Researchers confirmed that depression and anxiety are two common comorbid disorders in chronic kidney patients. The aim of our study was to screen the level of depression and anxiety in a group of end-stage kidney diseases treated with hemodialysis. The evaluated sample comprised 230 participants; 110 females (mean age 55.5±13.5 years), and 120 males (mean age 54.5±14.3 years). The mean duration of maintenance dialysis was 8.3±5.8 years (from 0.5 to 24 years). Patients were selected randomly from three dialysis centers in R. Macedonia. As psychometric instruments Beck Depression Inventory (BDI) and scores from Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI-201) were used. Our study confirmed that majority of evaluated dialyzed patients are depressed and anxious in different level, but unfortunately the mental problems are frequently unrecognized. We suggested some response measures for management of these conditions in order to avoid risks for complications as well of suicide.
1. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 5; Washington, DC: 2013.
2. Andrade CP, Sesso RC. Depression in Chronic Kidney Disease and Hemodialysis Patients. Psychology 2012; 3, (11): 974-978.
3. Bautovich A, Katz I, Smith M, et al. Depression and chronic kidney disease: A review for clinicians. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2014; 48(6): 530-541.
4. Beck AT, Ward CH, Mendelson M, et al. An inventory for measuring depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1961; 4(6): 561-571.
5. Boulware LE, Liu Y, Fink NE, et al. Temporal relation among depression symptoms, cardiovascular disease events, and mortality in end-stage renal disease: Contribution of reverse causality. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2006; 1: 496-504.
6. Cukor D, Cukor D, Coplan J, et al. Course of depression and anxiety diagnosis in patients treated with hemodialysis: a 16-month follow-up. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2008; 3: 1752-1758.
7. Cukor D, Peterson RA, Cohen SD, Kimmel PL. Depression in end stage renal disease hemodialysis patients. Nat Clin Pract Nephrol 2006; 2: 678-687.
8. Cukor D, Cohen SD, Peterson RA, et al. Psychosocial aspects of chronic disease: ESRD as a paradigmatic illness. J Am Soc Nephrol 2007; 18: 3042-3055.
9. Cohen SD, Cukor D, Kimmel P. Anxiety in patients treated with Hemodialysis. CJASN ePress, September 22, 2016.
10. Craven JL, Rodin GM, Littlefield C. The Beck Depression Inventory as a screening device for major depression in renal dialysis patients. Int J Psychiatry Med 1988; 18: 365-374.
11. Cohen SD, Norris L, Acquaviva K, et al. Screening, diagnosis, and treatment of depression in patients with endstage renal disease. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2007; 2: 1332-1342.
12. Duarte PS, Miyazaki MC, Blay SL, et al. Cognitive-behavioral group therapy is an effective treatment for major depression in hemodialysis patients. Kidney Int 2009; 76: 414-421.
13. Finkelstein FO, Finkelstein SH. Depression in chronic dialysis patients: assessment and treatment. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2000; 15: 1911-1913.
14. Fischer B, Lusted A, Roerecke M, et al. The prevalence of mental health and pain symptoms in general population samples reporting nonmedical use of prescription opioids: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Pain 2012; 13: 1029-1044.
15. Hedayati SS, Bosworth HB, Kuchibhatla M, et al. The predictive value of self-report scales compared with physician diagnosis of depression in hemodialysis patients. Kidney Int 2006; 69: 1662-1668.
16. Hedayati SS, Minhajuddin AT, Afshar M, et al. Association between major depressive episodes in patients with chronic kidney disease and initiation of dialysis, hospitalization, or death. JAMA 2010; 303: 1946-1953.
17. Hedayati S, Yalamanchili V, Finkelstein F. A practical approach to the treatment of depression in patients with chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease. Kidney Int 2012; 81(3): 247-255.
18. Hedayati SS, Finkelstein FO. Epidemiology, diagnosis and management of depression in patients with CKD. Am J Kidney Dis 2009; 54: 741-752.
19. Kimmel PL. Psychosocial factors in dialysis patients. Kidney Int 2001; 59: 1599-1613.
20. Kimmel PL. Depression in patients with chronic renal disease: What we know and what we need to know. J Psychom Res 2002; 53 : 951-956.
21. Kimmel PL, Peterson RA: Depression in end stage renal disease patients: Tools, correlates, outcomes and needs. Semin Dial 2005; 18: 91-97.
22. Kimmel P, Peterson, R. Depression in End-Stage Renal Disease Patients Treated With Hemodialysis: Tools, Correlates, Outcomes, and Needs. Seminars in Dialysis 2005; 18(2): 91-97.
23. Knight EL, Ofsthun N, Teng M, et al. The association between mental health, physical function and hemodialysis mortality. Kidney Int 2003; 63: 1843-1851.
24. Kessler RC, Berglund P, Demler O, et al. The epidemiology of major depressive disorder: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. JAMA 2003; 289: 3095-3105.
25. Kessler RC, Ustun TB. The World Mental Health (WMH) Survey Initiative Version of the World Health Organization (WHO) Composite International Diagnostic Interview (CIDI). Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 2004; 13: 93-121.
26. Kessler RC, Ustun TB. The WHO World Mental Health Surveys: Global Perspectives on the Epidemiology of Mental Disorders. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press; 2008.
27. Kessler RC, Bromet EJ. The epidemiology of depression across cultures. Annu Rev Public Health 2013; 34: 119-138.
28. Kutner N, Fair P, Kutner M. Assessing Depression And Anxiety In Chronic Dialysis Patients. Journal of Psyhosomatic Research 1985; 29 (1): 23-31.
29. Kurella M, Kimmel PL, Young BS, Chertow GM. Suicide in the United States end-stage renal disease program. J Am Soc Nephrol 2005; 16(3): 774-781.
30. Maratos AS, Gold C, et al. Music therapy for depression. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006; (1): CD004517.
31. Moussavi S, Chatterji S, Verdes E, et al. Depression, chronic diseases, and decrements in health: results from the World Health Surveys. Lancet 2007; 370(9590): 851-858.
32. Murtagh FE, Addington-Hall J, Higginson IJ. The prevalence of symptoms in end-stage renal disease: a systemic review. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 2007; 14: 82-99.
33. Ouzouni S, Kouidi E, Sioulis A, et al. Effects of intradialytic exercise training on health-related quality of life indices in haemodialysis patients. Clin Rehabil 2009; 23: 53-63.
34. Paimer S, Vaccio M, Craig JC, et al. Prevalence of depression in chronic kidney disease: systematic review and metaanalysis of observational studies. Kidney Int 2013, 84: 179-191.
35. Pop-Jordanova N, Biofeedback, Kultura, 2008.
36. Pop-Jordanova N, Biofeedback modalities for children and adolescents, Chapter V. In: New Research on Biofeedback. Nova Biomedical Books, New York 2007.
37. Pop-Jordanova N, Pop-Jordanov J. Psychophysiological comorbidity and computerized biofeedback. Int J Artif Organs 2002; 25(5): 429-433.
38. Pop-Jordanova N. Biofeedback application for somatoform disorders and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in children. Int J Med Sci 2009; 1(2): 17-22.
39. Pop-Jordanova N, Polenakovic M. Psychological characteristics of patients treated by chronic maintenance hemodialysis. The International Journal of Artificial Organs 2013; 36 (2): 77-86.
40. Preljevic VT, Osthus TB, Sandvik L, et al. Screening for anxiety and depression in dialysis patients: comparison of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale and the Beck Depression Inventory. J Psychosom Res 2012; 73(2): 139-144.
41. Rosenthal Asher D, Ver Halen N, Cukor D. Depression and nonadherence predict mortality in hemodialysis treated end-stage renal disease patients. Hemodial Int 2012; 16(3): 387-393.
42. Sanavi S, Afshar R. Depression in patients undergoing conventional maintenance hemodialysis: The disease effects on dialysis adequacy. Dialisis y Trasplante 2012; 33(1): 13-16.
43. Shiraziar S, Grant C, Aina O, et al. Depression in chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease: similarities and differences in diagnosis, epidemiology and management. KIReports 2017; 2(1): 94-107.
44. Watnick S, Kirwin P, Mahnensmith R, et al. The prevalence and treatment of depression among patients starting dialysis. Am J Kidney Dis 2003; 41: 105-110.