vivo protocols; 4) the breakthrough in organ replacements; 5) the global stem cell race; 6) the global stem cell cryo-preservation business; 7) the worldwide stem cell donor registries, and 8) the issue of government regulation on stem cell therapy
1. Wong SC. Stem cells: a personal perspective. Balkan J Med Genet. 2011; 14(2): 7-11.
2. Kelland K. British “test tube baby” pioneer Robert Edwards dies. Reuters, April 10 2013. [http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/10/us-ivf-edwards-idUSBRE9390IE20130410?fe edType=nl&feedName=usmorningdigest.]
3. Mole BM. Cell re-programmers Take the Nobel. The Scientist, October 8 2012. [http:// www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/article-No/32765/title/Cell-Re-Programmers-Takethe-Nobel/.]
4. Editorial. Stem cell research gets a reprieve. New York Times, January 21 2013. [http:// www.nytimes.com/2013/01/21/opinion/embryonic-stem-cell-research-gets-a-reprieve.html.]
5. Mole BM. Geron sells stem cell assets. The Scientist, January 8 2013. [http:www.thescientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/33876/title/Geron-Sells-Stem-Assets/.]
6. Schwartz SD, Hubschman J-P, Heilwell G, Franco-Cardenas V, Pan CK, Ostrick RM, et al. Embryonic stem cell trials for macular degeneration: a preliminary report. Lancet. 2012; 379(9817): 713-720.
7. Cossins D. Stroke patients improve with stem cells. Long-term stroke patients involved in a small-scale clinical trial of a neural stem-cell therapy show signs of recovery. The Scientist, May 28 2013. [http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/35748/title/Stroke-Patients-Improve-with-Stem-Cells/.]
8. Forsyth J. Three arrested for peddling miracle stem cell cure. Reuters News, January 2 2012. [http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/02/usstem-cell-arrest-idUSTRE8010RP20120102.]
9. Freeman L. State judge: Bonita stem cell doctor Grekos should lose medical license. [http:// www.naplesnews.com/news/2013/mar/11/state-judge-bonita-springs-stem-cell-doctorgrekos/.]
10. Maxmen A. Snubbed for a Nobel? A surgeon sues the Nobel Assembly for excluding him from last year’s prize awarded for regenerative medicine. The Scientist, March 14 2013. [http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/34705/title/Snubbed-for-a-Nobel-/.]
11. Yandel K. Suing over a Nobel. The scientist who sued the Nobel committee is now suing Nobel winner Shinya Yamanaka. The Scientist, May 16 2013. [http://www.the-scientist.com//?articles.view/articleNo/35582/title/Suing-Over-a-Nobel/.]
12. Lemaitre B. Toll and Imd pathways in Drosophila immunity. December 4 2011. [http:// www.behinddiscoveries.com/toll/mixedfeelings.]
13. Garwood J. A Nobel prize not immune from error? Lab Times Online, December 12 2011. [http://www.labtimes.org/editorials/e_270.lasso.]
14. Tachibana M, Amato P, Sparman M, Gutierrez NM, Tippner-Hedges R, Ma H, et al. Human embryonic stem cells derived by somatic cell nuclear transfer. Cell. 2013; 153(6): 1228-1238.
16. Cyranoski D, Hayden EC. Stem-cell cloner acknowledges errors in groundbreaking paper. Critics raise questions about rush to publication. Nature, May 23 2013. [http://www.nature.com/news/stem-cell-cloner-acknowledges-errors-in-groundbreaking-paper-1.13060.]
17. Cyranoski D. Rise and fall. Why did Hwang fake his data, how did he get away with it, and how was the fraud found out? Nature, January 11 2006. [http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060109/full/news060109-8.html.]
18. Zhou T, Benda C, Duzinger S, Huang Y, Li X, Li Y, et al. Generation of induced pluripotent stem cells from uine. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011: 22(7): 1221-1228. [http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/22/7/1221.]
19. Roy S, Gascard P, Dumont N, Zhao J, Pan D, Petrie S, et al. Rare somatic cells from human breast tissue exhibit extensive lineage plasticity. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2013; 110(12): 4598-4603. [http://www.pnas.org/content/110/12/4598.]
20. Heneidi S, Simerman AA, Keller E, Singh P, Li X, Dumesic DA, et al. Awakened by cellular stress: isolation and characterization of a novel population of pluripotent stem cells derived from human adipose tissue. PLoS One. 2013; 8(6): e64752. doi:10.1371/journal. pone.0064752. Print2013.
21. Abad M, Mosteiro L, Pantoja C, Cañamero M, Rayon T, Ors I, et al. Reprogramming in vivo produces teratomas and iPS cells with totipotency features. Nature. 2013; 502(7471): 340-345.
22. Yong E. Replacement parts. To cope with a growing shortage of hearts, livers, lungs suitable for transplant, some scientists are genetically engineering pigs, while others are growing organ in the lab. The Scientist, August 1 2012. [http:www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/32409/title/Replacement-Parts/.]
23. Atala A, Bauer SB, Soker S, Yoo JJ, Retik AB. Tissue-engineered autologous bladders for patients needing cystoplasty. Lancet. 2006; 357(9518): 1241-1246.
24. Ott HC, Matthiesen TS, Goh S-K, Black LD, Kren SM, Netoff TI, et al. Perfusion-decellularized matrix: using nature’s platform to engineer a bioartificial heart. Nat Med. 2008; 14(2): 213-221.
25. Leake J. Human hearts created in lab. Medical scientists ae growing the first living human hearts to be created in a laboratory. The Sunday Times, April 3 2011. [http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/health-science/human-hearts-created-in-lab/story-e6frg8y6-1226032807148.]
26. Macchiarini P, Jungebluth P, Go T, Asnaghi MA, Rees LE, Cogan TA, et al. Clinical transplantation of a tissue-engineered airway. Lancet. 2008; 372(9655): 2023-2030.
27. Gallager J. Ground-breaking windpipe-transplant child “doing well”. BBC, July 26 2012. [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18980915.]
28. Girl gets stem cell windpipe in historic operation. “We feel like she’s reborn,” says father, who is originally from Newfoundland. The Associated Press, April 30 2013. [http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2013/04/30/windpipestem-cells.html.]
29. Stem cell agency approves plan for clinical trial network. Los Angeles Times, July 26 2013. [http://www.latimes.com/news/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-stem-cell-clinic-networkcirm-20130726.0.6547528.story.]
30. Maryland Stem Cell Research Commission funds 31 new research proposals in FY2013. PR Newswire, May 21 2013. [http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/maryland-stem-cellresearch-commission-funds-31-new-researchproposals-in-fy-2013-208293131.html.]
31. Kaiser J. Texas’s Cancer Fund lures leading stem cell researcher. Science, May 13 2011. [http://news.sciencemag.org/2011/05/texass-cancerfund-lures-leading-stem-cell-researcher.]
32. Kansas panel approves plan to fund stem cell center. KAKE TV, May 9 2013. [http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Kansas-Panel-Approves-Plan-To-Fund-Stem-Cell-Center-206853481.html.] [http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Kan-panel-approves-plan-tofund-stem-cell-center-4503798.php.]
33. Voorhees S. URMC opens stem cell facility. Your News Now (YNN), December 20 2012. [http://Rochester.ynn.com/content/top_stories/621174/urmc-opens-stem-cell-facility/.]
34. San Diego, CA to host World Stem Cell Summit December 4-6, 2013. Co-organizers of largest Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Meeting include: Genetics Policy Institute, California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Mayo Clinic, The Scripps Research Institute and Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute. Genetics Policy Institute Press Release, April 16 2013. [http://www.online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20130416-907467.html?mod=googlenews_wsj.]
35. Lindsay D. Former BioMalta Head’s Welsh dealings being investigated. Business Weekly, October 3 2013. [http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/2013-10-03/news/former-biomalta-heads-welsh-dealings-being-investigated-2786951170/.]
36. Camilleri I. Former BioMalta Head’s Welsh dealings being investigated. Business Weekly, October 3 2013. [http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20131003/local/Science-guru-I-want-Muscat-toapologise.488695#5bFNdzZg.]
37. Carmichael J. Seabee donates stem cells to save a life. Navy News, August 7 2013. [http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/08/07/seabeedonates-stem-cells-to-save-a-life.html?comp=7000023468025&rank=2.]
38. Androsko D. Robin Roberts returns to GMA. Use of adult stem cells to treat her blood disorder overlooked. National Right to Life News, February 21 2013. [http:// www.nationalrighttolifenews.org/news/2013/02/robin-roberts-returns-to-gma-use-of-adult-stem-cells-to-treather-blood-disorder-overlooked/#.USdUTh-3TyFs.]
39. Tanimoto T, Uchida N, Kodama Y, Teshima T, Taniguchi S. Safety of workers at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. Lancet. 2011: 377(9776); 1489-1490.
40. Blackburn-Starza A. Back up your stem cells for $40,000. BioNews, September 16 2013. [http://www.bionews.org.uk.page_34227.asp.]
41. Certified Mail from FDA to Regenerative Sciences, Inc., July 25 2008. [http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/ComplianceActivities/Enforcement/UntitledLetters/ucm091991.htm#.UfUZa8wvEy0.email.]
42. Kaiser J. US Federal Court says stem cell treatments are drugs. Science, July 26 2012. [http://news.sciencemag.org/2012/07/u.s.-federalcourt-says-stem-cell-treatments-are-drugs.]
43. Wong X, Chan L. China to further regulate stem cell clinical experiments. People Daily|Xinhua, March 8 2013. [http://English.peopledaily.com.cn/202936/8158848.html.]
44. Philips D. Orange County woman meets her stem cell donor for 1st time. KABC-TV Los Angeles News, August 17 2013. [http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=9209966.]